BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New captain

• Backroom

Bennett showed all the qualities of a captain last season

That being said him, Mulgrew, Williams; Lenihan, Conway or Whittingham would all be better picks than Lowe was

Not sure we have a candidate yet. Bennett maybe. He can build a good relationship with the fans - did he sit with the fans at an away game last season - but does he have the drive to demand the enthusiasm.

Mulgrew would be good but will he be present every game if we manage to keep hold of him?

• Backroom

Mulgrew, Bennett, Lenihan in that order of preference for me, and I'd be happy with any of those.

Christ, remember 8-10 years ago? All those literal (Friedel, Nelsen, Zurab, Ooijer, Mokoena, Roberts) and figurative (Sav, Tugay, Reid, Todd, Samba, Bellamy, Dickov, Kuqi, Salgado) captains to choose from at one time or another.

*sigh*

Bennett for me typified in the last games why. He gives a bloody damn, wears his heart on his sleeve, 100 percenter and seems very much an honest guy.

Mulgrew only played 28 games last year, he's definitely a leader and you need them in all areas on the pitch but he needs to concentrate on how he's going to play 46 games and provide value for the wages he's on before giving him the captaincy.

Vice captain for me would be Elliot Ward if he plays or Peter Whittingham who I think may have captained cardiff?

A good captain should be one of the elder first-teamers - someone who's been in the game for a while, and preferably someone who plays in the middle of the park.

Mulgrew. He's an international, to boot. My only worry is if he a) stays, and b ) stays injury-free. Neither of those are certain. Even if he stays, I suspect someone would be deputising a lot - possibly Whittingham.

If I had to hedge my bet on who it'll actually go to, I reckon it could be Danny Graham.

Whittingham gets my vote as a senior player and quite highly regarded and will be in the team when fit. He did Captain Cardiff on occassions.

Mulgrew wanted/wants out and the other players know that. He would have to now publically state he wanted to stay to get me to consider him. Otherwise he could leave at anytime up to the end of August.

I think it will be Lenihan, Mulgrew or Ward. As far as I recall Mowbray likes centre halves as captain, as do I. I don't like midfielders as captain, even less so goalkeepers or strikers. 

Mulgrew is a risk for the reasons mentioned, if fit and willing he would be my shout. Although Lenihan could prove to be a good long term choice. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think it will be Lenihan, Mulgrew or Ward. As far as I recall Mowbray likes centre halves as captain, as do I. I don't like midfielders as captain, even less so goalkeepers or strikers. 

Mulgrew is a risk for the reasons mentioned, if fit and willing he would be my shout. Although Lenihan could prove to be a good long term choice. 

I prefer CBs as Captain myself usually. If Mulgrew declares himself staying at Rovers I would be happy enough, but not until then.

Lenihan is too young yet imo and hopefully Ward is just backup.

Like you I don't like strikers or keepers as Captain.

• Backroom

Mulgrew is the obvious choice if he stays, and that's a big if. Assuming he does stay, we'll need a suitable vice-captain as chances are Charlie won't be featuring in any more than 50% of the games we play. It's slim pickings at that point but the likes of Bennett or Whittingham would be acceptable choices. 

Ideally you need a team full of leaders to be successful. My concern is that I'm not sure we do at this point in time. Still a lot of work to be done.

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't mind central midfielders as captains. Sherwood and Flitcroft did ok.

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Maybe a 'fresh' captain is requied, rather than one of the relegation squad. Whittingham maybe.

Nothing wrong with that logic, but there are too many Whittingham/Murphy comparisons as it is without giving him the captaincy too!

Archived