BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Checkatrade Trophy

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The dosh wouldn't matter for me. If somebody went past me I'd be thinking " You won't be doing that again ! " I'd be busting a gut to keep them out of the game. Money would be a bonus, playing well and winning was why I was out there.

It's got completely out of hand though, I mean the average second tier player is earning a million a year, and that kind of status will alter a mindset, especially the ones who've spent there entire youth in an academy system.

Obviously there are players that buck the trend

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:
5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't understand professional players who have no pride or self respect. No matter what game I was playing in - Cup Final, pre season friendly, charity game,  my attitude was the same, I had to give of my best. If it was at all possible I had to be the best player out there. Something inside me drove me to give my all. The minute I stepped over the white line I was there to win the game and I was prepared to do what ever it takes to win.

Just turning out - I don't get it.

None of those players from last night's game should be banging on Mowbray's door this morning asking for a shirt next time out.

The players went out to win last night it's the fact that collectively they weren't good enough or better than the Bury team.

One up front playing in front of a struggling midfield and a young back line ........collectively just not good enough.

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree with most of that. Don't think it's an entirely new phenomenon though I've always wondered for as long as I can remember why players looked like they weren't prepared to run through a brick wall once or twice a week for 90 mins.

I think the perception of them now is even worse because relatively speaking they earn so much more than the average person in the street  compared to 30 or 40 years ago.

It seems that Rovers simply didn't prepare for the game properly. The manager admits as much.

Interesting watching Rovers subs at half time just messing around together under no guidance whatsoever with no one giving them direction and leadership whilst Bury's subs had a laid out routine working pretty much with the full half.

Just now, rossyrover said:

It sounds like a lot of the senior professionals could not be bothered to put in a shift which is a poor example to the younger players whatever the competition.

The only two seniors that didn't put a shift where Whittingham and Gladwin.

Conway and Graham gave all they had but didnt get a great deal of support from the others.

22 minutes ago, JAL said:

It seems that Rovers simply didn't prepare for the game properly. The manager admits as much.

Interesting watching Rovers subs at half time just messing around together under no guidance whatsoever with no one giving them direction and leadership whilst Bury s subs had a laid out routine working pretty much with the full half

That sub thing has been a regular feature at Rovers for years, possibly changed a bit under Lambert then back to dicking around under Coyle. Seems we don't have a coach to give them any kind of drills, a pish take really.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That sub thing has been a regular feature at Rovers for years, possibly changed a bit under Lambert then back to dicking around under Coyle. Seems we don't have a coach to give them any kind of drills, a pish take really.

It looks very amateurish and un professional especially when you've got a group of young lads all potentially making their first team debuts. At the under 23's game against Wolves someone did drills with the lads unlike the pish poor first team.

David Lowe first team coach I despair.

8 minutes ago, JAL said:

It looks very amateurish and un professional especially when you've got a group of young lads all potentially making their first team debuts. At the under 23's game against Wolves someone did drills with the lads unlike the pish poor first team.

David Lowe first team coach I despair.

Whose his agent?

14 hours ago, Biz said:

It's got completely out of hand though, I mean the average second tier player is earning a million a year, and that kind of status will alter a mindset, especially the ones who've spent there entire youth in an academy system.

Obviously there are players that buck the trend

I think it was Frank Lampard that said that a problem was that players of his era ended their careers extremely rich whereas players nowadays are starting their careers as rich.

You only have to take a look at Luke Shaw as an example of this. 100k a week since he was 18 and he hasn't played a full season. Yes he had one bad injury but since then he's been unfit and unwilling to work hard enough to force his way back in. Why would he? He's earned well over a few million already and he's not even 23. What does he care if he barely plays again?

59 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Must be sound then.

Travis and Hart where very poor against Bury wonder what bull the scousers are going to feed us about these. Has Sharp of the LT fed the reader some over estimated bull about these two for the faithful to swallow.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Travis and Hart where very poor against Bury wonder what bull the scousers are going to feed us about these. Has Sharp of the LT fed the reader some over estimated bull about these two for the faithful to swallow.

Travis has been outstanding this season - but of course if you don't attend Under-23 games you wouldn't have seen that - and was one of our better performers on Tuesday.  Sadly, your prejudice against certain young players comes to the fore in any arguments you make.  Your defence of Graham - who has been desperately poor all season - leads me to suspect you favour certain agents over others.  

17 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Travis has been outstanding this season - but of course if you don't attend Under-23 games you wouldn't have seen that - and was one of our better performers on Tuesday.  Sadly, your prejudice against certain young players comes to the fore in any arguments you make.  Your defence of Graham - who has been desperately poor all season - leads me to suspect you favour certain agents over others.  

Against fellow under 23's he's been Ok,  NOT OUTSTANDING parsons.

When Travis came up against the big boys on Tuesday the mighty Bury he made no impact whatsoever playing misplaced passes all over the place it's a good job Bury didn't have a decent left winger to expose him parsons. 

Look forward to seeing the lad being able to cope with the big boys but it's no surprise his last club fired him off, is it ?

Travis needs to be a whole lot better than he showed on Tuesday night for us to have any confidence in him.

13 minutes ago, JAL said:

Against fellow under 23's he's been Ok,  NOT OUTSTANDING parsons.

When Travis came up against the big boys on Tuesday the mighty Bury he made no impact whatsoever playing misplaced passes all over the place it's a good job Bury didn't have a decent left winger to expose him parsons. 

Look forward to seeing the lad being able to cope with the big boys but it's no surprise his last club fired him off, is it ?

Travis needs to be a whole lot better than he showed on Tuesday night for us to have any confidence in him.

Totally disagree.  His performances this season have been outstanding, without question the most consistent performer from the Under-23's this season and certainly worthy of the place he seems to be winning as part of the first team squad.  Looking forward to seeing him and a number of others becoming fixtures in the senior squad.  They are our future.

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Totally disagree.  His performances this season have been outstanding, without question the most consistent performer from the Under-23's this season and certainly worthy of the place he seems to be winning as part of the first team squad.  Looking forward to seeing him and a number of others becoming fixtures in the senior squad.  They are our future.

So why was Travis poor against Bury offering very little going forward except for his miss placed passing?. Outstanding you having a laugh let's see him up against City or Chelsea u23s.

Didn't you say something similar about Nyambe.

58 minutes ago, JAL said:

So why was Travis poor against Bury offering very little going forward except for his miss placed passing?. Outstanding you having a laugh let's see him up against City or Chelsea u23s.

Didn't you say something similar about Nyambe.

You base your opinions on the occasional game that you actually watch.  Perhaps if the senior players like Graham, Whittingham, Gladwin etc. had put in a little more effort the younger lads would have had a little more help.  Nyambe, Travis, Raya and the others are the future of this club - irrespective of the fact you dislike their agents. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

You base your opinions on the occasional game that you actually watch.  Perhaps if the senior players like Graham, Whittingham, Gladwin etc. had put in a little more effort the younger lads would have had a little more help.  Nyambe, Travis, Raya and the others are the future of this club - irrespective of the fact you dislike their agents. 

Never mentioned agents what are you on about ?  

Its the Bury game played at Ewood Park 3rd October 2017.and Travis's performance during this game absolutely nothing to do with the senior players.

Bury are nothing special in fact they are a struggling league one team aren't they, which after viewing Travis's performance raises more questions than answers about the lads capability to wear a first team jersey.

Matty Platts contribution seemed far more positive to me along with Fisher.

Their goal looked like a foul on Fisher.

Glad to see a number of our youth players getting another chance at first-team football - I think this is what this competition is for us, and rightly so. I understand that we didn't play well, but I'm not too bothered about it.

Onto Oldham...

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Their goal looked like a foul on Fisher.

Glad to see a number of our youth players getting another chance at first-team football - I think this is what this competition is for us, and rightly so. I understand that we didn't play well, but I'm not too bothered about it.

Onto Oldham...

It most certainly was and very suprised that the 'goal' was allowed.

Fisher had the ball in control of his hand(s) and the sliding Bury player's impact knocked it out.

99 times out of a 100 a foul would have been given.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15647583.Five_talking_points_from_Rovers__Checkatrade_Trophy_tie_at_Rochdale/?ref=mac

It's not over yet.

If Stoke U21's draw tonight with Bury but win on penalties the Wembley dream is back on:)

I'd agree with nearly all of those comments. The writer obviously knows what he's talking about. Smiley Face.

Archived