BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

I always thought Dickov and Savage were overcommited posers without a real meaningful impact. Sherwood on the other hand was a master. He could tackle, head, be nasty when needed but most of all control the game. Without doubt the best and most influential midfielder last 30 years.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

LV, I think it sounds classier tbf.

Again it's about opinions referring to it as Rovers is clearly localism in the same way as Doncaster and Bristol. Calling it Blackburn is association of it by area and probably better relevant when speaking to a neutral. I mean when the subject of football comes up at work if I'm in my London office I don't pipe up with "rovers" they wouldn't have an idea who, besides I think it's slightly more elegant in conversation to say Blackburn as opposed to Rovers.

Each to their own.

Presumably they know you're a Rovers supporter - so call us by the name our fans use.

I don't think in all my years I've ever referred to us as "Blackburn", even in the company of fans of other clubs. There's only one Rovers. . 

9 minutes ago, briansol said:

I always thought Dickov and Savage were overcommited posers without a real meaningful impact. Sherwood on the other hand was a master. He could tackle, head, be nasty when needed but most of all control the game. Without doubt the best and most influential midfielder last 30 years.

Tugay?

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Tugay?

Loved Tugay, no doubt the most gifted with the ball, but Sherwood was better allround and more influential. Captain of title winning team and sale of Sherwood led to relegation. Dominating defensive presence who would square up against Vieira. Great passer and also had goals in his locker. 

Maybe a younger version of Tugay would have been better but we only had him when his legs were gone. 

26 minutes ago, briansol said:

You're right that Savage wasn't a tackler but he harried the opposition into making mistakes because he chased absolutely everything. You couldn't relax on the ball because Savage would be there almost immediately. There's more than one way to skin a cat

Likewise with Dickov, which was the point I was making really - players who created an impression with the opposition, whose inlfuence was significant in a positive way, and through whom we gained an advantage on the field. In fact, any player the antithesis of JLowe ;)

20 minutes ago, gumboots said:

You're right that Savage wasn't a tackler but he harried the opposition into making mistakes because he chased absolutely everything. You couldn't relax on the ball because Savage would be there almost immediately. There's more than one way to skin a cat

For me Savage has lost his edge when he came as a 30 year old. He didn't have the legs anymore that made his intensity in pressuring so effective earlier in his career.  Jermaine Jones had a brief spell but with more impact on the games.

Jones had far more bite but I think you're doing Savage a huge disservice. The way he played made others raise their game too. His role and he freely admits it was to get the ball by whatever means and give it to Tugay.

12 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Jones had far more bite but I think you're doing Savage a huge disservice. The way he played made others raise their game too. His role and he freely admits it was to get the ball by whatever means and give it to Tugay.

Savage was probably the only player I've ever seen who could have a very good game whilst barely touching the ball. Summed up the ethos of that Hughes team, could run further, for longer than everyone else in the league, just horrible to play against.

Also, sadly, meant it was all the more noticeable that his legs were gone once he got injured.

24 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Savage was probably the only player I've ever seen who could have a very good game whilst barely touching the ball. Summed up the ethos of that Hughes team, could run further, for longer than everyone else in the league, just horrible to play against.

Also, sadly, meant it was all the more noticeable that his legs were gone once he got injured.

Agreed. He lost his effectiveness and wasn't played but until then he was great

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

David batty was our enforcer during the championship season. Sherwood was a nonce

With Batty = poor form.

With Atkins = great form.

18 minutes ago, roverandout said:

David batty was our enforcer during the championship season. Sherwood was a nonce

Is that the same David Batty who said he didnt deserve a medal because he didnt play enough.....Sherwood meanwhile lifted the trophy.....some nonce.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Presumably they know you're a Rovers supporter - so call us by the name our fans use.

I don't think in all my years I've ever referred to us as "Blackburn", even in the company of fans of other clubs. There's only one Rovers. . 

I have always referred to us as Rovers but never got upset by anyone calling us Blackburn.  Therefore let's agree to differ and also agree that either Rovers or Blackburn is 10,000% better than Burnley or Burnley as they have only one name.

Scratch that, of course they are known as F***ing Burnley!

2 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

5 weeks until the window closes. No panic. Cheston & Chaddy have it all in hand.

We are going to smash this division. All the other teams are crap and will roll over for us because we have the biggest budget and the best training facility.

The only concern is if TM can do better than last season when he was relegated or his previous job where he was bottom of League 1.

It would be unfortunate if he let down "the owners" who have shown such faith in him. I really am starting to feel sorry for the Raos, after their run of terrible luck.

chad.jpg

4 hours ago, bob fleming said:

It really doesn't. It's Rovers. There's even a sign next to Jacks statue that says Rovers FC. The same that was outside the old Blackburn End.

It really is "Rovers" rather than "Blackburn" although it's understandable why those from further afield would use the latter of course.

Most likely originally referred to as 'Rovers' to avoid confusion with Blackburn Olympic, the town's other famous club.

Archived