BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Irishrover213 said:

Very strange if true I think many Wednesday fans may have lost time for him when he opted out of penos against Huddersfield. Boro chased him for nearly two windows then dumped him once they hit premier league 

I think they'd decided to dump him before they got promoted. Can you see him playing on his own up front in the Premier League ?

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think they'd decided to dump him before they got promoted. Can you see him playing on his own up front in the Premier League ?

Maybe so. I remember in boros season in championship they dropped him for last 2 or 3 games.

No I couldn't he'd need a very good midfield and a strong attacking partner. 

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Let's be fair, the Rhodes we had wouldn't have turned a penalty down in a penalty shootout. He was our penalty taker whilst he was here, and despite his limitations he was brilliant for us and a great professional as well. Think he's clearly lost a lot of confidence since going too Boro and then Wednesday and I hope he can get back in the goals again because I'd honestly like too see him get into the Prem and do well. He's not played enough Premier league football to be written off in that league, I think if he got his confidence back and was playing week in week out in the Prem he'd score goals, despite his limations if the ball falls too him in the box there's only one place it's going. 

Boro was clearly painted as a bed of roses in 2015 and I remember him stating he was disappointed he wasn't allowed to talk to them. 

You are right he was an excellent player for us during his time here. I'd nearly got as far as saying his confidence went when lambert took over as he never adjusted to the system lambert wanted him to play 

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Nail on head.

A very lucky lad who has amassed such riches on a very, very limited ability.

Except the uncanny ability to put the ball in the back of the net. :rolleyes: 

Lowe is the one deserving of that description.

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Except the uncanny ability to put the ball in the back of the net. :rolleyes: 

Lowe is the one deserving of that description.

Well he hasn't really repeated that form at either M'boro or the Owls.

In cricketing parlance, a flat track bully who can't produce when it really matters eg opting out of taking penalties in the play off final.

IMV, he's a lad who lacks bottle and character and I think his career will nosedive now.

Just now, Mercer said:

In cricketing parlance, a flat track bully who can't produce when it really matters eg opting out of taking penalties in the play off final.

IMV, he's a lad who lacks bottle and character and I think his career will nosedive now.

Jesus get off the fence why don't ya :lol:

27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I can't argue with him not taking a penalty - I was a disappointed as anyone - but his confidence is clearly shot to @#/?.

He needs to get back to a Championship or League One club and get his form and live of the game back.

The trouble is that we put a massive albatross around his neck with his wages so he will probably sit out a contract now.

Given the choice between Lowe and Rhodes, I know who I would have back.

But even ignoring that, what he did for Rovers was to keep us up virtually single-handedly. The least Rovers fans could do is show a bit of old fashioned respect. He was a model professional and did what goal scorers get paid for.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I can't argue with him not taking a penalty - I was a disappointed as anyone - but his confidence is clearly shot to @#/?.

He needs to get back to a Championship or League One club and get his form and live of the game back.

The trouble is that we put a massive albatross around his neck with his wages so he will probably sit out a contract now.

Given the choice between Lowe and Rhodes, I know who I would have back.

But even ignoring that, what he did for Rovers was to keep us up virtually single-handedly. The least Rovers fans could do is show a bit of old fashioned respect. He was a model professional and did what goal scorers get paid for.

" we put a massive albatross around his neck with his wages " !  I take it he didn't have anything to do with the wages then.

You're welcome to come and put a similar albatross around my neck anytime you feel like it !

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" we put a massive albatross around his neck with his wages " !  I take it he didn't have anything to do with the wages then.

You're welcome to come and put a similar albatross around my neck anytime you feel like it !

We were stupid enough to pay him.

But it will limit his options now. Footballers and their agents are very short term thinkers. Well, those who actually think!

28 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Seems to me that Rhodes has been one of those players who has no clear attributes like being able to hold the ball up, yet he has a knack of scoring shed loads of goals in certain set ups.

Not sure what this has to do with transfers, but hell, lwt's get him back on loan if Boro pay half or 70% of his wages.

Rhodes had Rudy, Cairney, King, etc....creating chances.  He would be useless in this team.

Crying out for a decent centre half

22 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Good, keep him as far away from here as possible!

Lowe is better than Smallwood. Lads committed but is a help it on merchant. Lowe is by no means the best footballer in the world, but he will be playing at a higher standard than us.

Those that despise Lowe are now singing about a watered down version of him in Smallwood, strange. 

12 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Lowe is better than Smallwood. Lads committed but is a help it on merchant. Lowe is by no means the best footballer in the world, but he will be playing at a higher standard than us.

Those that despise Lowe are now singing about a watered down version of him in Smallwood, strange. 

I can't see that myself.  In his reward games so far Smallwood has shown that he can do the basics better than Lowe. He tackles, works harder and closes down better than Lowe. History cannot  be rewritten because Lowe has moved on. 

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Rhodes had Rudy, Cairney, King, etc....creating chances.  He would be useless in this team.

Crying out for a decent centre half

And a left back. Williams is not good enough. I understand that he played LCB in Bristol City's L1 triumph a few years ago , yet Mowbray doesn't even play him there when he plays his beloved 3 at the back

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

And a left back. Williams is not good enough. I understand that he played LCB in Bristol City's L1 triumph a few years ago , yet Mowbray doesn't even play him there when he plays his beloved 3 at the back

So do you want him to play or not? 

49 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Agree. Williams is shocking at LB or WB as he's technically inept. His best attribute is his attitude, fighting spirit and he's ok at heading, so perhaps CB would be his best position.

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I can't see that myself.  In his reward games so far Smallwood has shown that he can do the basics better than Lowe. He tackles, works harder and closes down better than Lowe. History cannot  be rewritten because Lowe has moved on. 

Lowe is better on the ball for me. (Neither are great).

No coincidence that Championship clubs are looking at him and where he will likely end up.

I by no means rate Lowe, but let's not sugar coat it. Smallwood is poor on the ball, chest and hook over his shoulder a few times a game.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lowe is awful player. Smallwood has made more tackles this season already than Lowe did in the whole of last season.

That's obviously not true and i am led to believe that Smallwood wins the ball back less than Lowe did according to the stats at Brockhall.

1 hour ago, Speedie Dived said:

That's obviously not true and i am led to believe that Smallwood wins the ball back less than Lowe did according to the stats at Brockhall.

Impossible. You can't win the ball back a minus number of times.

Archived