BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray's recruitment has been as good as we could hsve hoped for given our circumstances.

Unfortunately, I think Mulgrew is our most vulnerable asset.  I really would be surprised if he's still with us come September.

U said the same thing about Mulgrew before the Doncaster game and 2 weeks later still here..

Mowbray has been clear no leaving unless he said so. 

Only expect Feeney to leave before September

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

U said the same thing about Mulgrew before the Doncaster game and 2 weeks later still here..

Only expect Feeney to leave before September

Understand Mulgrew was watched by two Championship clubs on Saturday - just a coincidence that his performance was markedly better than in our opening calamitous games?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hope I'm wrong but I said he was a " Season Too Far " player when we signed him.

Interesting that in his post match interview (Bradford)Mowbray mentioned new players needing time to settle in.  He specifically mentioned Whittingham (uprooting family/finding sonewhere to live etc). He will have been settled at Cardiff having spent the majority of career there. 

When he came on on Saturday, his first touch was pinging a 30 yard volley over to our winger.  It was an absolute peach of a ball.  

Happy to give hin more time to be honest.  Legs don't normally go till 35/36.  He's only just gone 33.  Time yet

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Interesting that in his post match interview (Bradford)Mowbray mentioned new players needing time to settle in.  He specifically mentioned Whittingham (uprooting family/finding sonewhere to live etc). He will have been settled at Cardiff having spent the majority of career there. 

When he came on on Saturday, his first touch was pinging a 30 yard volley over to our winger.  It was an absolute peach of a ball.  

Happy to give hin more time to be honest.  Legs don't normally go till 35/36.  He's only just gone 33.  Time yet

That was the pass of the season so far and a glimpse of what he is capable of.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You laud the fact that Mulgrew is still here 2 weeks later as evidence he is going nowhere.

One (me) could just as easily say all our bigger outgoings happen at the tail-end of transfer windows in order to maximise income from the sale.

It's a bit early for either side of the coin to be puffing out chests and leading the trumpets in celebration.

We shall see in good time which is correct. The only time that is relevant is when the window slams (why does it always slam, and who is slamming it?) shut.

49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Understand Mulgrew was watched by two Championship clubs on Saturday - just a coincidence that his performance was markedly better than in our opening calamitous games?

For the record, he scored a beauty against Southend. I think it's unfair to single him out when the entire team was poor in the first two matches. Something else has been amiss with the team, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that Mulgrew doesn't bother putting a shift in unless a scout is watching him.

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

For the record, he scored a beauty against Southend. I think it's unfair to single him out when the entire team was poor in the first two matches. Something else has been amiss with the team, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that Mulgrew doesn't bother putting a shift in unless a scout is watching him.

I am a huge Mulgrew fan - wish we had 10 others of his ilk and did not say he doesn't bother putting in a shift.  Yes we were collectively poor in our first two league games and a factor.  The point I was trying to make is that some players on occasions, whether it be a 'big game', game against an old club, being scouted etc, are able to find another gear.  I wasn't at the game but I have spoken to a friend who went and he said Mulgrew was inspirational on the day, head and shoulders above the others - coincidence that he was seemingly being watched or not?  Guess we will find out soon enough.

The problem with Whittingham is where do you play him? He can't play as one of two and we (rightly) don't play with three central midfielders, so in the last couple of games he has been shunted out wide which is clearly not his position. A strange signing in my opinion.

Just now, RV Blue said:

The problem with Whittingham is where do you play him? He can't play as one of two and we (rightly) don't play with three central midfielders, so in the last couple of games he has been shunted out wide which is clearly not his position. A strange signing in my opinion.

I agree he's looked poor, but it's early in the season so let's give him some more time before we pass judgement eh? Mowbray probably wants to mix youth (Samuel, Dack...) with experience and also have options from set pieces when Mulgrew is injured. I think he'll be a good utility man for us, but so far signs are that his energy and intensity levels need to be better. Right now he's not a starter for me though...

Just now, Mercer said:

I am a huge Mulgrew fan - wish we had 10 others of his ilk and did not say he doesn't bother putting in a shift.  Yes we were collectively poor in our first two league games and a factor.  The point I was trying to make is that some players on occasions, whether it be a 'big game', game against an old club, being scouted etc, are able to find another gear.  I wasn't at the game but I have spoken to a friend who went and he said Mulgrew was inspirational on the day, head and shoulders above the others - coincidence that he was seemingly being watched or not?  Guess we will find out soon enough.

So... In one sentence, you cynically suggest it must be a "coincidence" that Mulgrew improved his performance when a scout watched him, and in the next, you suggest that the guy is an inspiration and that it's just natural for players to "find another gear" when someone is watching.

14 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

That's similar to what I was getting at earlier as assuming he was signed to fulfil a specific role then what is it ?

24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Centre midfield. The position he has played his entire career. The position he got voted in the Championship team of the decade playing. 

One of the outstanding and consistent players in The Football League over the past decade, Peter has been both a creator and scorer of goals for Cardiff City on a regular basis. With 64 assists only four players have been responsible for providing more goals over the last 10 years, while Peter is the only midfielder to have topped the Championship scoring charts in the last decade, hitting 20 goals for the Bluebirds in 2009/10. He has been named in the Championship team of the Season three times, while he also won the Mitre Goal of the Year award at the 2012 Football League Awards. 

We are 3 games into the season. The guy has just moved his family from Cardiff and is playing in a new team.

Have you ever moved jobs? I think fans sometimes forget that players are human. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Centre midfield. The position he has played his entire career. The position he got voted in the Championship team of the decade playing. 

One of the outstanding and consistent players in The Football League over the past decade, Peter has been both a creator and scorer of goals for Cardiff City on a regular basis. With 64 assists only four players have been responsible for providing more goals over the last 10 years, while Peter is the only midfielder to have topped the Championship scoring charts in the last decade, hitting 20 goals for the Bluebirds in 2009/10. He has been named in the Championship team of the Season three times, while he also won the Mitre Goal of the Year award at the 2012 Football League Awards. 

We are 3 games into the season. The guy has just moved his family from Cardiff and is playing in a new team.

He started out as a left winger.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray's recruitment has been as good as we could hsve hoped for given our circumstances.

Unfortunately, I think Mulgrew is our most vulnerable asset.  I really would be surprised if he's still with us come September.

I suppose as with Rhodes, if you wrongly predict Mulgrew's imminent departure for week after week over successive transfer windows eventually you'll be proved right!

I'm amazed Mulgrew is still here now but the only thing Id say is that if he had a better gig pending elsewhere I wouldn't have thought he would be playing and risking injury turning out  in League 1.

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

So... In one sentence, you cynically suggest it must be a "coincidence" that Mulgrew improved his performance when a scout watched him, and in the next, you suggest that the guy is an inspiration and that it's just natural for players to "find another gear" when someone is watching.

I did not suggest it 'must be a coincidence' - I asked the question was it a coincidence!

If you do not believe that on occasions players can find another gear, for any one of a possible number of reasons, then you are a bit naïve. 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm almost certain he hasn't played as one of two centre midfielders, your bold quote means absolutely nothing and doesn't answer my question. Yes he might be a talented player, that doesn't mean that he will fit into our team or be a good signing.

48 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I did not suggest it 'must be a coincidence' - I asked the question was it a coincidence!

If you do not believe that on occasions players can find another gear, for any one of a possible number of reasons, then you are a bit naïve. 

I agree. That's players today, isn't it? Heads turn to the money, and doing what they can to get it. We all do it.

I'd agree with you that I might be naive, but only if I started thinking that we're going to steamroll the league, or we're going to beat the next opponent comfortably, repeatedly every week. That would be deluded, and very naive, particularly going off recent Roving experiences.

Archived