BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Once players get past their early 30's they can " go " at any time. It can be an almost over night occurence. I read the autobiography of a former England international forward who was playing for Man Utd at the time. He'd been doing ok but one weekend during the game he'd not felt quite right. The following week at training he realised that suddenly he was reaching out for the ball instead of gathering it in his stride. It was all downhill after that.

Of course not every player ends up like that but it can and does happen.

I read Gary Mcallisters and it was the opposite story. He worked his Scottish ********* off though. Hopefully Whittingham is a grafter too 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Once players get past their early 30's they can " go " at any time. It can be an almost over night occurence. I read the autobiography of a former England international forward who was playing for Man Utd at the time. He'd been doing ok but one weekend during the game he'd not felt quite right. The following week at training he realised that suddenly he was reaching out for the ball instead of gathering it in his stride. It was all downhill after that.

Of course not every player ends up like that but it can and does happen.

Yet others can play on to late 30s at a high level.

Way to early to write off Whittingham.  He's only 8 months older than Conway.  I am sure Whittingham could still play out wide if neccessary. 

Kalinic has just signed for AC Milan, initially on loan, with an option to buy for £22m.

Never felt he cut it at rovers but another example of how far we have fallen under Venkys. I wonder how many of the players who have left would have thrived here under a proper coaching structure?

Just now, Trinidad Rover said:

Kalinic has just signed for AC Milan, initially on loan, with an option to buy for £22m.

Never felt he cut it at rovers but another example of how far we have fallen under Venkys. I wonder how many of the players who have left would have thrived here under a proper coaching structure?

Did we not have one when Kalinic was here? 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did we not have one when Kalinic was here? 

Arguably, yes under Allardyce. That would then be a discussion on tactical systems - not an 'Allardyce' player.

Could be wrong but I remember Kean freezing him out, even when he was pursuing his 'attractive' football system with Formica, Vuckevic et al

20 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Arguably, yes under Allardyce. That would then be a discussion on tactical systems - not an 'Allardyce' player.

Could be wrong but I remember Kean freezing him out, even when he was pursuing his 'attractive' football system with Formica, Vuckevic et al

Frozen out then sold - surprise surprise, no prizes for guessing who was behind that idea %%%%%%

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Vukčević

What a career the guy had. Only 31 now and been without a club for the last four years - lets snap him again!

Something very, very wrong with his career and his time at Rovers in particular. Clearly major issues there with his attitude or more likely the 'arrangement' with his contract.

It's just rubbing salt in the wounds really when we look at some of the players who were once plying their trade at Rovers shortly before the crooks arrived on the scene and now look at where they have ended up and the money they have gone for. We could have been the ones selling them for that cash and reinvesting the money in the Premier League but that wasn't in 'the plan'.

We couldn't wait to get people like NZonzi, Kalinic and co. out of the door and now they're joining Europes elite clubs for tens of millions. What an unmitigated disaster the last 7 years has been.

15 minutes ago, Baz said:

To be fair Kalinic was awful for us, I'm glad it's worked out for him, but I still think he isn't suited for British football.

I always liked him and thought he was really unlucky. He always seemed to squirm a shot off but hit the woodwork.  He seemed a bit lightweight for the tactics we used him for and too often had his back to goal.

I'm glad it has worked out for him too though.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

It's just rubbing salt in the wounds really when we look at some of the players who were once plying their trade at Rovers shortly before the crooks arrived on the scene and now look at where they have ended up and the money they have gone for. We could have been the ones selling them for that cash and reinvesting the money in the Premier League but that wasn't in 'the plan'.

We couldn't wait to get people like NZonzi, Kalinic and co. out of the door and now they're joining Europes elite clubs for tens of millions. What an unmitigated disaster the last 7 years has been.

If they had chosen to keep the infrastructure in place they would have a very profitable business on their hands. Rovers were second to none at buying cheap and selling high. With the valuations as they are now, even Bilaji wouldn't be able to blow all that cash on pies and golden tacky tat.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Frozen out then sold - surprise surprise, no prizes for guessing who was behind that idea %%%%%%

Funny that the player we played to the death J-Lo couldn't drum up a single cash bid while he was here and even now can't get a gig on a freebie. It's an absolute travesty that this club have made such an appalling 'player' into a millionaire.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies. 

My understanding is that Kalinic's stats didn't look good on Big Sam's Pro football analysis and he was marginalised. Not a Venky decision. 

Just saying. 

Nonetheless he was sold to the Ukraine in August 2011, some 10 months after Allardyce left the club. If Kean and his cronies had wanted to play him and build a team around him they could have done, but couldn't wait to get shut, just as with Emerton, Salgado, NZonzi and co.

Kalinic and Mame Biram Diouf linked up really well when he scored twice as we beat Brom away 3-1 under K**n, but then he got sent off and I don't think he played again.

After taking a while to settle I thought he looked like he had ability just didn't suit the target man role. Scored a belter of a disallowed goal against Spurs if I recall, a turn and volley on the edge of the area that went top corner.

I guess he was pretty young when he was here as well.

As for N'zonzi, he was class. Many, many people on here rated him and knew he would be a Champions League player one day. His composure was unreal.

Just now, davulsukur said:

According to sky sports, Lucas Joao can leave on loan. 

Not sure id bring him back but some people on here were keen.

If the option was there then yes. Still remember that 94th min equaliser against Fulham, really thought we would stay up then... The bloke will score goals with the right management!  

32 minutes ago, Tony Rover said:

If the option was there then yes. Still remember that 94th min equaliser against Fulham, really thought we would stay up then... The bloke will score goals with the right management!  

Agree but we need a central defender. "Desperatel". 

44 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

According to sky sports, Lucas Joao can leave on loan. 

Not sure id bring him back but some people on here were keen.

Before we signed the lad from Leeds I would have said yes, but we have other priorities now.

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

Funny that the player we played to the death J-Lo couldn't drum up a single cash bid while he was here and even now can't get a gig on a freebie. It's an absolute travesty that this club have made such an appalling 'player' into a millionaire.

If coco had stayed they'd have made sure they cashed in somehow or froze him out and paid him up 80% so they could get their cut ! Pity he didn't do that before he left with his pay off :lol:

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Something very, very wrong with his career and his time at Rovers in particular. Clearly major issues there with his attitude or more likely the 'arrangement' with his contract.

I read he retired an went to become a monk-serious.

Archived