BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Since the Prem began I still can't think of a better English left back than Le Saux apart from Ashley Cole in terms of mixing being a class defender and great at attacking as well.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Hahahahahaha give over. I just remember Weaver's flopping hair bouncing all over the place in horrible 90s/2000s goalkeeping kits. I know he had a resurgence at Wednesday a few years back but I thought that was his final bow. 

Bring Nicky here! The hero of Manchester's year 1999. Both clubs had unbelievable seasons that year and this man smashed a penalty in if I remember correctly. 

Can we find Ian walker as back up

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Can we find Ian walker as back up

I was going to mention him as well another overated floppy haired twit lol

Bolton players used to work out some afternoons at a gym up our way when they trained on rented pitches at the ROF in Chorley.  Some rolled up in club mini bus, some on bikes and others in various motors but Walker always rolled up in his huge Bentley and strutted round like the king. Muppet.

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He marked Drogba out of the game. I knew then he was something special. Should have stayed with us for another year. It's a shame what injuries have done to him.

Remember the succession of tackles that was followed with a rising roar from the crowd?

Drogba *tackled*, Anelka *tackled*, Lampard *tackled* In the space of 5 seconds!

My dad (talking @#/?, perhaps) even now says that was the most comparable a performance he'd seen to Duncan Edwards for Utd.

Just now, Mike E said:

Remember the succession of tackles that was followed with a rising roar from the crowd?

Drogba *tackled*, Anelka *tackled*, Lampard *tackled* In the space of 5 seconds!

My dad (talking @#/?, perhaps) even now says that was the most comparable a performance he'd seen to Duncan Edwards for Utd.

Literally makes my hairs stand on end now just thinking about it and that's no exaggeration. When I saw his name in the starting line up against the team Chelsea had that year I was expecting an absolute drumming. What a performance he had.

I'd love for him to come back here one day but that's never going to happen. I do feel like he has to leave Utd to progress, as weird as that sounds. A club like Everton, West Ham or Southampton would be perfect for him - he'll play every game and not have the pressures of Utd.

I have to say I am impressed and delighted by this WIndow. Mowbray has come and established professionalism at the club that was so so sorely missed. Blackburn fans to me have always been the best fans in the world to me only because they will back someone to the moon and back as long as they see effort. You can see that support transitioning to Mowbray. Yes we have spent money and yes we have sold players but if I stand back and look from a far our squad this year would be worthy of mid to top Championship Level team. Credit when credit is due thank you mowbray 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Don't worry it's only saxo again his demise will be imminent :lol:

Call me David Vincent, but I am especially wary of "new posters", who close down and dismiss any posters, critical of Venky's and their accomplices.

What do BRFCS and Beechwood Garden Centre have in common?

Plants...

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Back in Don Mackay's day there was a keeper crisis with Gennoe injured/sick and Collier not up to the job. Mackay brought in Mark Grew on loan, who was out of favour at Port Vale. He was a breath of fresh air and many were disappointed to see him go when Bobby Mimms was signed.

Don't forget Andy Reitmeir (not sure how to spell it). As a boy I remember him playing one game in a midweek match - I think we won 4 - 1 or 4 - 0.

19 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Call me David Vincent, but I am especially wary of "new posters", who close down and dismiss any posters, critical of Venky's and their accomplices.

What do BRFCS and Beechwood Garden Centre have in common?

Plants...

Beechwood Garden's . loved that place as a Kid, would go up there weekly to play on the boat swings, Not been in years, but drove past a few times. Looks a lot different to as it was then

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

I have to say I am impressed and delighted by this WIndow. Mowbray has come and established professionalism at the club that was so so sorely missed. Blackburn fans to me have always been the best fans in the world to me only because they will back someone to the moon and back as long as they see effort. You can see that support transitioning to Mowbray. Yes we have spent money and yes we have sold players but if I stand back and look from a far our squad this year would be worthy of mid to top Championship Level team. Credit when credit is due thank you mowbray 

really??? How do Dack, Whitingham, Gladwin Smallwood and Samuel  bring you to that conclusion?  Most have either not cut it in the championship or hardly ever played there.

Mowbray is signing League one players who know league one and will hopefully have  enough to get us out .Beyond that since we got relegated we have played a few pub teams and won and all of a sudden all is well ?.

I reserve judgement on this brave new world that some seem to think is upon us. No problem with a straight bloke like Mowbray after what's been before but we still have the Venky factor and transfer deadline day to get past yet......oh and the simplest of tasks in putting a few wins on the board .

Frankly I just cant get myself up for this season at all. I cant come to terms with how we have got here and what these feckwits have done to us.....and they are still here and will carry on doing us.

Not asking anybody to agree with me but its just how I feel about the whole sorry mess.

10 minutes ago, TBTF said:

really??? How do Dack, Whitingham, Gladwin Smallwood and Samuel  bring you to that conclusion?  Most have either not cut it in the championship or hardly ever played there.

Mowbray is signing League one players who know league one and will hopefully have  enough to get us out .Beyond that since we got relegated we have played a few pub teams and won and all of a sudden all is well ?.

I reserve judgement on this brave new world that some seem to think is upon us. No problem with a straight bloke like Mowbray after what's been before but we still have the Venky factor and transfer deadline day to get past yet......oh and the simplest of tasks in putting a few wins on the board .

Frankly I just cant get myself up for this season at all. I cant come to terms with how we have got here and what these feckwits have done to us.....and they are still here and will carry on doing us.

Not asking anybody to agree with me but its just how I feel about the whole sorry mess.

Thats a harsh assessment. Whittingham has most definitely cut it in the Championship, while the others are young and haven't had the opportunity in the Championship yet. Dack in particular is a former League 1 player of the year, so all sign point towards him having the potential to improve and make it in the Championship or higher. 

As for "playing pub teams and winning and all of a sudden things being well" Would you be commenting that things are bad if we lost them? I would suggest that you would. We can only beat who is in-front of us at this point. 

If we can't get a better back up keeper than Steele, even on the worst of Venky-budgets, those responsible for scouting and transfers ought to pack up and go home. 

Reckon we'd be an attractive prospect for any decent reserve keeper - big club for this division, only one youngster (albeit a very promising one imo) ahead of them, and given the standard of our last number 1, not much pressure/history. Of all our problems, this one isn't a worry for me. A good defender and another striker are the more difficult positions to fill imo. 

50 minutes ago, meadows said:

There was also a foreign keeper played for us in Garners Testimonial in late 80's v Newcastle a Friday night pre season from memory. 

He was from somewhere in the old Yugoslavia 

Vladan Radača is the guy you are thinking of.  An experienced Yugoslavian international at the time.

13 minutes ago, meadows said:

I remember Jack Houldsworth referring to him as "Vlad the Impaler" on the night, brilliant.  

Two all draw from memory. I was terrifically impressed by John Robertson who they'd just signed from Hearts. He did nothing for them subsequently!!

Holden?...If so, my favourite Rovers summariser!

Just now, Torgeir said:

£2.5m

To be honest that's exactly the figure I was thinking while he is a huge part of our defense he's 31 now and I'd imagine his fitness record is not going to improve with age. 

As long as TM is in control of the signing of replacements I could accept £2.5 if we have the replacement/replacements lined up.

Archived