BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

38 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Just advice, carry on how you usually act if you like, but dont cry the victim when you get peoples backs up.

Disagree he was an improvement at start. His kicking was awful throughout, it didn't just get gradually worse and he always had a clanger in him.. Was 3rd choice keeper at Boro when we took him, Robbo went on to become a number 2 in the prem and even played in the prem.

That's why i said 'one of the worst keepers' - Fettis runs him very close.

I will carry on being positive and upbeat about our chances of going up and Mowbray. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I will carry on being positive and upbeat about our chances of going up and Mowbray. 

That's not what I meant and you know it. The needless point-scoring 'I was right and you were wrong' is what I meant - being positive or negative has nothing to do with it.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think it's the calling positive things facts but negative things opinions that wind people up. Plus bringing up when you got it right but crying victim when someone highlights when you got it wrong.

PS Steele has never been better than Robinson.

No matter how big you are as a club, you should not keep any player who doesn't want to be at that club.

Get the best possible deal for them and move them on.

You need a squad of players who will all run through a brick wall for the cause.

I think we will lose at least two of our big four (Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham).  Seems like Mulgrew and Lenihan have made it clear they want offski and it would be no surprise to learn that the agents of Raya and Graham are beavering away to try and get them a move.  It's football and the sad reality - we are now a 'third division' club.

As for Steele, I think he's a liability and not even our number 1.  Taking £500k from Sunderland for him would be a 'steal' for us. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As it stands, we seem to be have a squad capable of mounting a challenge, (with the addition of another striker).

The key is whether this will still be the case come 23:00 on August 31st .

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think we will lose at least two of our big four (Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham).  Seems like Mulgrew and Lenihan have made it clear they want offski and it would be no surprise to learn that the agents of Raya and Graham are beavering away to try and get them a move.

Back peddling your unfounded nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No matter how big you are as a club, you should not keep any player who doesn't want to be at that club.

You need a squad of players who will all run through a brick wall for the cause.

I think we will lose at least two of our big four (Raya, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham).  Seems like Mulgrew and Lenihan have made it clear they want offski and it would be no surprise to learn that the agents of Raya and Graham are beavering away to try and get them a move.  It's football and the sad reality - we are now a 'third division' club.

As for Steele, I think he's a liability and not even our number 1.  Taking £500k from Sunderland for him would be a 'steal' for us. 

I have seen nothing anywhere to indicate that Leneghan and Mulgrew have made it clear that they want away. Despite Coyle repeating ad nauseam last summer that Hanley and Duffy wouldn't be leaving the majority of us knew they would go. Mowbray is far more believable and he said players would only leave if it was his decision.

In my opinion anything other than extremely cautious optimism is willful ignorance. 

If you don't learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.

And the best way to predict the future is to look at what happened in the past.

Therefore what is most likely to happen is that the three or four of the few players that we can get a fee for will be sold.

Now I don't necessarily think that this is going to happen, it's just that previous evidence points to this.  

Venkys though are anything but predictable and maybe the accountants have told them to invest a little for some reason.

If you want to ignore the past then that's up to you, I think it's a bit dumb but that's just my opinion and other people with different opinions will give theirs.

It's one thing wanting to be upbeat but it doesn't mean you can't be critical.

8 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

In my opinion anything other than extremely cautious optimism is willful ignorance. 

Therefore what is most likely to happen is that the three or four of the few players that we can get a fee for will be sold.

Now I don't necessarily think that this is going to happen, it's just that previous evidence points to this.  

Venkys though are anything but predictable and maybe the accountants have told them to invest a little for some reason.

If you want to ignore the past then that's up to you, I think it's a bit dumb but that's just my opinion and other people with different opinions will give theirs.

Nail and head

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No offence meant here but certain people said we wouldnt sign anyone before July but we did. Same people said we wouldnt sign anyone after the season ticket early bird offer ended. Same people said the elton john concert wouldnt happen. It did. 

We currently have a manager who has proper organised Recruitment plan and is being allow to implent it

You just can't resist the personal digs against other fans can you Stuart???

C'mon Chris. Are you really going to go for smug at this juncture? Your list is longer than anyone's. Let's have a look at the end of the window. If we don't lose any of our strongest players I'll meet up and buy you a pint.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

C'mon Chris. Are you really going to go for smug at this juncture? Your list is longer than anyone's. Let's have a look at the end of the window. If we don't lose any of our strongest players I'll meet up and buy you a pint.

Actually he edited that. The last two sentences were originally not there. Not sure why he would do that - unless he didn't want others to get at him in response like I did and make it look like a response to you only.

13 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

It's pre-season, we've signed some good players, a lot better and more expensive than many predicted, we've sold no-one (YET) and the manager seems to have a bit about him.  If you can't be filled with hope and optimism at this time of the year with the window we've had so far then it time to go and support ASDA. The misery and despair can come when we're 17th in November and Mowbray has just walked cos Lenihan has been sold to pay for a 40ft high gold statue of Balaji. Until then I'm going to enjoy looking forward to the new season. The 'I told you so's' can wait....

Football is about passion. You make it sound like a really dull history lesson. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion;)

Glee Club (official member)

47 minutes ago, Mercer said:

One way of convincing people to stay is to keep hold of your best players, or fighting tooth and nail to keep them and then spending on some big hitters to replace them in the event they are sold.

Raya and Graham are more likely to want to move away if the club starts selling Lenihan and Mulgrew, because they will then question our ambition as a club to go straight back up. Whereas keep those players here and they are more likely to want to stay for the season.

There's nothing wrong with your theory of get the best possible deal for players who want away and then move on, but that isn't what happens at this club. 

The general pattern is that Venkys drag it out until the last minute by demanding unrealistic amounts for players. Then they eventually reduce their asking price once it becomes clear they aren't going to get what they want. Then the player often has to try and force a move and then the deal is done at the 11th hour leaving little/no time to reinvest whilst the season is well underway.

If Mulgrew wants to leave and a higher placed club offers good money for him then I wouldn't be opposed to selling him, but only if the deal was done by the end of July giving us sufficient time to strengthen and only if most/all of the money could go back into replacements. If not then there's no point in selling him because we'll struggle to do better in the last few days of the window with no money (see Wes Brown for Shane Duffy)

I think we have done good business up front. Usually we seem surprised when players are sold and we are scrambling around on deadline day Bagging  journeymen and chancers. 

I think we will probably sell one of our assets but one thing Venkys do is drive a hard bargain. 

There are more knowledgeable people on the board than me on the subject but if a Championship club want a goalie 500k seems a bit light. I know many people would drive him up there to collect the cash. 

Wednesday want Mulgrew apparently and they have plenty of money. What we will definitely need this year is a solid back four to manage long ball games. We need Mulgrew and Lenihan or credible alternatives quick so the rhythm of the team is not impacted early on. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No point scoring at all. Just FACTS!

Yes I can totally accept and somewhat agree at being skeptical about the owners and the past 7 years. But I feel this summer is very different to the others. I have given loads of reasons over the past 2 weeks. 

yes this summer is different we're preparing for league one Chris thanks to Venkys...So stop waxxing lyrical with your over positivness

I am optimistic looking at both Bolton and Wigans league one stints ...But I'm also very very cautious we'll be the big scalp also Southend and, Wigan will be there or around the play offs same with Bradford , Bury are going to have a go at it and then you've the big one Portsmouth with a manager who knows all about getting clubs out of this league

Then we have the Venkys scenario where it highly likely suits them to be in the lower divisions and a manager whose last league one spell was a unmitigated dissaster ( you could even say he took two teams down from two divisions in the same season )

As I have previously stated if we were a normal run club I'd think we'd walk up which you'd expect

I would personally drive Steele to any team for 500k. He is a Keeper who has constantly worried me, someone who flaps around and who can't command his own area. What I would give him credit for is being a great ambassador for the club. I constantly see him going out of his way to get his photos taken with young Rovers supporters. 

Just now, roverstdt said:

I would personally drive Steele to any team for 500k. He is a Keeper who has constantly worried me, someone who flaps around and who can't command his own area. What I would give him credit for is being a great ambassador for the club. I constantly see him going out of his way to get his photos taken with young Rovers supporters. 

another player who the football manager genius Chaddyrovers preferred over and ex England international

I would much rather see Raya in goal. Young keeper who will only learn and who has incredible reflexes. His performance in the FA Cup for Southport were immense. I would love to see Rankin Costello out on loan this year. I want to see him play the game on a weekly basis. Mulgrew for 1m I wouldn't sell, his leadership is far too important. Make him Captain with Lenihan as Vice Captain to learn from him 

Blueboy, I'm sorry if my post failed to entertain you, but I too can't wait for the season to start and I'm hopeful about every game, I'm just being realistic.

I hope Mulgrew, Lenihan and Evans all stay, I'll just be pleasantly surprised.

Not everything has to be black and white, misery or fantasy.

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

My failure !?!?

It's laughable - as it would be if all the pollsters / newspaper editors blamed Corbyn for Conservatives not achieving a majority of at least 70 seats which blew their forecasts out of the water and they were still predicting a large Conservative majority up until the polls closed! 

How can a personal opinion about the outcome of a match / season wind up a large % of this MB ?   If it does, they need to seek solitude on a desert island.

Ok, as long as its one with no bookies runners ;):rover:

2 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Blueboy, I'm sorry if my post failed to entertain you, but I too can't wait for the season to start and I'm hopeful about every game, I'm just being realistic.

I hope Mulgrew, Lenihan and Evans all stay, I'll just be pleasantly surprised.

Not everything has to be black and white, misery or fantasy.

It does on here.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:23, chaddyrovers said:

From Nixon

Blackburn. Bid coming in for keeper. Steele. May be on his way.

I damned well hope so, who the hell is daft enough.  He wasn't that good when he got here and he's gotten worse.

Anyone else think Steele tries to play to the cameras, make saves look more spectacular than they are but ends up screwing it up.

A friend of mine who's a keen Gunner reckons Arsenal's young winger Reiss Nelson would be an excellent loan signing for Rovers.  Only 17 but already figured in some of Arsenal's pre season games.  Feeling around Arsenal is that the lad needs regular first team football now and half a season or a season out on loan with a manager and club with the right football philosophy would do wonders for his development. 

On 21/07/2017 at 17:25, Butty said:

Bloody hell Chaddy I was just on twitter and saw this from Prixon and was going to share but you beat me to it. Don't mess about do you! If we can get some money for Steele then I would happily drive him to whoever the club is. 

I think you'd have a lot of company on that journey. Maybe we can go in a convoy. Ironic the material that gave us so many happy memories has come back to give us our worst goalkeeper in living memory.

9 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I think I'd let Mulgrew go for 1.5/2m, we could get a very good replacement with that who could actually play every game, and have a load left spare. I would go for an attacking left back who can play as one of 4 or on as a wing back when we play with 3, and let Williams be Mulgrew's replacement.

So you are assuming that further sales will lead to further transfers in? There is the alternative possibility that transfer sales will pay for players already signed with any surplus to Balaji's back pocket? 

Archived