BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] coaching staff changes

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'new contract' for David Lowe if I were a betting man is merely the formalities of his transfer from academy role to becoming permanent first team coach. When Mowbray first arrived there was a temporary shuffling of the pack with Lowe and Dunn stepping up to the 1st team on a temporary basis following the removal of Coyle's mates. That was only ever an arrangement until the end of the season either to avoid recruiting more staff or because Mowbray preferred people who knew the club/players on his staff to begin with. This 'new deal' will be formalising his move to 1st team coach.

Anyone else notice that in today's article Mowbray is now referred to as 'manager' and Venus as 'assistant manager'? They really can't make their minds up!

Presumably this will mean someone will need to be recruited to do Lowe's old job in the academy, unless he wasn't really doing much to begin with....

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Neville was head of department too.

It has been opinion for quite some time that Rovers are lacking in fitness and stamina.

In my view it dates back to at least the appointment of Bowyer and maybe even to Kean.

Managers who were ex-staff coaches brought with them a player matey approach and Coyle took it to new levels, downwards that is. That could permeate throughout the club.

Perhaps Mowbray wants to shake up the basics. I hope he does and we get as fit as the proverbial.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Neville was head of department too.

It has been opinion for quite some time that Rovers are lacking in fitness and stamina.

In my view it dates back to at least the appointment of Bowyer and maybe even to Kean.

It was quite noticeable in Kean's second season how we struggled towards the end of games. Well, we struggled during the entirety of games under that absolute helmet, but purely in terms of fitness.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

'new contract' for David Lowe if I were a betting man is merely the formalities of his transfer from academy role to becoming permanent first team coach. When Mowbray first arrived there was a temporary shuffling of the pack with Lowe and Dunn stepping up to the 1st team on a temporary basis following the removal of Coyle's mates. That was only ever an arrangement until the end of the season either to avoid recruiting more staff or because Mowbray preferred people who knew the club/players on his staff to begin with. This 'new deal' will be formalising his move to 1st team coach.

Anyone else notice that in today's article Mowbray is now referred to as 'manager' and Venus as 'assistant manager'? They really can't make their minds up!

Presumably this will mean someone will need to be recruited to do Lowe's old job in the academy, unless he wasn't really doing much to begin with....

Not bad work for somebody who was allegedly binned off and got paid up 18 months ago. The story goes that he went bleating to Barry Bling who gave him his job back and now the farce appears to be complete.

Joke of a Club and shows no sign of ending

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

This suggests to me that Lowe has been pushed if not forced onto Mowbray or does TM know him from a previous life?

If TM falls short then the new manager is in waiting. Frightening.

Bad vibes sbout this.

12 hours ago, DE. said:

It was quite noticeable in Kean's second season how we struggled towards the end of games. Well, we struggled during the entirety of games under that absolute helmet, but purely in terms of fitness.

Agreed re Kean and the fitness levels appeared to start to fall during his time and have continued to to drop.

The longest running factor in the period is however Neville who joined at the time of Appleton.

During this period he was also invoved in WC Brazil with the England squad and we know what happened there.

Maybe Lowe has certain connections ?    We know a certain mob seems to be obliged to keep a presence at Ewood with a combination of some players, past/present directors/shadow directors, coaches, managers and probably gofers etc.

15 hours ago, mhead said:

Cost cutting?

Something has to come out of the 800k exercise just completed.

Rush to be promoted. Lowe promoted recently and is it Benson the goalie coach who replaced keely? All below par appointments for a club aiming to compete in the championship. In any management structure you look to bring in the best.

2 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Rush to be promoted. Lowe promoted recently and is it Benson the goalie coach who replaced keely? All below par appointments for a club aiming to compete in the championship. In any management structure you look to bring in the best.

We are in League 1. Did you miss that? 

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Maybe Lowe has certain connections ?    We know a certain mob seems to be obliged to keep a presence at Ewood with a combination of some players, past/present directors/shadow directors, coaches, managers and probably gofers etc.

Or maybe he is good at his job

15 hours ago, mhead said:

Cost cutting?

Something has to come out of the 800k exercise just completed.

Neville has left for his own reasons. I think he got something line up possibly in Rugby League as he is a big fan of it

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

if look at Mowbray's comments when he announces the changes to the staff and him bring Mark Venus as number 2 and Lowe as first team coach, he talked about Lowe and what he liked about him

10 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Benson replace Coyle Gk coach of Phil Hughes when Coyle and his staff were sacked. Keeley left when Bowyer was sacked as Lambert brought in Batty as his GK coach.

J*B, has mention that someone called Mark Bradley is coming in to join the fitness staff and possibly to be charge of the department

Benson is a below par appointment? really? look at the work he done with Raya and Fisher and how much better Raya looks now compare to 2 seasons ago. so much improvement so Benson deserved some of the praise.

Well whatever Neville brought to the party it rarely showed at first team level although of course mostly weak management played a part in that i suppose. Days off just do enough mentality follwed by brief double training which upset the wallflowers then holiday camp doughnut mode.

Hopefully TM and his new crew put fitness and workrate top of the agenda to compensate for any lack of quality.

It could be that TM has been really fortunate to find some hidden coaching gems among our junior coaches. Or they've been all he can have/foisted on them because they are cheaper. 

Don't let the fact they haven't had bigger roles elsewhere make you think it's the latter. After all, Venkys have no history of downgrading or going for the cheaper option...

15 hours ago, Blue blood said:

It could be that TM has been really fortunate to find some hidden coaching gems among our junior coaches. Or they've been all he can have/foisted on them because they are cheaper. 

Don't let the fact they haven't had bigger roles elsewhere make you think it's the latter. After all, Venkys have no history of downgrading or going for the cheaper option...

In fairness, they have paid out millions hiring and subsequently firing managers and their management teams. Berg, Appleton, Lambert, Coyle. The list goes on and on. 10 million or more with no progression or noticeable improvement. I see nothing wrong with promoting from within if people are up to it. 

21 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Wasn't he sacked two years ago only to be reemployed?

That is certainly a rumour that I have seen a few times but never any confirmation.

Therefore he's been at Rovers since 2011 and his career has progressed upwards.

I am happy that TM is happy with him.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That is certainly a rumour that I have seen a few times but never any confirmation.

Therefore he's been at Rovers since 2011 and his career has progressed upwards.

I am happy that TM is happy with him.

He was sacked/made redundant at some point when Bowyer was manager I think.

A short time later he was then brought back to the club I think when Paul Lambert was in charge.

The club has never confirmed this though.

Archived