BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Checkatrade Trophy

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple young supporters where heard singing 'should have stayed at home and watched Eastenders' followed by 'Let's pretend we've scored a goal' as the ball kept going towards Rovers goal and not Bury.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Totally get only opening one section of the ground to Rovers fans, but why not the Jack Walker Upper (BE side)? Can fit 3000+ comfortably there with a much better view too.

Absolutely right. The only reason I didn't go was the crap seating against Stoke. I won't sit down there again especially if it's raining. It attracts a lot of unsavoury characters too, maybe because it's so cheap. It's the Jack Walker Upper or the Riverside for me or I would rather not go.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

You get personal, you go on the ignore list... I certainly won't miss having to read your drivel, see ya!

Only person I've ever put on ignore in 9 years on here, nothing to do with his opposite views on virtually everything i can handle that but his arrogant churlish attitude from behind his keyboard stinks.

Im not perfect and have had some right set too's on here but him, can't say it or I'll get banned :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't legislate for how the manager thinks but if it were me I'd be far more cautious about throwing them in the higher the level we wete competing at.

If they cant get a game in League 1, when are they ever going to get a game?

I agree, but when you're in a scenario where it's promotion or bust, you don't have time for the mistakes that youngsters inevitably make more of. If we are mid table in the championship, there's less pressure and less recourse should some new blood weaken the first 11

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Only person I've ever put on ignore in 9 years on here, nothing to do with his opposite views on virtually everything i can handle that but his arrogant churlish attitude from behind his keyboard stinks.

Im not perfect and have had some right set too's on here but him, can't say it or I'll get banned :rolleyes:

You've no problem taking a thread off further though eh? Since we are wading in, I've never actually read content that reflects a more paranoid scandal mongering fantasist, than I have when reading your dross Phil.

Id also look up the definition of churlish.

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Some "right set too's" on a football message bored?? Oh ur hard.

12 minutes ago, Boaty said:

Some "right set too's" on a football message bored?? Oh ur hard.

Biz, you've been around a long while on here as has tomphil. You understand his and our frustrations and I'm surprised at your wading in defence of a couple of plants (sorry new message board posters). 

If I'm off the mark I apologise but I wish the likes of RV and Boaty would just feck off from whence they came, I don't know who they think they are kidding!

Just now, darrenrover said:

Biz, you've been around a long while on here as has tomphil. You understand his and our frustrations and I'm surprised at your wading in defence of a couple of plants (sorry new message board posters). 

If I'm off the mark I apologise but I wish the likes of RV and Boaty would just feck off from whence they came, I don't know who they think they are kidding!

Think you've got it the wrong way round Darren. I'm not wading in to defend anyone either. 

Just now, Biz said:

I agree, but when you're in a scenario where it's promotion or bust, you don't have time for the mistakes that youngsters inevitably make more of. If we are mid table in the championship, there's less pressure and less recourse should some new blood weaken the first 11

Don't really understand why you think youngsters will "inevitably" make more mistakes. Without wanting to sound rude as you're an excellent poster that's the sort of blinkered mindset that sees the youngsters ignored purely on the basis of their age as opposed to their ability or otherwise.

You'd think the senior players they are competing with are something special - they're not. And that's probably being a bit generous.

Raya or Steele? Raya's still learning but represents a massive upgrade on Steele for me. Why should the potential replacements for Williams, Ward, Evans, Conway, Bennett and Graham be any different?

It seems nobody cares about this competition. Fans, players or even the manager! The introduction of youth teams and group stages to the competition makes it an even less appealing option. But I'm sure if we manage to make it through to the later stages of the competition you will see some more interest.

One positive to take out of the night is surely that this defeat and performance confirms that Mowbray has at least been starting our best eleven in the league. 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

I wanted us to participate and take this competition seriously for the novelty factor and because I believed that if we did take it seriously we would have a very good chance of reaching Wembley and lifting a trophy.

I don't accept it is a threat to promotion as Bristol City showed a couple of years ago the two can work hand in hand.

However, last night was mind numbing to watch, clear the manager and players aren't really interested, and if, heaven forbid, we remain in this league in years to come I think I'd prefer it if this competition ceased to exist.

I can't see there was any problem with the concept of the original competition which gave the lower league Clubs a genuine chance to win something and have a day out at Wembley which otherwise would be out of the question. But they completely ruined it for me by letting in the u23 sides from "big" clubs and introducing a League format.

None of this however detracts from the fact that any side put out in a Blackburn Rovers shirt at any level should be properly prepared and 100% focused and committed. If the powers that be dictated we had to play a new Cup Competition at 3a.m. on a Monday morning to satisfy an overseas market I'd expect us to be up for it. I'm sick to death in general of Premier League Clubs wanting more and more money whilst at the same time wanting to play less and less games and not bother about the smaller competitions they're involved in and it now seems this sort of "Im too good for this" attitude is spreading down to the lower Leagues.

Finally, if heaven forbid we found ourselves stuck at this level indefinitely I'd hope we took this competition deadly seriously as it would be the only chance we had of a bit of glory.

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't really understand why you think youngsters will "inevitably" make more mistakes. Without wanting to sound rude as you're an excellent poster that's the sort of blinkered mindset that sees the youngsters ignored purely on the basis of their age as opposed to their ability or otherwise.

You'd think the senior players they are competing with are something special - they're not. And that's probably being a bit generous.

Raya or Steele? Raya's still learning but represents a massive upgrade on Steele for me. Why should the potential replacements for Williams, Ward, Evans, Conway, Bennett and Graham be any different?

I see it differently personally. For instance, I expect mistakes from the likes of Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan etc - whereas I wouldn't from a more senior/experienced professional.

Ward for instance, would and should be rightly criticised for the type of mistake he made for Doncasters second goal, however I'd be more acceptant of someone from the u23s making the same error.

Players, like most professionals should learn from mistakes and develop that way, I just don't see this as a season where this can legitimately happen, as mistakes would hamper the kind of "perfect" season we require.

Thats not to say I don't think some of our more senior players will make mistakes.

19 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Fair dos but I don't think I did and you know better.

I know better? What, for just taking it without recourse? There was no need for anyone else to get involved in RVs BRFCS's classic "you're on ignore" post, but as you can see those with an axe to grind saw fit.

I perhaps should know better than to call someone "thick" but if they are prepared to give it out, they've got to be prepared to take it in equal measure. 

Just now, Biz said:

I see it differently personally. For instance, I expect mistakes from the likes of Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan etc - whereas I wouldn't from a more senior/experienced professional.

Ward for instance, would and should be rightly criticised for the type of mistake he made for Doncasters second goal, however I'd be more acceptant of someone from the u23s making the same error.

Players, like most professionals should learn from mistakes and develop that way, I just don't see this as a season where this can legitimately happen, as mistakes would hamper the kind of "perfect" season we require.

Thats not to say I don't think some of our more senior players will make mistakes.

Fair enough. We don't require a "perfect" season, we do however require a "two point per game" season. You obviously have a lot more faith in some of the senior players delivering that than me.

:unsure:

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't see there was any problem with the concept of the original competition which gave the lower league Clubs a genuine chance to win something and have a day out at Wembley which otherwise would be out of the question. But they completely ruined it for me by letting in the u23 sides from "big" clubs and introducing a League format.

None of this however detracts from the fact that any side put out in a Blackburn Rovers shirt at any level should be properly prepared and 100% focused and committed. If the powers that be dictated we had to play a new Cup Competition at 3a.m. on a Monday morning to satisfy an overseas market I'd expect us to be up for it. I'm sick to death in general of Premier League Clubs wanting more and more money whilst at the same time wanting to play less and less games and not bother about the smaller competitions they're involved in and it now seems this sort of "Im too good for this" attitude is spreading down to the lower Leagues.

Finally, if heaven forbid we found ourselves stuck at this level indefinitely I'd hope we took this competition deadly seriously as it would be the only chance we had of a bit of glory.

Its our only chance of a cup final and will be for a long time. There's nothing I'd like more than to finish this season as 'double' winners with 2 trophies in the cabinet to remember for years to come.

Yes the competition is 2nd rate and yes the prats running football have swung a wrecking ball at it with U23 teams entering, but give me that trophy in the cabinet and a day out at Wembley over a good FA Cup run before being routinely beat by Chelsea/United any day of the week.

15 years since the last trophy and I'd like another for the cabinet. Don't care what people say about it its a trophy and honour.

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Agreed but perhaps we have more than a fair proportion of players with no ambition whatsoever who are more than happy just to collect a wage?

It seems to me that we have had a plethora of these over the past 7 years and whilst the values may have diminished, the general mantra remains the same. Why?

I can't understand professional players who have no pride or self respect. No matter what game I was playing in - Cup Final, pre season friendly, charity game,  my attitude was the same, I had to give of my best. If it was at all possible I had to be the best player out there. Something inside me drove me to give my all. The minute I stepped over the white line I was there to win the game and I was prepared to do what ever it takes to win.

Just turning out - I don't get it.

None of those players from last night's game should be banging on Mowbray's door this morning asking for a shirt next time out.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't understand professional players who have no pride or self respect. No matter what game I was playing in - Cup Final, pre season friendly, charity game,  my attitude was the same, I had to give of my best. If it was at all possible I had to be the best player out there. Something inside me drove me to give my all. The minute I stepped over the white line I was there to win the game and I was prepared to do what ever it takes to win.

Just turning out - I don't get it.

As a fan I don't get it either. Even in the school play ground you'd play every spare minute you could and even though there was nothing riding on it give 100% and not hold back an inch.

Perhaps the moment you take it up professonally it ceases to be a passion and becomes merely a job?

If anyone said they didn't have days when they simply couldn't be bothered going into work i'd probably think they were lying.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

As a fan I don't get it either. Even in the school play ground you'd play every spare minute you could and even though there was nothing riding on it give 100% and not hold back an inch.

Perhaps the moment you take it up professonally it ceases to be a passion and becomes merely a job?

If anyone said they didn't have days when they simply couldn't be bothered going into work i'd probably think they were lying.

I gave 100 % at work also, if it's in your nature you can't help it. Smallwood is probably made the same way. Well he's one we missed last night.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Problem being Revidge that we don't work 1 day a week.

I might not have bothered during the days I knew were going to be quiet but when I know I have an important meeting, where people depended on me, I'd give 110% to ensure I get it right.

I have always said that I can understand "bad trainers" so long as when they walk on the pitch they give their all. What I can't, and won't, respect is not giving your all during the only 90 minutes of the week that truly counts.

Especially when you consider the money and the life that 90 minutes gives them.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

This part sums up why it's impossible to apply the average hard working persons mindset to millionaire footballers.

Just now, Biz said:

This part sums up why it's impossible to apply the average hard working persons mindset to millionaire footballers.

The dosh wouldn't matter for me. If somebody went past me I'd be thinking " You won't be doing that again ! " I'd be busting a gut to keep them out of the game. Money would be a bonus, playing well and winning was why I was out there.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Problem being Revidge that we don't work 1 day a week.

I might not have bothered during the days I knew were going to be quiet but when I know I have an important meeting, where people depended on me, I'd give 110% to ensure I get it right.

I have always said that I can understand "bad trainers" so long as when they walk on the pitch they give their all. What I can't, and won't, respect is not giving your all during the only 90 minutes of the week that truly counts.

Agree with most of that. Don't think it's an entirely new phenomenon though I've always wondered for as long as I can remember why players looked like they weren't prepared to run through a brick wall once or twice a week for 90 mins.

I think the perception of them now is even worse because relatively speaking they earn so much more than the average person in the street  compared to 30 or 40 years ago.

Archived