BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, Speedie Dived said:

That's obviously not true and i am led to believe that Smallwood wins the ball back less than Lowe did according to the stats at Brockhall.

First time I saw Lowe play I was shaking my head. Evaluating what he could do I came to the conclusion that he was ok at running around to no great purpose. His short passing was unimaginative, his long passing was more or less non existent, he wasn't very good in the air given his lack of stature, he lacked dribbling ability ( close control, change of pace in possession etc ) , average tackling ability 1 on 1 but he had a tendency to be drawn to the ball and therefore was easily bypassed in heavy traffic. Have I missed anything out ?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So do you want him to play or not? 

No, as we need to play 4 at the back and he's not good enough at LB or in a central 2. Just find it strange Mowbray didn't utilise him at LCB when we've played 3 at the back. Play 4 at the back and give Doyle a crack on Saturday. He can't do any worse, surely.

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

First time I saw Lowe play I was shaking my head. Evaluating what he could do I came to the conclusion that he was ok at running around to no great purpose. His short passing was unimaginative, his long passing was more or less non existent, he wasn't very good in the air given his lack of stature, he lacked dribbling ability ( close control, change of pace in possession etc ) , average tackling ability 1 on 1 but he had a tendency to be drawn to the ball and therefore was easily bypassed in heavy traffic. Have I missed anything out ?

He's a coward and will do anything to avoid getting the ball passed to him.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bit unfair with the 'average tackling' comment.

No way was he that good.

3 hours ago, Giant said:

Lowe's best position was right back, he should have been coached to play there full time. 

I never actually thought he was a good right back just an obvious player from a different position doing an admirable job of filling in there. However as you say had he been coached to play there from the right age he could probably have made an average championship right back.

Someone in the champ will sign him if he gets sensible with his wage demands or his agent pulls a blinder with an agent friendly manager like the one at Brum because he is on paper an experienced Championship player with probably 100 games there and a few in the Prem plus an England U21 pedigree. A very handy squad man to have around on the right wages but as we know it's easy to get stung in football if you don't have wise people or trustworthy people signing these things off.

Someone always falls for the on paper stats.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Can't shoot to save his life

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Can't shoot to save his life

In 172 appearances for Rovers, in the 'all action' midfield role, he scored 1 solitary goal. Now take the time to consider who the goalkeeper was that day that he scored against.

He offered as much to the team as my stapler.

Glad he's gone.

I still cannot believe we have not been linked with a defender. We need a left back, a centre back and a right back. Building a base comes from the bottom; you could have the fanciest structure in the world but it will still fall if the foundations aren't up to spec.

We have a good gk. We have a class centre half. Fill the other 3 @#/? roles Tony or you are pissing in the wind..

TM says we've had a couple of bids turned down for a player, presumably a defender. We desperately need two defenders; a solid centre back and a versatile defender who can play centre back and cover at LB too. Ideally we'd move Ward on and free up some wages to get a third defender in but I can't see that happening. 

I would still expect us to sign that West Brom midfielder. Sounded like it was a done deal until West Brom decided they needed CM cover. I expect them to sign CM reinforcements which will free him up to move to us.

We still lack pace going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feeney leave and a replacement for him brought in. So that's potentially 4 new players. TM has said he's looking at players "all over the pitch".

6 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

TM says we've had a couple of bids turned down for a player, presumably a defender. We desperately need two defenders; a solid centre back and a versatile defender who can play centre back and cover at LB too. Ideally we'd move Ward on and free up some wages to get a third defender in but I can't see that happening. 

I would still expect us to sign that West Brom midfielder. Sounded like it was a done deal until West Brom decided they needed CM cover. I expect them to sign CM reinforcements which will free him up to move to us.

We still lack pace going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feeney leave and a replacement for him brought in. So that's potentially 4 new players. TM has said he's looking at players "all over the pitch".

We have young players. Tomlinson is good enough. Why are we getting some 17 year lad from West Brom when we have our own player in the academy? Rankin-Costello is highly rated - give him a chance!

We need to spend money on an established player and then, late in the window, take a look at what becomes available loan wise and move for them. It seems pointless tailing a young midfielder from West Brom when other areas need addressing and we already have cover there.

Mowbray's transfer window is quickly going from brilliant to mediocre. Once again another great start by us only to let it all crumble in the weeks leading to it closing.

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We have young players. Tomlinson is good enough. Why are we getting some 17 year lad from West Brom when we have our own player in the academy? Rankin-Costello is highly rated - give him a chance!

We need to spend money on an established player and then, late in the window, take a look at what becomes available loan wise and move for them. It seems pointless tailing a young midfielder from West Brom when other areas need addressing and we already have cover there.

Mowbray's transfer window is quickly going from brilliant to mediocre. Once again another great start by us only to let it all crumble in the weeks leading to it closing.

I think the money involved in football today means it gets tougher and tougher to give young players a chance. You'd have to trust the managers view that Tomlinson and Rankin-Costello aren't quite ready yet as he sees them in training and in youth games. If this West Brom lad is being given his prem debut at 17 then he's clearly very talented. Pulls knows his stuff so that would suggest he would be a good signing. We do need cover in CM - Evans is injury prone and Whittingham looks off the pace so far (although I think his quality will tell eventually).

No doubt that defenders are desperately needed but it sounds as though TM recognises this and is actively trying to address it. Personally feel it's been our best window for many years. Better squad than last season and all you can hope for from a window is that you're stronger than you were before the window. For the first time in many years, I'd say we've got stronger rather than weaker. 

Just now, rovers11 said:

Not many centre halves are much use at fullback. That's why Williams is struggling out there.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

More money bids. Interesting 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I still cannot believe we have not been linked with a defender. We need a left back, a centre back and a right back. Building a base comes from the bottom; you could have the fanciest structure in the world but it will still fall if the foundations aren't up to spec.

We have a good gk. We have a class centre half. Fill the other 3 @#/? roles Tony or you are pissing in the wind..

Amen. In reality I reckon we'll be lucky to get 1 CB in, and I bet he won't be the tough son of a gun, who we need.

2 hours ago, Doaksie said:

In 172 appearances for Rovers, in the 'all action' midfield role, he scored 1 solitary goal. Now take the time to consider who the goalkeeper was that day that he scored against.

Never thought about that before - that explains it!

hi everybody

I think we need 4/5 more players to carry us through the season, centreback, utility defender, midfielder or 2 we cannt expect richie and cory to be the engine room of our team all season and a striker. Leeds just released a good midfielder so on a free T Diagouraga ex Brentford seen him a few times and a good acquisition he would make, weve got to put some real effort in here as we want out of bthis division. Got a good 1st eleven but squad is too thin for a full campaign. thoughts please

Archived