BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Stuart said:

I'm starting to think that Mowbray is losing the plot. Why oh why would we go for another midfielder right now - especially an unproven (even if he could come good) - much less broadcast (to existing club youngsters) that we have missed out.

We are crying out for a defender due to how flakey and vulnerable we are at the back, and cover at the front must be ahead of midfield surely.

The Ewood 'jury' may well be listening to closing arguments and think the case for the defence [of Mowbray] is looking as weak as the one on the field.

Agree . Our recruitment also lacks any imagination whatsoever. They either played for one of Mowbray former clubs - or scored against Coventry when he was Manger there. Won't be long before we are down to meeting them in Tesco.

who or what is our scouting system? 

The squad as it stands looks badly balanced, the transfers have gone very quiet, now loans are becoming " difficult" and " not signing players just for the sake of it".Well you have done up to now Tony!

10 days or so till window closes, minimal incoming action now likely- one or two exits and we will have been well and truly hoodwinked again.Which plan have the owners backed you with , Mowbray?? Just tell me again please. Second thoughts don't bother that clown in the LT will be running the story another dozen times.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Agree . Our recruitment also lacks any imagination whatsoever. They either played for one of Mowbray former clubs - or scored against Coventry when he was Manger there. Won't be long before we are down to meeting them in Tesco.

The squad as it stands looks badly balanced, the transfers have gone very quiet, now loans are becoming " difficult" and " not signing players just for the sake of it".Well you have done up to now Tony!

10 days or so till window closes, minimal incoming action now likely- one or two exits and we will have been well and truly hoodwinked again.Which plan have the owners backed you with , Mowbray?? Just tell me again please. Second thoughts don't bother that clown in the LT will be running the story another dozen times.

In fairness, Bowyer's policy was also 'who played well against us in youth/reserve games?'

Think the only exception was Gestede.

Just now, Mike E said:

In fairness, Bowyer's policy was also 'who played well against us in youth/reserve games?'

Think the only exception was Gestede.

Let's not bring comparisons to Bowyer into this. It'll just make Mowbray look worse.

Many decades ago, Ian "Windy" Miller had a storming game for Swindon against us - took our left flank apart. A short while later, Rovers signed him.  It's not unusual. 

Agree that Bowyer's contacts book doesn't extend beyond one page. But that's not unusual either for a failed manager. 

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Many decades ago, Ian "Windy" Miller had a storming game for Swindon against us - took our left flank apart. A short while later, Rovers signed him.  It's not unusual. 

Agree that Bowyer's contacts book doesn't extend beyond one page. But that's not unusual either for a failed manager. 

Mowbray contact book looks less than Bowyers- are you putting Mowbray in the failed Manager bracket?

Amazing really, people had him down in March as keeping us up, a straight talking messiah, at last a manager who is down to earth and speaks sense.

5 months later.  We have been relegated , sit in the bottom 3 of league one without a point, and he is looking tactically at sea, can't sign anyone other than average CM's. ...... it really is Basket Case FC.

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It was a bloody good page though, financially.

Failed manager. LOL. Above us in the league now. Didn't take long.

#bringbackbowyer

Just hope he isn't yet another who's getting his mates guys onto the books before he gets his inevitable pay off, most do it to a certain degree but at Rovers it's become routine.  To me that's why we never get a settled spine of team in place because the mantra seems to be get this player and that player in for the sake of it rather that to fill a certain position and role.

Why get in Whittingham and Dack then scatter them about, sign an unfit right back who Bury didn't want then throw him in at wingback ?  Why keep scratching around for more midfielders ? 

Something remains very wrong in terms of the recruitment at Ewood.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

It was a bloody good page though, financially.

Failed manager. LOL. Above us in the league now. Didn't take long.

#bringbackbowyer

Financially means nothing to us at the min never seen a penny of them sales of super bowyer. More money in venky pot what a hero. He should of scouted not managed. With his team that he scouted and a actual manager venkys pot would be a hole lot bigger. But then they would have to invest some of that money back into the club.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Did we not sign somebody from Huddersfield who had a good game against us when Dalglish was manager .

On 8/19/2017 at 08:36, TBTF said:

If they are good signings, why does it matter? In fact I think signing players you know or have seen play against you first hand ,is a pretty solid strategy. Would you prefer if he just signed players from videos who he hasn't seen first hand before? Because that always works out great :rolleyes:

Some fans will moan about anything. 

On 8/19/2017 at 09:20, tomphil said:

Just hope he isn't yet another who's getting his mates guys onto the books before he gets his inevitable pay off, most do it to a certain degree but at Rovers it's become routine.  To me that's why we never get a settled spine of team in place because the mantra seems to be get this player and that player in for the sake of it rather that to fill a certain position and role.

Why get in Whittingham and Dack then scatter them about, sign an unfit right back who Bury didn't want then throw him in at wingback ?  Why keep scratching around for more midfielders ? 

Something remains very wrong in terms of the recruitment at Ewood.

Completely disagree with a lot of this. We lost nearly 2 midfield worth of players at the end of last season. I would say our midfield is considerably better than last year in the Championship. They will only get better as time goes on. Mowbray filled most positions that needed filling. Apart from a centre half, but there is time to do that still.

What do you mean "scatter them about"?  

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This thread's died on its arse!  Still need at least a couple more.  

The season has started, so anyone arguing with each other usually does it in the match thread, hence the quietness in here I'd say.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Completely disagree with a lot of this. We lost nearly 2 midfield worth of players at the end of last season. I would say our midfield is considerably better than last year in the Championship. They will only get better as time goes on. Mowbray filled most positions that needed filling. Apart from a centre half, but there is time to do that still.

What do you mean "scatter them about"?  

Just for once at Rovers under this ownership I want to see a manager who when being able to bring players in actually creates a decent spine of a team then builds from there.

There has been a common theme of just bringing in players rather than building blocks around the team so i'm just hoping this time will turn out different. Easy to pop up now and try and have a go at people after ONE win but this time last week things looked a lot different and on the showing of that Doncaster match we saw another manager giving his team the square peg for round holes treatment with a formation that looked just set up to accommodate.

Things have turned for the better now and hopefully he's learned what is best team will be, I still see Whittingham as a bit of a pointless signing if Evans is staying as surely the best way to go is Smallwood and Evans first choice.  I still have faith I just want to see anymore recruitment going in the areas that need it not just bodies through the door who've former links with the manager or just dumped in here by certain recurring agents.

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Just for once at Rovers under this ownership I want to see a manager who when being able to bring players in actually creates a decent spine of a team then builds from there.

There has been a common theme of just bringing in players rather than building blocks around the team so i'm just hoping this time will turn out different. Easy to pop up now and try and have a go at people after ONE win but this time last week things looked a lot different and on the showing of that Doncaster match we saw another manager giving his team the square peg for round holes treatment with a formation that looked just set up to accommodate.

Things have turned for the better now and hopefully he's learned what is best team will be, I still see Whittingham as a bit of a pointless signing if Evans is staying as surely the best way to go is Smallwood and Evans first choice.  I still have faith I just want to see anymore recruitment going in the areas that need it not just bodies through the door who've former links with the manager or just dumped in here by certain recurring agents.

If he wasn't here people would be saying we didn't have strength in depth. How is a player of his quality and experience "pointless"? 

I think Mowbray is recruiting well to be honest. Very happy with the signings this summer. Now whether he can get them playing consistently to their ability is a different question. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he wasn't here people would be saying we didn't have strength in depth. How is a player of his quality and experience "pointless"? 

I think Mowbray is recruiting well to be honest. Very happy with the signings this summer. Now whether he can get them playing consistently to their ability is a different question. 

Come on you could say the same of any number of signings in recent years i'm just questioning the thinking behind it when maybe those wages could have been directed into a more useful direction. He can have all the quality and experience in the world but if his legs have gone and his heart isn't in it then it's pointless.

I do however get your point about the more quality players in the squad the better but we are crying out for balance around the team imo.

Anyway only time will tell and he might turn out to be a useful bit part player I just don't want to see formations constructed to try and shoe horn him in from the start. I still think there's a small chance we'll lose Evans so maybe there'll be a role for him yet.

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Come on you could say the same of any number of signings in recent years i'm just questioning the thinking behind it when maybe those wages could have been directed into a more useful direction. He can have all the quality and experience in the world but if his legs have gone and his heart isn't in it then it's pointless.

I do however get your point about the more quality players in the squad the better but we are crying out for balance around the team imo.

Anyway only time will tell and he might turn out to be a useful bit part player I just don't want to see formations constructed to try and shoe horn him in from the start. I still think there's a small chance we'll lose Evans so maybe there'll be a role for him yet.

Hopefully not. I think Evans can be the best midfielder in the league if he stays fit. 

Think Mowbray's recruitment has been as good as we could hsve hoped for given our circumstances.

Unfortunately, I think Mulgrew is our most vulnerable asset.  I really would be surprised if he's still with us come September.

Archived