BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Individual performances

• Backroom

Remember feeling awful as Shearer destroyed Bryan Gunn in that 7-1 win, the chip was ludicrous.

If I recall right Gunn lost his daughter in the week before the game and looked a broken man.

Shearer against QPR as well was ridiculous he just beat them to a pulp

Interesting that not many central midfield performances here we always seem to come back to struggling in the area

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Remember feeling awful as Shearer destroyed Bryan Gunn in that 7-1 win, the chip was ludicrous.

If I recall right Gunn lost his daughter in the week before the game and looked a broken man.

Oof, didn't recall that. Not a pleasant one, can't remember if the goals were celebrated somewhat muted?

On the topic of central midfield performances, how about Sherwood away to Spurs in the title winning season? Two goals and MOTM if I remember, a game after of which I was certain we would go on and win it (turned out harder than expected).

Didn't we lose at Tottenham? Sure I recall Booby Mimms having to replace Flowers at the last minute.

Think Sherwood nabbed the winner at both Ipswich and Palace, as well as having a goal disallowed disgracefully at Old Trafford, a Shearer 'push' in the build up.

Can still remember me and my Dad raging after that 'the b*stards will never let us win the title'.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn't we lose at Tottenham? Sure I recall Booby Mimms having to replace Flowers at the last minute.

Think Sherwood nabbed the winner at both Ipswich and Palace, as well as having a goal disallowed disgracefully at Old Trafford, a Shearer 'push' in the build up.

Can still remember me and my Dad raging after that 'the b*stards will never let us win the title'.

Ah yes, you're spot on. Wonder why I remember that scoreline in reverse?! Yes I remember the Old Trafford one. In hindsight it would have made that last day less interesting, although might have given a some people a few more years on this mortal coil...

4 hours ago, Batman. said:

If I remember correctly we had sold Duff and Dunn and effectively replaced them with Emerton and Ferguson. Certainly was a step down in both cases (I thought Dunn was going well pre Birmingham, but fell out with Souness IIRC).

What about the Spurs away on the last day of the previous season (Duff and Dunn's last game). 4-0 win with Duff unplayable, and I think I remember Hignett scoring (his last game as well?). He was an underrated player for us.

I seem to remember reading in an interview somewhere that one of the factors in Emerton's decision to join was that Duff, being a top player, was at the club too. 

25 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

I seem to remember reading in an interview somewhere that one of the factors in Emerton's decision to join was that Duff, being a top player, was at the club too. 

Shame we didn't sell Duff a bit earlier...

I was thinking about the team we had that won promotion from the Championship last night. This led me ,for some reason, to look at Southamptons team that won back to back promotions from League 1. Looking at both squads, the quality in them was undeniable. We had Dunn and Duff along with some other real experienced pros. Southampton had Lallana , Fonte and Lambert along with others. 

Where are we going to find the type of quality to get promoted once, let alone twice? Sometimes you get this golden generation of players, but looking back, these things are built on a lot of luck. Look at Utd and their bringing through of Beckham, Nevilles, ,Butt and Giggs. So basically my point is, we need some of our youth players to step up this season if we have any hope of getting promotion from the Championship in the future,. Clubs don't do it with out them. 

Hopefully Mowbray gets them in and gives them a chance this season. We aren't going to buy our way out of the Championship. 

21 hours ago, Batman. said:

Shame we didn't sell Duff a bit earlier...

Your joking? 2.5 million gave us a full international and what became a brilliant RB. Played DM and certainly had the engine. Woeful on the wing but I liked Brett, consummate professional.

Then Jerome and Kean recommended we pay of 80% of his final year and Salagado's to make way for Bradley Orr

On 2017-07-03 at 09:44, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sad to see Matty struggling to regain his touch there. He was off the pace most of the game. Superb pass from Tugay to Andy Cole for the last goal, it had back spin on it so it sat up perfectly for the volley.

Looking at the back four you can see why we struggled against the better teams later in the season. Tiny Taylor never made the step up his ability led me to think he would. Amoruso's lack of pace was evident even in that game.  Gresko was no great shakes either.

My God, I had completely forgotten about Flitcroft's haircut. Diabolical. 

10 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Your joking? 2.5 million gave us a full international and what became a brilliant RB. Played DM and certainly had the engine. Woeful on the wing but I liked Brett, consummate professional.

Then Jerome and Kean recommended we pay of 80% of his final year and Salagado's to make way for Bradley Orr

Emerton was with us for 9 years and played 80% of the time as a right winger.

You've already set out the formula, now do the maths...

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Emerton was with us for 9 years and played 80% of the time as a right winger.

You've already set out the formula, now do the maths...

I may be wrong but didn't Hughes put Bert at RB in 2005? I don't remember him venturing back to the right wing bar the odd game under Kean. That'd make 6/8years at RB.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

I may be wrong but didn't Hughes put Bert at RB in 2005? I don't remember him venturing back to the right wing bar the odd game under Kean. That'd make 6/8years at RB.

I recall him playing right back for a short period between Lucas Neill leaving and Michel Salgado signing. 

Furthermore, "excellent" is not a word I would use to describe his right back ability. "Sufficient" would be fairer, and certainly a downgrade from Lucas Neill. I mean, he couldn't tackle for a start...

That was his problem, every player he replaced, he was a downgrade on. Gillespie, Neill, and Bentley (I can't even remember is Sam used him much considering by that time we had Salgado and Pascal for RB, and Diouf for RM, added to the fact that 4-4-2 was a dead duck by then).

I think "Benni McCarthy" syndrome is taking place here. The more time that passes since he played, the better he becomes. Brett brings back some fond memories of wry smiles and eye rolling (usually as he attempts a back heel in the most unnecessary situation), but he was a bang average player.

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Went back to RW and DM under BSA. Emerton from Lucas Neil leaving to BSA was at RB

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

I recall him playing right back for a short period between Lucas Neill leaving and Michel Salgado signing. 

Furthermore, "excellent" is not a word I would use to describe his right back ability. "Sufficient" would be fairer, and certainly a downgrade from Lucas Neill. I mean, he couldn't tackle for a start...

That was his problem, every player he replaced, he was a downgrade on. Gillespie, Neill, and Bentley (I can't even remember is Sam used him much considering by that time we had Salgado and Pascal for RB, and Diouf for RM, added to the fact that 4-4-2 was a dead duck by then).

I think "Benni McCarthy" syndrome is taking place here. The more time that passes since he played, the better he becomes. Brett brings back some fond memories of wry smiles and eye rolling (usually as he attempts a back heel in the most unnecessary situation), but he was a bang average player.

Gillespie was s***.

Give me an Emerton anyday. Not shabby at set plays, after Neill captained OZ, fitness was impeccable, I wouldn't say a poor tackler not fantastic either but his energy to get up and down the pitch at the right times provideded a good outlet on the overlap for the early crosses.

He'd be perfect for that three in the back stuff Mowbray tried with wing backs.

9 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Gillespie was s***.

Give me an Emerton anyday. Not shabby at set plays, after Neill captained OZ, fitness was impeccable, I wouldn't say a poor tackler not fantastic either but his energy to get up and down the pitch at the right times provideded a good outlet on the overlap for the early crosses.

He'd be perfect for that three in the back stuff Mowbray tried with wing backs.

Funilly enough it was wingback where he impressed so much at Feyenoord.

I think "not good enough going forward to be a winger, not good enough at the back to be a defender" sums him up well.

He'd have been a competent middle distance runner.

Not for Rovers, but when Damien Duff was a Rovers player Ireland played Spain in the last 16 of the 2002 World cup. His performance that day was the best  I have ever seen from an attacking player(Paul McGrath v Italy at USA 94 is the best defensive display I have seen). He absolutely ripped the Spanish defense to shreds. This was when Spain were on the cusp of becoming world beaters. We lost on penalties that day, after Ian Harte missed a peno in extra time to make it  2-1. The quarter final would have been against South Korea. Same world cup where Roy Keane jumped ship. What could have been. If you haven't seen the highlights of Duffs performance, I recommend you YouTube it. To have a winger like that now... The guy was one in a million. 

And he didn't want to leave. Came back to Rovers and said if we match the £60,000 a week Chelsea offered, he would stay.

Souey wanted the money so he could strengthen the team as a whole. A Barry Ferguson and a Stephen Reid later we were fighting for our lives.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not for Rovers, but when Damien Duff was a Rovers player Ireland played Spain in the last 16 of the 2002 World cup. His performance that day was the best  I have ever seen from an attacking player(Paul McGrath v Italy at USA 94 is the best defensive display I have seen). He absolutely ripped the Spanish defense to shreds. This was when Spain were on the cusp of becoming world beaters. We lost on penalties that day, after Ian Harte missed a peno in extra time to make it  2-1. The quarter final would have been against South Korea. Same world cup where Roy Keane jumped ship. What could have been. If you haven't seen the highlights of Duffs performance, I recommend you YouTube it. To have a winger like that now... The guy was one in a million. 

On his day better than giggs.

Archived