BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Has it? Aside from this signing which other signing has not improved the squad?

Look at the signings;

Nutall - Aberdeen thought he was pish, couldn't hack Scottish L1. If this isn't to make sure we've 11 players on a pitch development squad wise then I don't know. 21 ain't he? Waste of wages at a key time.

Caddis - One of the better ones but freed by Bury and Big Club recently, wrong side of 30 and a two year deal for a player who will be to slow in the Championship next year. Should have been 1 year deal MAX.

Smallwood - I berated it at the time, I've seen two games now pre season bar tackling this guy looks woeful and clumsy. Another ex Mowbray man which shows a lack a lack of recruitment nous especially when you've scouts, Venus and TM both talking about recruitment yet this guy in there phone book rocks up. Wanted by Burton, milllwall and Bolton who will all be joining this league next year speaks volumes let alone failing to be a regular in a Scunthorpe side and loaned out by the poorest season performance by a team "Rothetham" I've seen for a while.

Gladwin - Another who looks poor and negative opinions of Swindow and QPR fans though I actually think his confidence is shot. Hardly wanted anywhere but Rovers sign him up for a few years, why?

Whittingham - Would have been good a few years ago, tail end of his career and looks like he finds it difficult to be mobile, yet fans said the same about Evans and Guthrie last year, so he's not going to fit a 4-4-2 limiting our tactics to some one lone frontman style. Got Damny Murphy all over it, hope I'm wrong though as again we've got him for two years!

Dack - rate the lad and I've been calling him out as a future signing, his off year last year happens. Think he will run midfield with Evans.

Samuel - Same as above but another in TMs mobile probably as I think he was at Coventry. Got potential and the height to be a target man, decent finisher not rapid but quick just needs to learn composure. 

Jayson - why sign a keeper who realistically won't challenge your number 1? A lad who couldn't displace Steele and another one from TMs phone book.

All in all it doesn't look well researched despite the amount of time they've had and scouts at the club, not very imaginative. Lot pending on Whittingham making a big impact and still having both a heart and legs for a long season this and next year.

For the record I don't think technically perhaps Whitts are on Guthries level. I'd have Lowe over Smallwood. I'm equally balanced but call it as it is, I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic bar Chaddy who tries to relate anything negative I say to TM.

Judge is out on TM, helped take us down partially and I'm not convinced we are good enough for top 2, need goals especially when Graham's hip pops again.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

Look at the signings;

Nutall - Aberdeen thought he was pish, couldn't hack Scottish L1. If this isn't to make sure we've 11 players on a pitch development squad wise then I don't know. 21 ain't he? Waste of wages at a key time.

Caddis - One of the better ones but freed by Bury and Big Club recently, wrong side of 30 and a two year deal for a player who will be to slow in the Championship next year. Should have been 1 year deal MAX.

Smallwood - I berated it at the time, I've seen two games now pre season bar tackling this guy looks woeful and clumsy. Another ex Mowbray man which shows a lack a lack of recruitment nous especially when you've scouts, Venus and TM both talking about recruitment yet this guy in there phone book rocks up. Wanted by Burton, milllwall and Bolton who will all be joining this league next year speaks volumes let alone failing to be a regular in a Scunthorpe side and loaned out by the poorest season performance by a team "Rothetham" I've seen for a while.

Gladwin - Another who looks poor and negative opinions of Swindow and QPR fans though I actually think his confidence is shot. Hardly wanted anywhere but Rovers sign him up for a few years, why?

Whittingham - Would have been good a few years ago, tail end of his career and looks like he finds it difficult to be mobile, yet fans said the same about Evans and Guthrie last year, so he's not going to fit a 4-4-2 limiting our tactics to some one lone frontman style. Got Damny Murphy all over it, hope I'm wrong though as again we've got him for two years!

Dack - rate the lad and I've been calling him out as a future signing, his off year last year happens. Think he will run midfield with Evans.

Samuel - Same as above but another in TMs mobile probably as I think he was at Coventry. Got potential and the height to be a target man, decent finisher not rapid but quick just needs to learn composure. 

Jayson - why sign a keeper who realistically won't challenge your number 1? A lad who couldn't displace Steele and another one from TMs phone book.

All in all it doesn't look well researched despite the amount of time they've had and scouts at the club, not very imaginative. Lot pending on Whittingham making a big impact and still having both a heart and legs for a long season this and next year.

@#/? hell. You've not seen any of them play a competitive match for Rovers yet. At least give them 5-10 games if you can't be arsed giving them half a season.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

@#/? hell. You've not seen any of them play a competitive match for Rovers yet. At least give them 5-10 games if you can't be arsed giving them half a season.

No that's fair to say 10 games to be fair and that goes for TM

4 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

It is anti Venkys to correct your statement.

Please name the 7 as I count 5

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Here is the first team.

I like how Caddis just looks like a middle aged bloke from the pub.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/development-squad/profiles/

Only a 12 man development squad ? Bare bones (sponsored by KPMG)

We signed 8 players

Whittingham

Smallwood

Dack

Gladwin

Samuel

Caddis

Nuttall

Leutwiler

Plus Nyambe has signed a new comtract

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Which of the 14 that have left were you disappointed about? Loans don't count as we didn't own them.

We had 6 players on loan and only Gallager performed all season. 

35 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Doesn't matter where he is or how many games he has played.

The point is money we got for him didn't get reinvested back into the squad like some people believed.

So, selling Lenihan for £5million makes no difference because history tells us Venkys won't reinvest it back into the squad.

Yes i get that, sorry my point was Hanley left for bigger things but it never happened, I hope Lenihan takes note. then again might be out of his hands

6 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Look at the signings;

For the record I don't think technically perhaps Whitts are on Guthries level. I'd have Lowe over Smallwood. I'm equally balanced but call it as it is, I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic bar Chaddy who tries to relate anything negative I say to TM.

Judge is out on TM, helped take us down partially and I'm not convinced we are good enough for top 2, need goals especially when Graham's hip pops again.

Mr negative and Grumpy

Lowe and Guthrie are better than Whittingham and Smallwood? Really? What planet are you on cos it aint tbis one pal  

4-4-2? We havent played that system all pre season. Systems used has been 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1. So you clearly havent been watching closely enough

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

Paul Caddis is 29. 

The confusion probably came from the fact he looks like he's the right back for the Dog and Duck (hangover permitting) and fits fruit machines in his spare time.

18 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

No that's fair to say 10 games to be fair and that goes for TM

10 games? I will give him 15 to 20 games before judging him

6 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

I am not saying I was disappointed. I am talking about size of the playing staff and how the squad size is vastly reduced (wages) but with that our vulnerability to compete effectively over the course of a season.

We need bodies. Bodies cost money. Loans are bodies.

8 signings made and all permanent. 

3 minutes ago, david brent said:

I was just about to query Dunnfc's definition of 'wrong side of 30' but you got there first!

Exactly. Dunnfc does.keep saying that. 

15 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Look at the signings;

You should stick to your accountancy posts because so far every single post you have made on the topic of football has been awful. Sorry to say but true.

Nuttall is clearly signed for the youth team. Judging him on past performances is wrong; he played in poor teams.

Caddis: For one he's 29, not over 30. He's had his injury problems but he's certainly an improvement on our previous RB (Henley) and almost certainly improved the squad. He has experience and ability.

Smallwood: We've lacked bite in the midfield for ages. He has replaced Hope Akpan as the ball winning midfielder. Akpan couldn't tackle for toffee, had the touch of a brick wall and the vision of Helen Keller. He was a regular for Scunthorpe (16 apps when he went in January) and by all accounts Rotherham were a much worse team when he was offloaded. He was also a starlet for Rotherham in their promotion season in League 1. Adds experience to this level and a greater degree of physicality than Akpan give us. Definitely an improvement.

Gladwin is perhaps one I agree with you on. However, with the severe lack of options available to us in midfield prior to him coming you could argue he is an improvement. He was also rated quite highly at Swindon at this level.

Whittingham: Finally gives us a set-piece taker, something we've lacked for years, has experience and a touch of class. Gives us a passer of the ball we've not seen since Cairney. He will get plenty of assists. He's definitely an improvement as I can't name a single player from last season with his ability on the ball. Can you?

Dack: Player of the year. Highly rated. Fills a position we've not had for years. Only had a bad performance last year due to being unsettled.

Samuel: Came in as back up to DG. Rated when he played for Gillingham and Coventry prior to a bad injury. Definitely an improvement as we had no other back up striker.

To say you'd rather have Lowe speaks for itself. Shocking statement.

Just because a player has worked with a manager before doesn't mean its lazy management. He knows what the player is about and trusts in his ability. I respect that.

What on earth are you on about "imaginative"? We've signed some players from some crazy leagues in the past, unknown to anyone, and they didn't get a sniff. These players bought are all lads that have come with a reputation or talk of potential. In signing players we don't need "imagination" - we need form, potential, value and ability. This isn't an art project; this isn't some sort of media tech business were we should take a punt on someone because they sent their CV in video form, it's football.

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

Why sign him or why is he about to be released? He has fallen out with the Manager apparently and has not scored in 9 months. However he claims he only started a few games. Proven at Premiership level and only 33. Maybe worth a punt

Look at his goalscoring record please. He's awful

Archived