BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

49 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Er no I think even at the time you justified Seniors stance on this, not quite sure why your now suggesting it's Venkys?

Nothing to do with Venkys, Senior clambered the tone with the they didn't add value quip and the other classic hit that the was money available but choose not to spend.

The chaddster strikes again it wasn't in the not too distant past he was senior's biggest cheer leader the same chaddster who advocated the dof head coach structure as the next best thing since sliced bread the same chaddyrovers whom preferred Steele over Robbo.. This is what winds people up with  chaddyrovers he changes course more than the wind changes direction... Now when is the chadometer making a comeback 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes it was. 

Wasnt the reason he didnt sign cos Venkys wouldnt authorise the deal cos Marshall hadnt be sold? 

Think before you speak chaddyrovers... 

59 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Er no I think even at the time you justified Seniors stance on this, not quite sure why your now suggesting it's Venkys?

Nothing to do with Venkys, Senior clambered the tone with the they didn't add value quip and the other classic hit that the was money available but choose not to spend.

4 minutes ago, Athlete said:

The chaddster strikes again it wasn't in the not too distant past he was senior's biggest cheer leader the same chaddster who advocated the dof head coach structure as the next best thing since sliced bread the same chaddyrovers whom preferred Steele over Robbo.. This is what winds people up with  chaddyrovers he changes course more than the wind changes direction... Now when is the chadometer making a comeback 

So Huddersfield might be signing a right back that Coyle possibly wanted? Maybe we should have kept that guy around ;) 

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

If we are going to be a trading club again as opposed to a selling one then Steele out for 500k and Samuel is the right kind of way to be going about it.

500,000 added to the kitty and Steele out is a great result. I'm amazed Sunderland have bid for him. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

500,000 added to the kitty and Steele out is a great result. I'm amazed Sunderland have bid for him. 

He can still improve and is still quite young for a keeper so to get someone like that for about 10k pwk is a cheap gamble for a big club I suppose. Add in no relocation issues or expense everyones a winner hopefully.

3 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Expect to see Raya number 1, Fisher number 2 and hopefully the money used to buy another reliable striker.

Cautiously optimistic but another 5 weeks before the window closes... 

Be nice to have a decent back up keeper to keep Raya on his toes in what will be his first season as a no 1 but yeah the money is probably more needed to be redirected into a striker. I think that area might be covered by a loan or two in though depending on what the plans are with Graham.

Getting any money for Steele is a result, without doubt the worse number 1 keeper we have had at Rovers in my lifetime.

I do feel he was the difference between us starting in league 1 or the championship this forthcoming season.

Forget any good signings managers have made in recent seasons. This guy being between the sticks Imo makes those signings irrelevant as a number of Managers have played him, not replaced him and it ultimately cost us our championship status.

I'd gladly drop him off anywhere he can fixed up.

The amount of games I saw rovers dominate last season to then witness Steele throw the game away , I have lost count.

I still remember the stupid penalty he gave away at home last season, it was like slow motion as the ball was running for a goal kick and he decided to just grab the players legs.

Shocking player 

This thread is tremendous. The first thing I do when we're linked with a player is look at their current clubs forums to see what opposition fans think. Imagine Sunderland fans logging into this! 

Ward isn't good enough imo and injury prone, Mulgrew has injury problems and Nyambe/Wharton both young. Even Lenihan has had fitness problems. We've also lost Greer/Brown (regardless of what you think of them) from a defence that was ravaged last year with injuries and not replaced either. Losing 2 and replacing them with none is never a good idea.

On another note - HAS STEELE GONE YET???

1 minute ago, Uxbridge rover said:

Glen have you forgotten about Alan Fettis ??

Agree that Steele has cost us valuable points though. 

Those of us who are old enough would throw John Barton in there.  Those not quite as old might also throw John Butcher in there. 

Just now, Mercer said:

Those of us who are old enough would throw John Barton in there.  Those not quite as old might also throw John Butcher in there. 

Darren Collier? 

I always thought he was too short to be a keeper

22 minutes ago, Uxbridge rover said:

Glen have you forgotten about Alan Fettis ??

Agree that Steele has cost us valuable points though. 

Difference was Fettis was brought in as a number 3 keeper and was firmly behind Flowers and Filan (who went on to have the form of his life the following season if I recall correctly...) 

Fettis was beyond awful but had the saving grace that he was backup to the backup. Admittedly he probably wasn't good enough for even that but Steele has been living up to his name and stealing a living at a number of clubs (interestingly when  Boro got a decent manager Steele went to being 3rd choice...) He was poor when Robbo was here and has somehow regressed from even those low standards. His kicking, positioning and handling are appalling, all of which are fairly basic for a keeper. 

That we get any sort of fee for him at all is excellent business for Rovers. 

John Butcher was fairly horrific as I recall. I guess his cause wasn't helped by him being the keeper, after the two best, we had whilst in the lower leagues. Roger Jones and Paul Bradshaw were both great keepers, with Jones being exceptional in our Third division days. I also remember Bradshaw winning ITV's save of the season with a fantastic double save away at Wolves. That save is as good as I have ever seen from a Rovers keeper and I would love to find a clip of it.

If this doesn't say everything I don't know what does. Just check out the best action shot that the Sunderland Echo could find of Steele in action - no other comment necessary:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-target-jason-steele-but-blackburn-rovers-boss-warns-they-don-t-have-to-sell-key-players-1-8668276

:lol::lol:

34 minutes ago, sjsbrfc said:

Darren Collier? 

I always thought he was too short to be a keeper

Ive always thought of Steele along the lines of him for some reason.

Those saying Fettis yeah he was crap but he was having some serious Prem fire power coming at him not bobbly long range free kicks away at Ipswich etc.

10 minutes ago, lraC said:

John Butcher was fairly horrific as I recall. I guess his cause wasn't helped by him being the keeper, after the two best, we had whilst in the lower leagues. Roger Jones and Paul Bradshaw were both great keepers, with Jones being exceptional in our Third division days. I also remember Bradshaw winning ITV's save of the season with a fantastic double save away at Wolves. That save is as good as I have ever seen from a Rovers keeper and I would love to find a clip of it.

That was some save but in my opinion it was bettered by a Roger Jones save from Les Bradd (I think) at Notts County in 1974. The crowd I was with all compared it to the Gordon Banks save against Brazil in 1970.

Another top keeper we had in the old Third Division was Jim Arnold who was bought by Howard Kendall from non league Stafford Rangers. Unfortunately for us he followed Kendall to Everton where he enjoyed a successful career in the First Division.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Why does everybody keep forgetting that we need a centre half :angry:

Because we don't need one!

Mulgrew, Lenihan, Wharton, Ward and Williams. 

You can't just expect us to sign players IN CASE someone leaves, after Mowbray has clearly said nobody will leave unless he makes the call 

Archived