BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Individual performances

Been thinking recently about the times we, as fans, have seen one of our own do magical things. 

I am an 80's kid, had had the pleasure of Garner, Speedie, Sellars and the title winning boys, ridiculous memories.

But will never forget the day Duff played off Sutton against West Ham and destroyed Ferdinand. Ripped him to shreds. Never forget that.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree with the ones above, born in the 80's so only got to watch from 91-92 onwards.

Honourable mentions to:

Bentley vs Man Utd within days of signing permanently, floated between the lines and made a mug of Vidic, Ferdinand etc el.

Jansen vs ? Played on the left wing around the time of being touted for England in that position around 2002 ish? Unplayable, played with such grace and deftness of touch.

Tragic to see his career crumble after the Rome accident.

Friedels vs Arsenal on a few occasions, most memorable in a 1 niller, unsure of the year, absolute wall.

Tugay for just being Tugay in any game.

Bellamy and Roque were immense for a season too.

Emerton vs Wolves on the opening day of a season, was on holiday at the time and thought we've signed some winger here!! Turned out to be a decent full back in the end. Not a winger :lol:

Just now, Blue Cabbage said:

Completely agree with the ones above, born in the 80's so only got to watch from 91-92 onwards.

Honourable mentions to:

Bentley vs Man Utd within days of signing permanently, floated between the lines and made a mug of Vidic, Ferdinand etc el.

Jansen vs ? Played on the left wing around the time of being touted for England in that position around 2002 ish? Unplayable, played with such grace and deftness of touch.

Tragic to see his career crumble after the Rome accident.

Friedels vs Arsenal on a few occasions, most memorable in a 1 niller, unsure of the year, absolute wall.

Tugay for just being Tugay in any game.

Bellamy and Roque were immense for a season too.

Emerton vs Wolves on the opening day of a season, was on holiday at the time and thought we've signed some winger here!! Turned out to be a decent full back in the end. Not a winger :lol:

Love Tugay as much as the next man, but history can be Rosey and there was a period of time where he was struggling. Now taking 6-12 months. 

4 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Stupid performance. Still think one is going in when you watch it back

I was there, should have been deadly silent with tension, but the atmosphere was amazing that evening. Flowers and the fans got us over the line. I never made anfield due to working til dinnertime that day,  but in my opinion, I saw the game that won the league.

• Backroom

Not one of ours, but one of my favourite footy memories was Henry vs Rovers in 07/08 (I think). A sublime all-action striker's performance, culminating in a bolt down the left wing, 1-2 with Fabregas and banging it in off the bar from 25 yards.

The whole ground applauded Henry when he was subbed and funnily enough I don't think he graced our pitch again.

Wenger has made a career out of that one signing in reality. Turning that awkward looking left winger into a striker made him immortal - ok as well as some other decent signings in that era as well (bergkamp, pires, overmars, viera etc). Done little since and Arsenal have gone backwards massively.  

Just now, JacknOry said:

Wenger has made a career out of that one signing in reality. Turning that awkward looking left winger into a striker made him immortal - ok as well as some other decent signings in that era as well (bergkamp, pires, overmars, viera etc). Done little since and Arsenal have gone backwards massively.  

Bruce rioch signed Dennis bergkamp.. ;)

Wrexham away, promotion season a McKenzie goal sent 3k Rovers fans into ecstasy, best away performance of the season.

Plymouth home, promotion season, won 5-2, a complete team performance.

Just two of many oldies worth mentioning. 

Garner breaking our scoring record with a hat trick against City in April '89. I must have re-watched the taped highlights of that a thousand times as a kid. Unfortunely a tragic event was underway at Hillsborough at the same time...

Speedie hat trick at Ewood against Newcastle (March? 92), Keegan's first game, then he's goading their fans in the Darwen End. Twas the first of the Geordie Messiah's getting their bubble burst.

So many through the 90s.

Tugay at Celtic in 2002, absolutely ran the show, how the hell we lost that match...

2011 onwards has drawn a blank...

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Garner breaking our scoring record with a hat trick against City in April '89. I must have re-watched the taped highlights of that a thousand times as a kid. Unfortunely a tragic event was underway at Hillsborough at the same time...

I still have that, converted it on DVD ages ago. Showed it my lad recently he thought it was amazing, said everything looks so different.

Flowers against Newcastle in 95 & Friedel at Highbury in 2002 are probably the two best goalkeeping performances I can remember.

Shearer against Norwich in 92, Sutton against West Ham away in the cup in 98 and Bellamy against Middlesbrough in 2006 are a few of my favourite centre forward performances I can remember.

Only one that springs to mind from 2011 onwards is Dunnys performance against the dingles in 2013, he was absolutely everywhere and got his reward in the 95th minute.

Archived