BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

I always find that those who don't hail from the area use 'Blackburn' a lot more, 'Rovers' is just hard wired into locals.

Exactly.

I don't understand why on here calling BLACKBURN Rovers, BLACKBURN is tantamount to treason. Nobody means anything bad by using and you all know who he meant. 

I get why non locals do it, though we are by far the most famous 'Rovers', we don't have the name recognition of say 'United' in their neck of the woods, so it is done for clarity.

Whenever I hear a local say it is a different matter, goes right through me!

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I always find that those who don't hail from the area use 'Blackburn' a lot more, 'Rovers' is just hard wired into locals.

I always say Blackburn partly as I'm not from the area partly I wouldn't like to seen calling it Rovers, Blackburn sounds allot better

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Don't start this sh1te again...

I know we had this conversation and I have no problem holding my hand up and saying, I was wrong about you. I have and always will refer to us as Rovers and after 45 years of it, I couldn't change, even if I wanted to.

45 minutes ago, thorpefleet said:

As I see it,  happy to be corrected if wrong. The players last year could not do the job and got us relegated.

Mowbray has made some great signings and today has said more deals to be done including a keeper.

I wish him well as I do our new team that have shown more hunger than in the previous season.

I like what I am seeing.  I hope we keep Mulgrew, Lenihan,Evans .

The Squad looks better than in our previous season but I have only seen the Highlights. 

looking at the past few pre-season friendlies, Blackburn have put up a massive fight and have improved since last season. (not very hard!)

I think this year they are definately on the right track and on the road of promotion and recovery.

Arguably the manager (Coyle) was the main reason we got relegated last season, not the players.

i don't think the team is actually any better, we've just got a sensible manager for the first time in a long time.

12 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I always say Blackburn partly as I'm not from the area partly I wouldn't like to seen calling it Rovers, Blackburn sounds allot better

Another infiltrator ! 

Just now, OJRovers said:

Arguably the manager (Coyle) was the main reason we got relegated last season, not the players.

i don't think the team is actually any better, we've just got a sensible manager for the first time in a long time.

That was proven beyond any reasonable doubt, once you compare the results pre and post Coyle.

11 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

It really doesn't. It's Rovers. There's even a sign next to Jacks statue that says Rovers FC. The same that was outside the old Blackburn End.

It really is "Rovers" rather than "Blackburn" although it's understandable why those from further afield would use the latter of course.

5 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

No doubt whatsoever that Mowbray has his head screwed on right.

However, it's yet to be determined whether or not he will reverse our decline.

This coming season will give us a good idea.

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yep, Kevin Moran too.

Even Jason Roberts was a battle horse who wouldn't back down from a physical duel

I always felt that for a bloke built like a brick outhouse, he was such a jessie! He fell over if he heard a fan fart!

23 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Excuse me?

LV, I think it sounds classier tbf.

9 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

It really doesn't. It's Rovers. There's even a sign next to Jacks statue that says Rovers FC. The same that was outside the old Blackburn End.

It really is "Rovers" rather than "Blackburn" although it's understandable why those from further afield would use the latter of course.

Again it's about opinions referring to it as Rovers is clearly localism in the same way as Doncaster and Bristol. Calling it Blackburn is association of it by area and probably better relevant when speaking to a neutral. I mean when the subject of football comes up at work if I'm in my London office I don't pipe up with "rovers" they wouldn't have an idea who, besides I think it's slightly more elegant in conversation to say Blackburn as opposed to Rovers.

Each to their own.

27 minutes ago, lraC said:

I know we had this conversation and I have no problem holding my hand up and saying, I was wrong about you. I have and always will refer to us as Rovers and after 45 years of it, I couldn't change, even if I wanted to.

He was Owen Coyle Jnr though this time last year to be fair :lol::lol:

Archived