BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Backroom

So far since the end of last season:

- we've managed to keep hold of a manager who seems to have principles and a good football brain

- released mainly dead weight with only Mahoney being a real loss

- signed some players in positions we need including a couple in demand in our league and maybe the league above along with some unproven and some journeymen  

- only sold a goalkeeper that has failed to perform here for a decent fee  

Something doesn't feel right, the summer has been too smooth. There is a Venkypunch around the corner isn't there?

I don't want to feel that way I just can't escape the feeling!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitely in the wrong place if this MB is full of professionals & there comments. I though it was just a group of blokes talking b*llocks most of the time. These so-called pundits on the MOTD I think most of us are more qualified to speak more than them definitely make more sense.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Of course you can have an opinion but opinions of amateurs are like verbal blancmange; they look good but ultimately lack substance. I prefer to read the comments of professionals within the game who have walked the walk.

And yet you don't. Instead, you read a messageboard for fans...

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why bother coming on here then?  It's a messageboard for amateur pundits, albeit some are more talented than others :D

Actually Jim I come on here because I'm a Blackburn Rovers nut. I'm proud to be born in Blackburn and be a Rovers fanatic. I'm sure that back in 1996 when Lee Grooby set up this message board it was to collectively celebrate the fact that we were English champions. I'm sure it wasn't to pass judgement and pour scorn on certain players from the safety of a keyboard from people who've not been in that situation. 

We all surely want our club to be successful and I put my faith in Tony Mowbray to achieve that success whilst acknowledging the problems he obviously faces!

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

Actually Jim I come on here because I'm a Blackburn Rovers nut. I'm proud to be born in Blackburn and be a Rovers fanatic. I'm sure that back in 1996 when Lee Grooby set up this message board it was to collectively celebrate the fact that we were English champions. I'm sure it wasn't to pass judgement and pour scorn on certain players from the safety of a keyboard from people who've not been in that situation. 

We all surely want our club to be successful and I put my faith in Tony Mowbray to achieve that success whilst acknowledging the problems he obviously faces!

Come on, every fan on the "terraces" is a critic who think they can do better than the players on the pitch. They can't of course, but that's half of the fun of going to a football match ( and coming on here). 

5 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

We've got cash and will have lightened the wage bill for our reserve keeper.

Raya and Fishercare fine, if it doesn't work out loan keepers are always available.

Good bit of business indeed.

A decent back up keeper needed imo, failing to prepare is preparing to fail. We've seen it a thousand times here in recent years so hopefully TM gets it in hand soon.

50 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Of course you can have an opinion but opinions of amateurs are like verbal blancmange; they look good but ultimately lack substance. I prefer to read the comments of professionals within the game who have walked the walk.

Yes, talented football brains like Steve Kean and Owen Coyle, THAT is who I want to hear from.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A decent back up keeper needed imo, failing to prepare is preparing to fail. We've seen it a thousand times here in recent years so hopefully TM gets it in hand soon.

In an ideal world, but TM will have a budget so perhaps better spent on outfield players. If Raya gets injured, loses form, easy to bring in a keeper as always lots available.

No doubt we'll hear plenty more talk emerging about 'making do' with what we already have or relying on a few loans late on in the window to fill the gaps. I'm not convinced we're really at that stage yet given the net departures/arrivals. As Mowbray said at the start of the summer the club needs a squad of players who will be contracted to the club and be assets moving forward. This time next summer, regardless of what league we are in, we need to be starting from a better position than we have the last 2 summers with about 10 senior players on the books and worrying about those being sold. Dealing in the loan department of course suits Venkys from a financial perspective but unfortunately it will mean in January/next summer those players will likely be off with no financial reward to the club. Not to mention that loans usually get done late on in August and the season starts much sooner.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No doubt we'll hear plenty more talk emerging about 'making do' with what we already have or relying on a few loans late on in the window to fill the gaps. I'm not convinced we're really at that stage yet given the net departures/arrivals. As Mowbray said at the start of the summer the club needs a squad of players who will be contracted to the club and be assets moving forward. This time next summer, regardless of what league we are in, we need to be starting from a better position than we have the last 2 summers with about 10 senior players on the books and worrying about those being sold. Dealing in the loan department of course suits Venkys from a financial perspective but unfortunately it will mean in January/next summer those players will likely be off with no financial reward to the club. Not to mention that loans usually get done late on in August and the season starts much sooner.

Has Mowbray ever said he make do? 

He stated he wants another striker with maybe another one aswell. Pacey winger, We need a keeper and possibly left back 

If TM intends raya to be the number 1, I'm not overly concerned at getting a understudy in only a replacement as it could dent his confidence flipside to that though you could argue that another goalie will keep raya on his toes. Don't think there's any great sense of urgency in that position yet without preempting problems but mindful that there's potential to be a problem.

1 minute ago, Bluebarley said:

If TM intends raya to be the number 1, I'm not overly concerned at getting a understudy in only a replacement as it could dent his confidence flipside to that though you could argue that another goalie will keep raya on his toes. Don't think there's any great sense of urgency in that position yet without preempting problems but mindful that there's potential to be a problem.

If Raya gets injured we're fooked. No loan windows anymore. We need another keeper.

11 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Well said.

The posters saying how bad a goalkeeper Steele is must also be saying how bad a manager Simon Grayson must be in signing him.

It never fails to astonish me how amateur posters have the gall to pass judgement on  the professionals within the game whether as players or management.

Tony Mowbray feels he can manage without him whereas Simon Grayson feels he can be an asset to his Sunderland side.

I wish Jason Steele well and thank him for his time at the club. I'm sure he has had really bad moments for us but at the same time he's had some very good performances.

Lets hope that next season our goalkeepers don't get criticised too readily.

.......so why do the managers just keep on getting sacked ?

Archived