BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, SkipDonoghue said:

The young players at the club might as well start looking for other clubs now....this is a joke bringing in a 17 year old from WBA smacks of desperation to me....start looking at the young lads you have Mowbray FFS instead of developing every other clubs youngsters it's a joke

i think the young players at the club are further away from the 1st team than they have ever been under any manager 

it won't be long before some are off if it remains the same come January

they destroyed Wolves on Monday but all this kind of story does is makes them think what's the point if we can't get a look in....great way to demoralise the young players at the club this kind of thing

Mowbray may need them sooner than he thinks the way things are going so I would have thought keeping their spirits up might be important

Really good points that I think the majority will agree with. Although I never saw them play the cases of Samuelson and Byrne from last season confirm your point. There does seen to be an unhealthy obsession around PL young players but in reality are they better (or even as good) as our own?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SkipDonoghue said:

The young players at the club might as well start looking for other clubs now....this is a joke bringing in a 17 year old from WBA smacks of desperation to me....start looking at the young lads you have Mowbray FFS instead of developing every other clubs youngsters it's a joke

i think the young players at the club are further away from the 1st team than they have ever been under any manager 

they destroyed Wolves on Monday but all this kind of story does is makes them think what's the point if we can't get a look in....great way to demoralise the young players at the club this kind of thing

Mowbray may need them sooner than he thinks the way things are going so I would have thought keeping their spirits up might be important

Great post. Tomlinson looked one of our best players in the games I watched during pre-season. I am baffled as to why he isn't involved in the first team. 

Didn't Doyle come on the other day though? 

A judgement has to be made on the young lads, - either they're deemed good enough, in which case they should be given their chance from the bench, - or they're deemed not ready, in which case they shouldn't be thrown in. I've never been persuaded by the "give the kids a chance" argument which crops up whenever the first team is struggling. That's the worst time to throw them in.

1 minute ago, den said:

A judgement has to be made on the young lads, - either they're deemed good enough, in which case they should be given their chance from the bench, - or they're deemed not ready, in which case they shouldn't be thrown in. I've never been persuaded by the "give the kids a chance" argument which crops up whenever the first team is struggling. That's the worst time to throw them in.

It's the fact we are looking at other teams youngsters yet again instead of looking closer to home that frustrates me....this kid from WBA is no better than what we have its all because he is at a Prem club that's it as someone said above

our U23s are more than a match for WBA so why the obsession...our young players will look and think might as well try my hand at a Burnley...Bournmouth...Hull etc who are all lower in terms of academy categorie but have big budgets running into the millions for signing young players alone....they might as well play at one of the above clubs in their u23s where chances will be as limited but the money is better and the chances of a decent loan move increases

Mahoney is a prime example £14k/ week to play u23 football for Bournmouth all because he was @#/? about by managers who wouldn't give him a chance until it was to late

Samuleson and Byrn didn't work out and in the end was a major reason Mahoney left the club as he was overlooked until there were no other options to pursue...it looks like the same errors in judgment are being made again but just by a different manager and with young players who at least deserve to be involved in 1st team squad/bench etc

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness though, if that kid at West Brom is making his premier league debut at 17,he must be handy enough 

Let's see how many appearances he makes this season WBA have given debuts to three 17/18 year olds in the last couple of seasons Sam Field, Jonathan Leko and Tyler Roberts all 3 are by no means regulars and have played and been on the losing side to Rovers u23s in the last season or two so it looks like this lad is the latest one ....prem clubs do this all the time dip a player in its so they can say to prospective players within the academy look we have a pathway for you, WBA started doing it when they lost Izzy Brown to Chelsea and Jan Danda to Liverpool respectively 

so it doesn't mean anything just once again they are keeping one of their better prospects happy 

6 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Let's see how many appearances he makes this season WBA have given debuts to three 17/18 year olds in the last couple of seasons Sam Field, Jonathan Leko and Tyler Roberts all 3 are by no means regulars and have played and been on the losing side to Rovers u23s in the last season or two so it looks like this lad is the latest one ....prem clubs do this all the time dip a player in its so they can say to prospective players within the academy look we have a pathway for you, WBA started doing it when they lost Izzy Brown to Chelsea and Jan Danda to Liverpool respectively 

so it doesn't mean anything just once again they are keeping one of their better prospects happy 

True, although these are obviously their best prospects

You wouldn't mind about signing a central midfielder but a 17 year old one?! Makes no sense.

Can see from the Bradford thread, everyone has different teams and I don't think Mowbray could be any further away from knowing his best 11.

Forget signing 17 year old midfielders, get a left back and centre back in.

Serious questions over Mowbrays transfer recruitment,

3 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Can we please stop including Wharton, Doyle and Tomlinson as first team players. They have between them about 300 minutes of football in competitive matches for Rovers. It masks the issues, especially at left back where we are obviously very short. I don't think any of the 3 youngsters are ready for first team football yet at this level.

3 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Who do I BELIEEEEVE?!?!

3 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Its already happened Mahoney left to play in a lower grade of youth football , and looking at last season WBA u18 and U23 where both below where our u18 and u23 finished so unless he was exceptional why would you waste wages on him when we have plenty of  midfielders 

4 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Can we please stop including Wharton, Doyle and Tomlinson as first team players. They have between them about 300 minutes of football in competitive matches for Rovers. It masks the issues, especially at left back where we are obviously very short. I don't think any of the 3 youngsters are ready for first team football yet at this level.

Always way we know if they are ready is to play them. We have a Cat 1 status so.time to start using it

4 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Stuart Armstrong has signed a new deal with Celtic today so that could be the final piece in the jigsaw for allowing Henderson to go out on loan, or they could be waiting to sign Patrick Roberts until Henderson is allowed to move on.

Roberts staying at City I read the other day. 

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Couldn't agree more with this.  The only way we will know if lads like Doyle, Tomlinson, Travis, Hardcastle, Nuttall etc, are ready is by playing them.  There comes a point when players start to stagnate and go backwards if they are not given a chance.  The likes of Metcalfe, Fazackerley, Wood, Bailey, Hird, Bradford, Barker, Patterson etc. were given their opportunities early and allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.   

Exactly. The under 23's are playing well. Nuttall got 2 today so.far to go with his hat trick on Monday. 

Time to see.if Doyle, Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Platt, Rankin Costello are good enough..

1 hour ago, MGPensioner said:

No need to worry... there won't be any more this window and the next window will probably be Dunny's unless TM gets a tune out of his new recruits.

Give it rest pal..

You said we would only make 6 signings. We made 9 signings so far. 

You said 2 key players would be sold. So far nobody has. 

You said Elton John Concert wouldnt happen but it deffo did. 

Cat 1 status isn't a marker for the quality of player we have, it's a marker for the quality of coaching, infrastructure and facilities we have. I don't subscribe to the argument of throwing kids in to test if they are good enough. These young players have a carefully mapped out trajectory and should play when they're ready, not thrown in on a whim to test them, if it goes wrong and they're not up to it that could ruin their career. Henley being a classic example, he was thrown in when he clearly wasn't ready and is now on the scrap heap to a degree. 

Roberts is definitely leaving City.

4 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

I'm starting to think that Mowbray is losing the plot. Why oh why would we go for another midfielder right now - especially an unproven (even if he could come good) - much less broadcast (to existing club youngsters) that we have missed out.

We are crying out for a defender due to how flakey and vulnerable we are at the back, and cover at the front must be ahead of midfield surely.

The Ewood 'jury' may well be listening to closing arguments and think the case for the defence [of Mowbray] is looking as weak as the one on the field.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Cat 1 status isn't a marker for the quality of player we have, it's a marker for the quality of coaching, infrastructure and facilities we have. I don't subscribe to the argument of throwing kids in to test if they are good enough. These young players have a carefully mapped out trajectory and should play when they're ready, not thrown in on a whim to test them, if it goes wrong and they're not up to it that could ruin their career. Henley being a classic example, he was thrown in when he clearly wasn't ready and is now on the scrap heap to a degree. 

Henley had some good and bad games but got worst as time went on. Plus too many injuries. 

I thought Doyle and Tomlinson should have got their chances last season to be back up players instead of us signing Hendrie and Byrne on loan who were very poor for us and barely played

We want to build a promotion team there's no room for being kind to kids whether they are ours or someone else's. First team should be the best 11 for the job and system employed so if there is a lad good enough then he should be in but please forget all this experimenting to see if they might be good enough because people championing this will be the first to moan when it's affecting the team.

Yes it's daft trying to fill out the squad with untested loans from other clubs and there should be a few young guns on the bench always instead of someone else's, that's the correct way to blood them unless there is an exceptional talent or temporary injury crisis.

Apart from that dispense with sentiment unless your only bothered about having a mid table league 1 outfit treading water and blooding it's own youth, no doubt we'll come to that stage soon enough in coming seasons.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

One conspiracy theory was that the venkys wanted relegation from the premiership for various reasons. I mean of course that made sense. Why would they want all that lovely tv money? Much easier to scam peanuts down here in league 1

Dont blame evil planning when simple stupidity and ineptitude are the venkys modus aparandi when it comes to running a football club 

Have to laugh at that, if Venkies had planned to have us relegated from the Prem then we would no doubt still be in it.  Love the 2nd paragraph.

1 hour ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I'm afraid Cat 1 is a big marker for the quality of player it's the highest level available to young players to play at outside of men's football so attracts players

when a young player leaves a United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc which most do they will look to be involved in the game at the highest level possible this is why the players rovers have picked up from the local big clubs end up here

i know for a fact Rankin-Costello Butterworth and Lewis Thompson came to Rovers after leaving United as the club had a Cat 1 academy and it's important for these players to be tested at the highest level possible

its no coincidence that the clubs that make it into the last eight of the FAY cup are 90% of the time Cat 1 clubs that is down to players and competition for places not coaches and facilities 

Archived