BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Do we have to keep going over this I have already answered , I have now put you on my ignore list of people who keep questioning my posts, you are number 8756 , anyway I am only here to talk football having watched it for 40+ years I am a expert.

This is the transfer thread please keep on topic like I have

I think we should sign a midfielder, forward, wing back defender do you? do you want me to send  you my list of 5000 defenders who I think we should sign , then you can back me up that I mentioned one of them if he signs and I get a gold star

p.s Get behind the lads FFS! :)

:lol: I see what you did there 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, alcd said:

It's evident that TM is not getting the best out of the players at his disposal. He must fix on a formation and use the players suited to it. Mulgrew should be at left back and Lenihan in defensive midfield or Smallwood if DL is sold.. Conway on left wing and Dack on right side of midfield with Samuel and Antonsson up top. The other midfield place would be either Evans or Gladwin. Nyambe or Caddis at RB. This means two new centre backs at least one with previous experience of L1 and the other pacy and comfortable on the ball. The likes of Graham, Whittingham, Chapman, Bennett and Williams are useful options on the bench and might also serve to wake up a couple of those who clearly need a boot up the arse.

Is Lenihan a better DM than Smallwood? I would leave Lenihan centre half, but we definitely need a proper centre half with him. 

Has Dack played right midfield before? 

15 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Do we have to keep going over this I have already answered , I have now put you on my ignore list of people who keep questioning my posts, you are number 8756 , anyway I am only here to talk football having watched it for 40+ years I am a expert.

This is the transfer thread please keep on topic like I have

I think we should sign a midfielder, forward, wing back defender do you? do you want me to send  you my list of 5000 defenders who I think we should sign , then you can back me up that I mentioned one of them if he signs

p.s Get behind the lads FFS! :)

This has brightened up a dull Monday afternoon.

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

It used to be said that you couldn't be a centre half unless you'd had your nose broken a few times. I see Chiellini and that is how one should look.

A few years ago I was outside Ewood before a match and I came across Frank Barlow who I knew well from his time as assistant manager to the likes of Steve Bruce and Trevor Francis. He was actually scouting for Bruce and looking at a centre half. Now Frank was real old school and told me that on the previous Saturday he had gone to scout a centre half but when the team's came out the player had blonde streaks in his hair and pink boots. He watched for twenty minutes and left with his report recommending not to pursue this player.

Well he is a truly awful scout if he left because of the players appearance. 

Rovers had a centre half in the 1970s called Bobby Bell. He played 2 games for us after signing from Ipswich, then cricked his neck washing his hair and was quickly shifted on to Crystal Palace.

Frank Barlow would have approved. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Rovers had a centre half in the 1970s called Bobby Bell. He played 2 games for us after signing from Ipswich, then cricked his neck washing his hair and was quickly shifted on to Crystal Palace.

The only consolation there was he didn't call the club, to say he wasn't available to play, because he was washing his hair. It appears that's the sort of things the current crop would do.

Just now, lraC said:

The only consolation there was he didn't call the club, to say he wasn't available to play, because he was washing his hair. It appears that's the sort of things the current crop would do.

Bell joined us as part of the deal that took Allan Hunter to Portman Road. To say we got the rough end of the deal is putting it mildly

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Bell joined us as part of the deal that took Allan Hunter to Portman Road. To say we got the rough end of the deal is putting it mildly

It was probably a touch before my time, so I don't recall him. Norman was the only Bell I recall during my Rovers supporting days.

Just now, lraC said:

It was probably a touch before my time, so I don't recall him. Norman was the only Bell I recall during my Rovers supporting days.

There's a few bell(s) in recent years we've had playing for us that i could list off.

1 minute ago, lraC said:

I don't think I actually saw Bobby Bell play but Hunter was a fantastic tough as nails old-school centre -half. We got him from Oldham and he went on to have an excellent career with Bobby Robson's  very successful Ipswich  team.

They don't make them like Hunter any more. We certainly could do with him now. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I don't think I actually saw Bobby Bell play but Hunter was a fantastic tough as nails old-school centre -half. We got him from Oldham and he went on to have an excellent career with Bobby Robson's  very successful Ipswich  team.

Was he related to Norman by any chance, Norman Hunter that is, not Bell?

Comment on a Doncaster forum 'the players and set up at Blackburn they should walk this league, still might. However the whole thing is poisoned there and they only ever seem to sign players and recruit managers who are on a downward spiral'

Says a lot that.

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The Bell deal was a pretty astute piece of business by Ken Furphy.  He insisted that he was part of the deal when Hunter was sold to Ipswich and then made him our captain.  After two appearances Palace came in for him and Furphy was able to sell him for £50,000 to aid his rebuilding of the team.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

The Bell deal was a pretty astute piece of business by Ken Furphy.  He insisted that he was part of the deal when Hunter was sold to Ipswich and then made him our captain.  After two appearances Palace came in for him and Furphy was able to sell him for £50,000 to aid his rebuilding of the team.

........not sure about that. We lost Hunter, one of  the best centre halves I've seen in a Rovers shirt - and that includes Hendry and England. 

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Comment on a Doncaster forum 'the players and set up at Blackburn they should walk this league, still might. However the whole thing is poisoned there and they only ever seem to sign players and recruit managers who are on a downward spiral'

Says a lot that.

Not really true though. Our signings this summer were a mixed bag so far to be fair, you couldn't really consider Dack to be on a downward spiral. The guy is 23 and was the best player in the division one season ago.

As for our set up, well I suppose a set up doesn't win you games. 

We can still come right. Just need an attitude change from the players first and foremost. They need to earn the fans support at this point. 

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

........not sure about that. We lost Hunter, one of  the best centre halves I've seen in a Rovers shirt - and that includes Hendry and England. 

I think Hunter was always likely to go as he had just arrived on the international scene in the Home Internationals that summer.  At least Furphy held out for the best possible deal.  Our team needed rebuilding and with no cash it was always a case of selling either Jones or Hunter - the only two who would bring in serious money.  Agree that Hunter was a class act.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

do me a favour.... he must be well into his eighties...............

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not really true though. Our signings this summer were a mixed bag so far to be fair, you couldn't really consider Dack to be on a downward spiral. The guy is 23 and was the best player in the division one season ago.

As for our set up, well I suppose a set up doesn't win you games. 

We can still come right. Just need an attitude change from the players first and foremost. They need to earn the fans support at this point. 

To a neutral looking in over the past few years though it would certainly look the way the Donny comments aluded to. 

Dack himself has had a poor year or so and if things are true has been beset by a lot of self inflicted personal issues so some could argue he's been on a downward curve as well which is what the comments said.

40 minutes ago, tomphil said:

To a neutral looking in over the past few years though it would certainly look the way the Donny comments aluded to. 

Dack himself has had a poor year or so and if things are true has been beset by a lot of self inflicted personal issues so some could argue he's been on a downward curve as well which is what the comments said.

What personal issues? 

Archived