Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Checkatrade Trophy

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cause this is how it feels to be burnley 

this is how it feels to be small

this is how it feels when your team wins nothing at all

Didnt they once win that Sherpa van trophy nonsense? Or did they lose 2 nil against Wolves? Hard to tell now really. I'm sure they lost. They're good at winning nothing after all.

As for this. I don't care.

21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think you probably know but our Cat 1 academy is not in it.

We will play our lads in our first team.

Really? I had no idea! Why aren't they in? 

Just now, J*B said:

Really? I had no idea! Why aren't they in? 

The 16 Cat 1 places were filled by invite from the EFL. PL Cat 1 invited first then spaces filled from the Championship.

One Cat 1 team per group and the rest of the places for L1 and L2 teams who must field a minimum of 5 first team squad players.

The competition has been made into a competitive training facility for Cat 1 top clubs who are kept apart as much as possible.

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/july/checkatrade-trophy-groups-revealed-for-efl-clubs/

58 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

This has got FMC '87 written all over it. You'll care when Lenihan rifles in the winner from a Feeney cross, after a flap from the Charlton keeper.

I like your style. But...

Blackburn Rovers vs Stoke u23s.? 

Come again? call a copper, have a word, turn it in, have a look. Nah.

I was 6 months old when this happened so long before my time. Heard alot about the day through some of our older (well older then me I mean) supporters. One question Ive always had is how come Charlton brought so few? Theyre a reasonably well supported club and Wembley is just up the road for them.. Were they in any particular turmoil at the time or something similar?

1 hour ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I was 6 months old when this happened so long before my time. Heard alot about the day through some of our older (well older then me I mean) supporters. One question Ive always had is how come Charlton brought so few? Theyre a reasonably well supported club and Wembley is just up the road for them.. Were they in any particular turmoil at the time or something similar?

Charlton were in a very difficult period of their history.

They had been through administration and had reformed in 1984 and had been forced out of using the Valley ground and used a groundshare at Palace until late 1992.

All this upheaval had an adverse effect on the support base of what was a local community club, even though they managed to get to the First Division (NOT L1!) during this period.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Charlton were in a very difficult period of their history.

They had been through administration and had reformed in 1984 and had been forced out of using the Valley ground and used a groundshare at Palace until late 1992.

All this upheaval had an adverse effect on the support base of what was a local community club, even though they managed to get to the First Division (NOT L1!) during this period.

Yeh I knew about the ground share with Palace. I can understand that affecting their home attendances, but would think that the chance for a positive day amongst the carnage (kind of like Coventry 40K + this year) would see them turn up in good number, down the road at a glamorous  venue..

26 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Yeh I knew about the ground share with Palace. I can understand that affecting their home attendances, but would think that the chance for a positive day amongst the carnage (kind of like Coventry 40K + this year) would see them turn up in good number, down the road at a glamorous  venue..

I think that a lot of the community 'left' the Club at that time with spirit broken.

Incompetent owners, financial problems, the forced groundshare was hated by most fans indeed they had a Politcal Party set up just to get back to the Valley.

Fans disenfranchised who never went back, like us after the 1960 FA Cup Final.

I was with the wife and young son in the Rovers masses behind one of the goals. Fantastic view of the Hendry, thanks to Miller, goal and of Vince O'Keefe making match saving blocks and SG missing a few!

The Charlton end was nothing like ours.

It was a great day as was OT in the semis years later.

On 07/07/2017 at 23:09, AllRoverAsia said:

I think you probably know but our Cat 1 academy is not in it.

We will play our lads in our first team.

Not sure you can last year teams where substituting players as soon as they kicked off because some rules to do with team strength .

1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

Not sure you can last year teams where substituting players as soon as they kicked off because some rules to do with team strength .

I have tried to collate the Checkatrade rules for this coming comp but its confusing.

The PL site says rules for the Checkatrade were eased in May 2017 but the EFL site says it's for EFL full strength first teams with a small fine if you break the rules.....

Elsewhere it says you must have 5 first team but that looks like for last season.

I think Rovers are ok to play any player on a full professional contract so that includes all the recent youngsters who got contracts. But I don't know for sure.

The PL aided by the EFL wants the Checkatrade to be competitive match experience for the top CAT 1 clubs entered.

They are the priority not the EFL clubs.

Archived