BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] coaching staff changes

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness, they have paid out millions hiring and subsequently firing managers and their management teams. Berg, Appleton, Lambert, Coyle. The list goes on and on. 10 million or more with no progression or noticeable improvement. I see nothing wrong with promoting from within if people are up to it. 

I'm happy for promoting people if up to it as well. Problem is despite spending loads on managers (or perhaps because of it) they do tend to go for the cheaper option - Bowyer when we still had a decent budget/team, Clueless instead of Warnock this summer. And it shows itself in the playing staff as well as the coaching staff. It's one of Venkys stupid consistencies.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/27/2017 at 13:01, RoverCanada said:

I know that. Where does the £400k each figure come from?

Anybody...?

(I'll admit my skepticism given we spent £200k on auditors (for both auditing and non-auditing activities, as the books define it) in the past two years combined. It would take some heroic fee and man-day assumptions to come up with £800k of consulting fees)

Just now, RoverCanada said:

Anybody...?

(I'll admit my skepticism given we spent £200k on auditors (for both auditing and non-auditing activities, as the books define it) in the past two years combined. It would take some heroic fee and man-day assumptions to come up with £800k of consulting fees)

Kamy and I believe Nixon quoted it at the time.

3 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Anybody...?

Teams from Deloittes and KPMG both involved for at least 4 weeks then analysis, presentation etc.

I think on here it was said at least 10 persons per team.

I have only seen the cost estimate on here.

Whatever it really was I know it will not have been cheap.

Perhaps we should ask the LT to find out.....

What I am suprised with is how little information has leaked out and don't know if that is good or bad.

On 2017-6-28 at 13:33, AllRoverAsia said:

That is certainly a rumour that I have seen a few times but never any confirmation.

Therefore he's been at Rovers since 2011 and his career has progressed upwards.

I am happy that TM is happy with him.

The teams never progressed though, so what do you learn from that.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, JAL said:

Most likely that a youth coach doesn't interfere with the first team.

7 hours ago, JAL said:

That I should not post anything of a positive nature on the MB even in reference to an individuals career path?

That I should be as miserable as feck every single day, which I am pretty good at anyway?

That I should check who his agent is above all else?

That as it's past 1 pm on a Friday I should call it the weekend already and go bar hopping?

That I should always follow my own 5 minute rule and delay posting in haste? (But as others don't why should I bother).

Check Mike E's post above for the answer to your question.

Have a nice weekend.

12 hours ago, Mike E said:

Most likely that a youth coach doesn't interfere with the first team.

He aint that good imo and as tomphil points out most probably whoever influences behind the scenes elevated this guy from the under 15's last year dropped previously from the under 18's for the more impressive Billy Bar and his assistant who's gone to Burnley yet somehow now finds himself first team coach.

Maybe parsons will wish to share more ?

• Backroom
1 minute ago, JAL said:

He aint that good imo and as tomphil points out most probably whoever influences behind the scenes elevated this guy from the under 15's last year dropped previously from the under 18's for the more impressive Billy Bar and his assistant who's gone to Burnley yet somehow now finds himself first team coach.

And since the change was made, we've played much better and turned around our points per game stats. Unfortunately it came too late.

In any case, I thought 'the buck' stops with the manager? So if he's a poor choice of coach, you get rid of Mowbray for hiring him OR you could wait til a ball's been kicked (based on a positive turnaround and the fact he's been a youth coach while many of our players made it into the first team -particularlyseeing an improvement in Raya from his first spell in the team to his most recent games) and see what he has to offer with a longer term 1st team role...

Just because someone is sacked, doesn't mean they were crap.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

And since the change was made, we've played much better and turned around our points per game stats. Unfortunately it came too late.

In any case, I thought 'the buck' stops with the manager? So if he's a poor choice of coach, you get rid of Mowbray for hiring him OR you could wait til a ball's been kicked (based on a positive turnaround and the fact he's been a youth coach while many of our players made it into the first team -particularlyseeing an improvement in Raya from his first spell in the team to his most recent games) and see what he has to offer with a longer term 1st team role...

Just because someone is sacked, doesn't mean they were crap.

At this moment in time Tony Mowbray starts off as a crap manager as he failed to stop Rovers from dropping into the Third tier of English football with regards to the promotion of David Lowe you've got to be suspicious of the move. 

Agree about someone who's sacked doesn't mean they are poor if they've gone on to improve themselves through extra qualifications and added experience.

7 minutes ago, JAL said:

At this moment in time Tony Mowbray starts off as a crap manager as he failed to stop Rovers from dropping into the Third tier of English football with regards to the promotion of David Lowe you've got to be suspicious of the move. 

Agree about someone who's sacked doesn't mean they are poor if they've gone on to improve themselves through extra qualifications and added experience.

Stop will ya.... or use a bit of skill when trolling 

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Stop will ya.... or use a bit of skill when trolling 

Unless anyone is away with the fairies or head firmly up their derrier that's the brutal truth it's upto Tony to turn it around which we all wish him the very best but that shouldn't ignore his recent failings and dress them up as if he did well.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, JAL said:

Experience such as improving the game of our young goalkeeper?

As for the other 'points', no I don't 'have to' be suspicious of David Lowe at all, I'm normal :lol:

Can't argue with Mowbray failing to stop our relegation, but you do him a disservice by dismissing the fact we were OUT under Coyle, while Mowbray came within a gnat's hair's breadth of keeping us up.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Experience such as improving the game of our young goalkeeper?

As for the other 'points', no I don't 'have to' be suspicious of David Lowe at all, I'm normal :lol:

Can't argue with Mowbray failing to stop our relegation, but you do him a disservice by dismissing the fact we were OUT under Coyle, while Mowbray came within a gnat's hair's breadth of keeping us up.

Mowbray failed to keep Rovers up Mike E, as for Lowe, the point is his record isn't that good at youth level, that's all.  As for improving the keeper that won't be Lowe if, he has improved at all which is debatable.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, JAL said:

Mowbray failed to keep Rovers up Mike E, as for Lowe, the point is his record isn't that good at youth level, that's all.  As for improving the keeper that won't be Lowe if, he has improved at all which is debatable.

Re: keeper, I meant Benson.

Yes he failed to keep us up. But it would've virtually been beyond our expectations if he had!

13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Yes he failed to keep us up. But it would've virtually been beyond our expectations if he had!

Our expectations obviously differ greatly .

6 hours ago, JAL said:

Give over TM can't be blamed for any of that. It was too late in the day time he arrived he did his best that blame is at OC doorstep.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, JAL said:

Given that we only lost 3 matches under him (after losing so much under Coyle), I'm not sure how you could've expected survival from Mowbray on the day he was hired. 

4 minutes ago, JAL said:

Our expectations obviously differ greatly a bit like an offsted inspector watching a QEGS teacher perform or attempt to in 2017.

Did you mean the Ofsted JAL? stay behind for extracurricular activities! what are your expectations out of interest? 

I think Gallagher failed to keep us up when he gave the ball away in the corner v PNE in the 93rd minute.

From what I've seen and heard to date Tony Mowbray could be a modern day Gordon Lee, I'd settle for that.

10 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Did you mean the Ofsted JAL? stay behind for extracurricular activities! what are your expectations out of interest? 

I think Gallagher failed to keep us up when he gave the ball away in the corner v PNE in the 93rd minute.

From what I've seen and heard to date Tony Mowbray could be a modern day Gordon Lee, I'd settle for that.

That evokes some memories with the aspen coaches Miss can't remember the names.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Who cares about his youth team record tbh. If Mowbray wants in his coaching.team then I trust Mowbray enough to make the right call

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

He got 22 points from 15 games. Cant expect much more tbh

53 minutes ago, JAL said:

What are your expectations then?

Burton were 2 points ahead of us then Mowbray got appointed then we played them, out of interest how many points did they finish higher? Did Nigel Clough get more than 22points from his 15 games? About the same? How many did lee Johnson get in last 15? 

Archived