BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Checkatrade Trophy

On 09/07/2017 at 10:41, AllRoverAsia said:

I think that a lot of the community 'left' the Club at that time with spirit broken.

Incompetent owners, financial problems, the forced groundshare was hated by most fans indeed they had a Politcal Party set up just to get back to the Valley.

Fans disenfranchised who never went back, like us after the 1960 FA Cup Final.

I was with the wife and young son in the Rovers masses behind one of the goals. Fantastic view of the Hendry, thanks to Miller, goal and of Vince O'Keefe making match saving blocks and SG missing a few!

The Charlton end was nothing like ours.

It was a great day as was OT in the semis years later.

SG missed more than a few. Still my second favourite Rovers striker of all time though. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Prophetic. I thought you were 'avin a giraffe

That's really weird. It was a one in eight chance but i had it in my mind as a cert it would be stoke after I posted. I.e. Almost as though it had already been announced. I'll get back to you on the lottery numbers when I have a similar episode!

Just noticed that the 2017 final, Coventry 2 v Oxford 1, attracted an attendance of over 74k.

Both sides had predominantly English players in their squads. Oxford's starting eleven had 10 English and 1 Scot.

Coventry took over 41k fans to Wembley.

The Comp not a total failure as 2 sets of decent fans had a day out at Wembley.

25 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Its a bit silly our u23 finish 6 places and 12 points in front of stoke u23 but they cant play against them in this cup.

Fair point you make.

However Rovers can start a game with up to 7 of our Cat 1 included.

I think.

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2017 at 22:49, J*B said:

If they've any sense they will make tickets for this competition free with a ST or it could be embarrassing. 

Certainly no more than £2.50 for anyone else (the earlier games at least).

I can't imagine many people that don't live a stones throw from the ground being that interested unless 'the price is right' - especially as the cold nights are pretty much here already (R.I.P. English Summer).

On 14/07/2017 at 09:53, had.e.nuff said:

Its a bit silly our u23 finish 6 places and 12 points in front of stoke u23 but they cant play against them in this cup.

It's even worse than that. We aren't even playing their U23s, it's their U21s.

Don't expect many of our u23s to be part of this especially as there is an international break and no league game for a couple of weeks

so I expect Mowbray will give game time to his squad players and try to keep the run they are on going

which is understandable

On 07/07/2017 at 23:18, AllRoverAsia said:

What a great day out that was.

I now have a full and near perfect copy of the full match video and commentary.:rover:

Vivid memory of that day. The M6 was a sea of blue and white in the days when it was de rigueur to fly your scarf out the back window.

Remember how big the whole occasion was! Photos of people in the LET watching the match live outside Martin Dawes; the parading of the Cup at the Town Hall.

Remember the gate being 40,000 dead and thinking how strange; especially as we'd brought about 30,000.

Promotion by far the most important thing but would love a trip to Wembley!

53 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Vivid memory of that day. The M6 was a sea of blue and white in the days when it was de rigueur to fly your scarf out the back window.

Remember how big the whole occasion was! Photos of people in the LET watching the match live outside Martin Dawes; the parading of the Cup at the Town Hall.

Remember the gate being 40,000 dead and thinking how strange; especially as we'd brought about 30,000.

Promotion by far the most important thing but would love a trip to Wembley!

I was outside Martin Dawes on crutches lol.   Broke my ankle playing the week before at school and wasn't allowed to go! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fisher

Nyambe              Ward     Wharton               Hart

Harper           Tomlinson Whittingham        Chapman 

Gladwin

Graham 

• Backroom

Looking forward to it, would go with the above but I thought Harper was injured still? If he is then Gladwin on the wing and Nuttall up front with Graham.

Archived