BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] coaching staff changes

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mowbray did quite a good job from a difficult position, but 15 games is quite a decent number to turn it around in and he didn't.  The jury is still out for me, despite all the good interviews.

I think, depending on how you viewed the quality of the squad, that you can make a reasonable argument that he failed.  It's quite normal for mid table teams to tail off towards the end of the season and see teams in and around the bottom or near the play offs go on good runs (like we did under Bowyer his first full season, 12 games unbeaten).  That should be taken into account.

TM has had success and failure in the past, let's hope it's the former this time.

3 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I think Mowbray did quite a good job from a difficult position, but 15 games is quite a decent number to turn it around in and he didn't.  The jury is still out for me, despite all the good interviews.

I think, depending on how you viewed the quality of the squad, that you can make a reasonable argument that he failed.  It's quite normal for mid table teams to tail off towards the end of the season and see teams in and around the bottom or near the play offs go on good runs (like we did under Bowyer his first full season, 12 games unbeaten).  That should be taken into account.

TM has had success and failure in the past, let's hope it's the former this time.

Excellent summary. 

IMO he did a decent job but not a good one. I do wish people wouldn't go to such extremes - apart from with Venkeys, nothing in football is quite that black and white. I like TM and think he could well have a good season but let's not pretend he's done excellently with us. 

The biggest problem Mowbray had was the absolute mess and stink of unprofessionalism Coyle left behind. That was his biggest battle IMO. We couldn't defend, could not stop leaking goals, could not stop conceding late goals and were unfit. Mowbray saw the issues and tried to address them, but the damage had been done under Coyle. Mowbray almost performed the great escape. Luck was not with us near the end. We needed some luck. 

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Theze guys had the luxury of picking their own teams and one even had chelsea's best young striker, arguably.

Yes but arguably you'd consider rovers to have had the better squad. Danny Graham and Charlie Mulgrew amongst others and in doing so complimented with additions of Joao and Emnes usually on wages what Burton could only dream off.

Both blue blood and blueandwhite hit the nail on the head. TM should not be immune completely from critique. Awarding a new contract I thought was daft until he's actually proved something or started this season with a bang. I can understand why he'd want to bring on Venus, out of interest how long is Venus contract?

You can't turn things around when teams in & around you are also picking points up & you can't legislate for a Huddersfield manager playing a weakened side against 1 of your rivals. When TM arrived the players had already down tools (some) & team morale had already nosedived. He came in grabbed things by the scruff of the neck & replaced negativity with positivity by speaking common sense & applying changes which were desperately needed. In the circumstances he did a blinding job albeit not enough to prevent the big R I can't think of anyone else who could have done better with the resources in hand.

3 minutes ago, Bluebandit said:

You can't turn things around when teams in & around you are also picking points up & you can't legislate for a Huddersfield manager playing a weakened side against 1 of your rivals. When TM arrived the players had already down tools (some) & team morale had already nosedived. He came in grabbed things by the scruff of the neck & replaced negativity with positivity by speaking common sense & applying changes which were desperately needed. In the circumstances he did a blinding job albeit not enough to prevent the big R I can't think of anyone else who could have done better with the resources in hand.

He could have done something at home to Preston like beefing up defence or midfield but he wackhed on strikers and we conceded. He could equally have got them set up right at home to Barnsley. As I said not immune from critique and certainly not blameless on the big R.

Yes we could go on all day he could should have done this he didnt in hindsight. In games where results were forthcoming you get the credit so only right get the pelters when things don't go plan. I agree though that going forwards TM is not beyond reproach no-one should be to be fair.

Any news on candidates to fill the vacancies at the club? Given pre-season is now underway and an anticipated promotion push ahead of us I would expect the club to be moving swiftly to fill these jobs.

Director of Football - vacated upon Paul Senior's resignation in May - no official confirmation from the club as to whether this job still exists or not - if not then why not - why was Senior appointed - why is that job no longer required - why is Mowbray still Head Coach?

Head of Academy Coaching - the position occupied by David Lowe until February when he temporarily stepped up to assist Tony Mowbray - it has now been confirmed that Lowe will be remaining with the senior squad as 1st team coach - so presumably someone will need to take over his duties in the academy? If not needed then what was Lowe doing in the first place?

Head of Athletic Performance - a vacancy created last week when Chris Neville announced his decision to leave the club - presumably he gave the club a notice period and didn't just walk out one day and not return - so surely the club must have people lined up to take over his duties? If not why not? Seems to me to be an important time for such a person to get to know the squad and get fitness levels up to the necessary standard ahead of the new season.

No mention whatsoever anywhere about these positions being filled any time soon. Is it just shuffling the pack and hoping to get by without bringing anyone else into the club?

Eric Kinder is listed as Head of Academy on Rovers website

Ignore that! They have not updated it even though it's a completely new iFollow friendly website!

It still reads:

Head Coach: Tony Mowbray
Assistant Manager: David Lowe
First Team Coach: David Dunn
Goalkeeping Coach: Ben Benson
Head of Academy: Eric Kinder

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Any news on candidates to fill the vacancies at the club? Given pre-season is now underway and an anticipated promotion push ahead of us I would expect the club to be moving swiftly to fill these jobs.

Director of Football - vacated upon Paul Senior's resignation in May - no official confirmation from the club as to whether this job still exists or not - if not then why not - why was Senior appointed - why is that job no longer required - why is Mowbray still Head Coach?

Head of Academy Coaching - the position occupied by David Lowe until February when he temporarily stepped up to assist Tony Mowbray - it has now been confirmed that Lowe will be remaining with the senior squad as 1st team coach - so presumably someone will need to take over his duties in the academy? If not needed then what was Lowe doing in the first place?

Head of Athletic Performance - a vacancy created last week when Chris Neville announced his decision to leave the club - presumably he gave the club a notice period and didn't just walk out one day and not return - so surely the club must have people lined up to take over his duties? If not why not? Seems to me to be an important time for such a person to get to know the squad and get fitness levels up to the necessary standard ahead of the new season.

No mention whatsoever anywhere about these positions being filled any time soon. Is it just shuffling the pack and hoping to get by without bringing anyone else into the club?

C'mon. Stop bringing fact into this. You're ruining the positivity.

Next you'll be talking about how small our squad is.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think it is self explanatory that we don't need a DOF in League 1 

I don't see what the difference is just because we're in a lower division.

If you need a Director of Football in the Championship then why wouldn't you need one in League One?

So the standard is lower and the revenues are less. That doesn't suddenly mean the job becomes redundant. We still have to assemble a squad, still have to play matches every week and have transfer windows and contracts to sort out.

Its worth bearing in mind that every other League One club has a board of directors, a Chairman, CEO, MD etc. who are experienced football people who live/work in the area and know what is going on. We don't have any of those so naturally a D of F assumes even greater importance at Rovers than it would at other clubs.

Fleetwood have a Technical Director and a Chairman. It hasn't done them any harm. Why do we not need either?

• Backroom

Yeah it's like saying you don't need centre backs in lower divisions! It should be whatever structure suits the club (I don't approve of our 'no structure' approach though.

Oh come on, lots of fans on here were complaining that Seniors role was a waste of salary in League 1. Now he is gone he is wanted back. 

We definitely do need a John Williams type though. It is our biggest issue I would say. Pity those stupid f**** didn't put the 800,000 audit fee towards someones salary to fulfill that role

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh come on, lots of fans on here were complaining that Seniors role was a waste of salary in League 1. Now he is gone he is wanted back. 

We definitely do need a John Williams type though. It is our biggest issue I would say. Pity those stupid f**** didn't put the 800,000 audit fee towards someones salary to fulfill that role

A decent person MD would be able to identify easily what the auditors have been asked to do.

Still Mike Cheston the accountant and former auditor still prevails as MD at Ewood, it really is strange.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So that's Kinder, Lowe and Jones that have left since the end of last season and all need replacing.

David Lowe is still here, he is assistant head coach, unless you mean Jason?

Just now, AAK said:

David Lowe is still here, he is assistant head coach, unless you mean Jason?

No I mean David, he left the academy as he was head of coaching and moved to the senior squad, so surely he needs replacing, yet no news of this as yet.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No I mean David, he left the academy as he was head of coaching and moved to the senior squad, so surely he needs replacing, yet no news of this as yet.

The fitness guy left too a couple of weeks ago.

Is this downsizing post audit?

Archived