BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I'm almost certain he hasn't played as one of two centre midfielders, your bold quote means absolutely nothing and doesn't answer my question. Yes he might be a talented player, that doesn't mean that he will fit into our team or be a good signing.

I would bet you anything that Peter Whittingham has played in a two man centre midfield during his long career. How would he not have? Now that is a ridiculous statement 

The quote shows that he has serious pedigree and you would be naive to write him off after 2 and a bit games

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I agree. That's players today, isn't it? Heads turn to the money, and doing what they can to get it. We all do it.

I'd agree with you that I might be naive, but only if I started thinking that we're going to steamroll the league, or we're going to beat the next opponent comfortably, repeatedly every week. That would be deluded, and very naive, particularly going off recent Roving experiences.

:lol:

You two need to get together over a nice bottle of red.

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would bet you anything that Peter Whittingham has played in a two man centre midfield during his long career. How would he not have? Now that is a ridiculous statement 

The quote shows that he has serious pedigree and you would be naive to write him off after 2 and a bit games

Don't be obtuse, I obviously meant regularly... when it was announced he was coming here Cardiff fans said that he can't play in a 2. Like I said, his pedigree is irrelevant if he doesn't fit in. Where would you suggest we play him? In Dack's position? On the wing? If Mowbray sticks to the two main formations that he has used (4-4-1-1 & 3-4-2-1), and there is nothing to suggest he won't, Whittingham looks like a pointless and expensive signing.

5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Don't be obtuse, I obviously meant regularly... when it was announced he was coming here Cardiff fans said that he can't play in a 2. Like I said, his pedigree is irrelevant if he doesn't fit in. Where would you suggest we play him? In Dack's position? On the wing? If Mowbray sticks to the two main formations that he has used (4-4-1-1 & 3-4-2-1), and there is nothing to suggest he won't, Whittingham looks like a pointless and expensive signing.

Well then say regularly :rolleyes:

He can play instead of Evans. He could play left of the 3 behind the striker. He could play centrally behind the striker. 

How is having a good player pointless?? What you mean "expensive"? We got him on a free 

I'm lost :huh: 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well then say regularly :rolleyes:

He can play instead of Evans. He could play left of the 3 behind the striker. He could play centrally behind the striker. 

How is having a good player pointless?? What you mean "expensive"? We got him on a free 

I'm lost :huh: 

Whittingham will be the highest paid player at the club (maybe bar Graham), he will have had a tasty signing on fee, he's on a two year contract, there is a reason that he dropped down a division, and it wasn't because he loves Blackburn Rovers. I take it that you don't think that Danny Murphy was an expensive signing? Or Etuhu?

As far as I'm concerned, with the wages that Whittingham is on, he should starting week in, week out, I really can't see that happening. The money could have been better spent somewhere else, imo.

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If they are good signings, why does it matter? In fact I think signing players you know or have seen play against you first hand ,is a pretty solid strategy. Would you prefer if he just signed players from videos who he hasn't seen first hand before? Because that always works out great :rolleyes:

Some fans will moan about anything. 

Are they ''good ''signings though?  Time will tell but not convinced tbh. All looks a bit bang average to me

43 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Whittingham will be the highest paid player at the club (maybe bar Graham), he will have had a tasty signing on fee, he's on a two year contract, there is a reason that he dropped down a division, and it wasn't because he loves Blackburn Rovers. 

I thought Cardiff offered him a reduced contract and we offered even less but more game time.

I have no inside knowledge but thought that was how it was reported at the time.

I think PW  has work to do to get back into the team 

1 hour ago, Earlydoors said:

I thought Cardiff offered him a reduced contract and we offered even less but more game time.

I have no inside knowledge but thought that was how it was reported at the time.

I think PW  has work to do to get back into the team 

They offered him a one year deal but on a bit more each week, overall though, he will be earning more over time from us over a longer time. Playing time would probably have been factored in as well though. I'm reserving judgement at the moment as dont want to write off a player after just 3 games, and he has had a decent career and even last season had some excellent stats. Admittedly, he has not made an impact as of yet (among many others). Give him a bit more time to gel, get his family sorted and used to the system in play and hopefully we will see more. Not going to start labeling him as Murphy mkII just yet.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Whittingham will be the highest paid player at the club (maybe bar Graham), he will have had a tasty signing on fee, he's on a two year contract, there is a reason that he dropped down a division, and it wasn't because he loves Blackburn Rovers. I take it that you don't think that Danny Murphy was an expensive signing? Or Etuhu?

As far as I'm concerned, with the wages that Whittingham is on, he should starting week in, week out, I really can't see that happening. The money could have been better spent somewhere else, imo.

What does this have to do with Murphy and Etuhu? Of course I think they were expensive wastes of money. 

20 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

you guys are not debating expense.... value for money

Murphy and Etuhu were a waste of money

wonder how many match day tickets paid for by the working man these two combined cost ?

If Murphy was on 35k a week, that would be the same as 6,618 season tickets at £275 each. 

I bet Etuhu wasn't on much less than that. Sickening sport at times.

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What does this have to do with Murphy and Etuhu? Of course I think they were expensive wastes of money. 

Are you for real? You said "What you mean "expensive"? We got him on a free." Murphy was free, Whittingham was free, free transfers can still be expensive wastes of money. I can't tell if you are being a WUM or not...?

9 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Are you for real? You said "What you mean "expensive"? We got him on a free." Murphy was free, Whittingham was free, free transfers can still be expensive wastes of money. I can't tell if you are being a WUM or not...?

I will say this slowly. You can't compare Whittingham and Murphy after Whittingham has played 2 games. Do you understand?

I saw some fans, not sure if you were one, but it sounds like you could have been, comparing them before Whittingham had even played. Both were free  both play centre midfield and both are...... Humans! They are identical! 

It's a completely black and white over simplistic way of looking at things. 

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I will say this slowly. You can't compare Whittingham and Murphy after Whittingham has played 2 games. Do you understand?

I saw some fans, not sure if you were one, but it sounds like you could have been, comparing them before Whittingham had even played. Both were free  both play centre midfield and both are...... Humans! They are identical! 

It's a completely black and white over simplistic way of looking at things. 

You are completely missing the point, intentionally or unintentionally, I don't know. Just because we signed Whittingham on a free doesn't mean that he can't be an expensive waste of money, Danny Murphy is a classic example of such a player. No one is saying that Whittingham is Danny Murphy mk II, just that he might end up being if we can't fit him into our team. After 3 games, it is well within the fans' rights to question whether he is a good fit for us

11 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

You are completely missing the point, intentionally or unintentionally, I don't know. Just because we signed Whittingham on a free doesn't mean that he can't be an expensive waste of money, Danny Murphy is a classic example of such a player. No one is saying that Whittingham is Danny Murphy mk II, just that he might end up being if we can't fit him into our team. After 3 games, it is well within the fans' rights to question whether he is a good fit for us

No, you are missing the point. 

I think you have trauma from the Danny Murphy incident that you are transferring to a player with vague similarities, before he has been even had a chance to settle in. 

You have moved your argument from A- Whittingham cant play in a 2 man midfield to 2- he has never played in a  2 man midfield, to 3- You meant he hasn't played there regularly (which is incorrect), to 4-he is an expensive waste because he similar? to Danny Murphy.

Stop moving the goalposts. The reality is while Whittingham hasn't set the division on fire in his first 2 games in an under-performing team. To put him in the same bracket as Murphy at this point is ludicrous. 

Murphy had much more ability compared to Whittingham. Its just that he could not be arsed to play for the shirt and didnt give too hoots about Rovers. Not to mention our darling manager at that time who could not get the most out of him. I would not call Whittingham a lazy man yet. His ability is limited though atleast if you compare him to Danny Murphy.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, you are missing the point. 

I think you have trauma from the Danny Murphy incident that you are transferring to a player with vague similarities, before he has been even had a chance to settle in. 

You have moved your argument from A- Whittingham cant play in a 2 man midfield to 2- he has never played in a  2 man midfield, to 3- You meant he hasn't played there regularly (which is incorrect), to 4-he is an expensive waste because he similar? to Danny Murphy.

Stop moving the goalposts. The reality is Whittingham hasn't set the division on fire in his first 2 games in an under-performing team. To put him in the same bracket as Murphy at this point is ludicrous. 

What are you talking about? I explained my point clearly in my last post, and you chose to completely ignore it once again. It's like talking to a 3 year old. I won't repeat myself again, so this will be my last post on the matter.

Best way to describe the question marks over him are in an above post somewhere   'is he the right fit' for the systems and team in mind. So far no but that might change but we won't know if his legs have gone just yet like old Danny boys clearly had and everyone knew it before he signed except i'd say the guy himself.

Contrary to popular view Murphy did try when he first came but it became clear very quickly we'd been done over and once it dawned on him I don't think he gave a toss he just thought oh well i'll collect what's on offer.

Difference here is coco and the shadow gang insisted on starting Danny boy as often as possible probably to collect their % whereas it seems Mowbray has soon realised PW isn't quite up to it yet.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Best way to describe the question marks over him are in an above post somewhere   'is he the right fit' for the systems and team in mind. So far no but that might change but we won't know if his legs have gone just yet like old Danny boys clearly had and everyone knew it before he signed except i'd say the guy himself.

Contrary to popular view Murphy did try when he first came but it became clear very quickly we'd been done over and once it dawned on him I don't think he gave a toss he just thought oh well i'll collect what's on offer.

Difference here is coco and the shadow gang insisted on starting Danny boy as often as possible probably to collect their % whereas it seems Mowbray has soon realised PW is quite up to it yet.

Fair assessment. Although it is early days yet. 

Once players get past their early 30's they can " go " at any time. It can be an almost over night occurence. I read the autobiography of a former England international forward who was playing for Man Utd at the time. He'd been doing ok but one weekend during the game he'd not felt quite right. The following week at training he realised that suddenly he was reaching out for the ball instead of gathering it in his stride. It was all downhill after that.

Of course not every player ends up like that but it can and does happen.

Archived