BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he was very average at best to be honest , but I don't think he was quite as bad as some posters are claiming problem is if Raya gets the number 1 jersey and fluffs it where do we go if we don't bring in another keeper ???   , all the good work bringing in the quality outfield players in will be for nothing 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I bet Steele can't believe his luck ..... back in his native north east and from the dregs of League 1 to likely near the top of the Championship, with crowds of 30,000 plus. 

Sat watching it from the bench :o

1 hour ago, Brian-Potter said:

Looking on the Sunderland MB they are less than convinced by signing Steele, looks like a few have been reading this thread as well.

A few are saying that we will say he's useless now he's leaving............... If any of you Sunderland fans are reading this, trust me, this is not one of those occaions, we really are glad he's gone!

All they need look at is the fact he ended up no 2 to a rookie that's not fan opinion doing that it's the manager realising he's in poor form.

Whatever our views on Steele its safe to say Grayson is no mug and knows what he is doing. At the very least he sees Steele as a fairly cheap yet experienced GK as competition who has time on his side to improve. Whilst I'm not particularly disappointed to be seeing him go it wouldn't surprise me if he developed into a better player elsewhere and the other issue is that we now need an experienced goalkeeper to replace him. Expecting to depend entirely on Raya all season is pushing it. By all means approach it with him as Number 1 but he will need competition and someone with experience.

I wonder whether the £500,000 will be going into Mowbray's transfer pot for the 3-4 he needs to sign or whether that money has already been allocated with Samuel/Dack etc....

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Whatever our views on Steele its safe to say Grayson is no mug and knows what he is doing. At the very least he sees Steele as a fairly cheap yet experienced GK as competition who has time on his side to improve. Whilst I'm not particularly disappointed to be seeing him go it wouldn't surprise me if he developed into a better player elsewhere and the other issue is that we now need an experienced goalkeeper to replace him. Expecting to depend entirely on Raya all season is pushing it. By all means approach it with him as Number 1 but he will need competition and someone with experience.

I wonder whether the £500,000 will be going into Mowbray's transfer pot for the 3-4 he needs to sign or whether that money has already been allocated with Samuel/Dack etc....

Grayson has had some good keepers at PNE recently in Pickford and Johnson as comparison and I'm sure he has seen Steele play often enough to know what he's getting. 

I don't rate Steele but we now definitely need a replacement and wonder, like you, if the money coming in will just be used to balance some that has already been spent. 

• Backroom

Way out there, but how about Victor Valdes?

Should be looking at keepers like Ross Turnbull, Given, Nicky Weaver, Caballero, Myhill. Experienced, good, but potentially 'gettable' keepers.

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Way out there, but how about Victor Valdes?

Should be looking at keepers like Ross Turnbull, Given, Nicky Weaver, Caballero, Myhill. Experienced, good, but potentially 'gettable' keepers.

Given and Weaver have a combined age of 150 and are way past it. Valdes cabellero , come on pal, you may aswell have suggested Joe Hart . Turnbull and myhill I will give you are not bad shouts but even they would be fairly difficult to get to league 1. The Fisher lad from what I have seen is a decent keeper. So not overly concerned but obviously a proven goalie would be the better , safer option

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/july/steele-seals-sunderland-switch/

Steele gets a good luck.

Good deal, bought for £100k, sold for £500k and not 1st choice here anymore.

I hope we replace him with a bit of experience. Raya has it all to prove still.

Steele should be operating at a level or two lower than the championship just goes to show Simon Grayson is a keaner at football management who's there agent .

Poor Sunderland and their suppotrters.

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I bet Steele can't believe his luck ..... back in his native north east and from the dregs of League 1 to likely near the top of the Championship, with crowds of 30,000 plus. 

Someone has copied this post and claimed it as their own on the LT comments under the Steele story.  Unless you're 'Dukes' on there?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15436106.Sunderland_sign_Rovers_goalkeeper_Jason_Steele_for_an_undisclosed_fee/?ref=mac

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Someone has copied this post and claimed it as their own on the LT comments under the Steele story.  Unless you're 'Dukes' on there?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15436106.Sunderland_sign_Rovers_goalkeeper_Jason_Steele_for_an_undisclosed_fee/?ref=mac

I'll sue for copywright ! 

Or plagiarism

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well said.

The posters saying how bad a goalkeeper Steele is must also be saying how bad a manager Simon Grayson must be in signing him.

It never fails to astonish me how amateur posters have the gall to pass judgement on  the professionals within the game whether as players or management.

Tony Mowbray feels he can manage without him whereas Simon Grayson feels he can be an asset to his Sunderland side.

I wish Jason Steele well and thank him for his time at the club. I'm sure he has had really bad moments for us but at the same time he's had some very good performances.

Lets hope that next season our goalkeepers don't get criticised too readily.

1 minute ago, tonygreenbank said:

It never fails to astonish me how amateur posters have the gall to pass judgement on  the professionals within the game whether as players or management.

Lost for words on this one.... aren't fans allowed to have opinions on players and managers ???

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Lost for words on this one.... aren't fans allowed to have opinions on players and managers ???

Of course you can have an opinion but opinions of amateurs are like verbal blancmange; they look good but ultimately lack substance. I prefer to read the comments of professionals within the game who have walked the walk.

Have to laugh. Our first choice goalkeeper for most of last season for an undisclosed fee - meaning none of it can be re-used - and everyone thinks this is marvellous. We have been truly re-conditioned.

For all his (many) faults Sunderland must think he has something to offer.

More pertinently though, can we really afford to have such an inexperienced pair of keepers and hope for promotion? Especially given how fragile our defence is. We need a real leader at the back.

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

Of course you can have an opinion but opinions of amateurs are like verbal blancmange; they look good but ultimately lack substance. I prefer to read the comments of professionals within the game who have walked the walk.

Why bother coming on here then?  It's a messageboard for amateur pundits, albeit some are more talented than others :D

Archived