BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some Rovers fans in Blackburn End today saying its Danny Graham leaving. Off to Preston. With Paul Gallagher coming to us. 

Not sure how true this is

Sorry, that was me and I was high on drugs.

Just now, philipl said:

I don't care that much provided Mulgrew and Lenihan stay.

Yeah I think we've shown we can get along without Danny Graham's contribution. Charlie is another story. He could be our talisman like Tony Field was the first time we were at this level. He can worry teams just by being out there.

I would be disappointed to see Danny Graham go. He's had a poor start but he has a lot of quality. It looks as though it might well be him who is the player is leaving though, TM hasn't used him at all recently which suggests something is up.

A Gallagher/Graham swap? Not for me. We need a goal scorer, Gallagher is more of a creator than a goal scorer. 

His current form deserves a chance in the first team from the bench. If he can't do it, then no biggy, but at least reward good u23s performances. Then we might get a few more putting in performances worthy of a chance in the first team and we may not need to splash cash on other people's league 1 players when we have our own.

5 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Like Graham, but Gallagher would be excellent for us. The creative midfielder that we require.

I know that we had a bid knocked back for a centre half from Oxford, got nowhere near their valuation.

A good centre half is what we want ,,,,...

25 minutes ago, West Yorks Rover said:

I see Joe Nuttall scored again, last minute winner too, I think ?

The lad's prolific !

Lets hope he can step up sometime this season his past record is not good but hopefully he is grasping this chance with both hands.

15 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Like Graham, but Gallagher would be excellent for us. The creative midfielder that we require.

I know that we had a bid knocked back for a centre half from Oxford, got nowhere near their valuation.

Who's the Oxford lad? Are we going back in?

Agree on Gally. We looked lacking in creative areas today and he would certainly add some quality.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who's the Oxford lad? Are we going back in?

Agree on Gally. We looked lacking in creative areas today and he would certainly add some quality.

I wasn't paying full attention to the guy i was speaking to, but had a look on the net and Curtis Nelson's name rang a bell. He is highly rated by Oxford.

The Gallagher Graham swap is hopefully rubbish, although Gallagher is a very good player at this level we already have players in his position, whereas Graham is our only proven goalscorer long term and one of only 2 good strikers we have.

Need to be working with 2 from 3 of Evans, Smallwood and Whittingham in the middle (the first 2 at the moment), 2 from Bennett, Conway and Chapman wide and 2 from Samuel, Graham and Dack up top (or in behind).

Some disjointed thoughts:

1) It was reported when we were relegated and the place was crawling with highly expensive accountants that the pressure from Pune was to get the high paid players out of the club. I suspect that we are seeing a situation with Danny Graham that is engineered to get him out for completely non-football reasons.

2) If there are any incomings, I'd like to see defence strengthened. We have at least two "glass" defenders capable of horrible mistakes at any time and a Rovers crowd notorious not only for being unforgiving but not happy unless it is on the back of a hapless player. Recipe for defenders to make mistakes, get demonised and fall to pieces. We need an extra defender please.

3) Not that fussed if Graham goes and isn't replaced- would love to see Chapman and Nuttall come through

4) Mowbray presumably bought players to fit into his exotic formations which failed so badly against Carlisle, Southend and Doncaster. Might he be looking to sign players who might still do a job in his experimental shapes or perhaps we don't now have the right squad to play 4-4-2. Is this going to prompt activity next week?

5) Finally and somewhat seditious, when we were relegated in 1971, Ken Furphy sold two of his new signings before they had kicked a ball for us. Mowbray's signings are not exactly gelling so might we see an early departure or two?  

Not sure what Mulgrew ever did to find himself at rovers. He's way to good for the championship, never mind league one. 2 goals today and another stellar performance.

Would be mind blowing if the window shuts without someone trying to take him. Its key we somehow hold onto him.

He also deserves credit to as he must know this level isn't for him, yet his attitude and performances have been top class. He certainly doesn't look like a payer trying to leave

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Gallagher Graham swap is hopefully rubbish, although Gallagher is a very good player at this level we already have players in his position, whereas Graham is our only proven goalscorer long term and one of only 2 good strikers we have.

Need to be working with 2 from 3 of Evans, Smallwood and Whittingham in the middle (the first 2 at the moment), 2 from Bennett, Conway and Chapman wide and 2 from Samuel, Graham and Dack up top (or in behind).

We don't have anyone as good as Gallagher. He ran the game at Ewood last year.

Just now, philipl said:

4) Mowbray presumably bought players to fit into his exotic formations which failed so badly against Carlisle, Southend and Doncaster. Might he be looking to sign players who might still do a job in his experimental shapes or perhaps we don't now have the right squad to play 4-4-2. Is this going to prompt activity next week?

Good point. and one I made to a mate today. He didn't sign Whittingham and Gladwin to play 4-4-2. Or Dack. I think Mowbray had a very clear idea of how he wanted to play and then quickly realised after the first two games that it left our weak defence far too exposed.

1 hour ago, Speedie Dived said:

I wasn't paying full attention to the guy i was speaking to, but had a look on the net and Curtis Nelson's name rang a bell. He is highly rated by Oxford.

do you know what we bid for him?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham is clearly out of favour at the minute. didn't even come on today at 4-1. something might have kick off behind the scenes.

need a target man type in this week if Graham leaves

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Some disjointed thoughts:

1) It was reported when we were relegated and the place was crawling with highly expensive accountants that the pressure from Pune was to get the high paid players out of the club. I suspect that we are seeing a situation with Danny Graham that is engineered to get him out for completely non-football reasons.

2) If there are any incomings, I'd like to see defence strengthened. We have at least two "glass" defenders capable of horrible mistakes at any time and a Rovers crowd notorious not only for being unforgiving but not happy unless it is on the back of a hapless player. Recipe for defenders to make mistakes, get demonised and fall to pieces. We need an extra defender please.

3) Not that fussed if Graham goes and isn't replaced- would love to see Chapman and Nuttall come through

5) Finally and somewhat seditious, when we were relegated in 1971, Ken Furphy sold two of his new signings before they had kicked a ball for us. Mowbray's signings are not exactly gelling so might we see an early departure or two?  

1. I don't think this is the case, I think maybe Mowbray thinks Graham isn't the player he was and isn't suited to what he wants

2. Agree. would like to see a centre back come in.

4. Think most of his signings can play in 4-4-2/4-4-1-1(Dack can play number 10 role)

2 hours ago, Speedie Dived said:

We don't have anyone as good as Gallagher. He ran the game at Ewood last year.

And he's a Rovers supporter, too. His blood is blue and white. Get him in.

Surely Graham would still command a fee as he's only just turned 32 and got 13 goals in the champ last season?

Preston could well be interested,  Listened to interview with their manager, this evening.  Reading apparently offered £8 mil for Jordan Hugill.  Stated he wasn't looking to sell and hoped to get somebody in as they wanted to have a Bowyeresque "Right good go" this year.

Also listened to Mowbray post match saying that it wasn't easy integrating so many new players and that some existing players had half their salary cut and were dispirited/looking to leave.

He also went on about Gladwin needing to build confidence from the bench and how good he is in training.  Sounds a bit like a Ben Marshall character (but with even poncier hair!)  

Ideally would like another permanent striker and centre back.  No problem with using u23s to plug the rest of the gaps.

This is a crucial few days for the squad. If a key player leaves without an adequate replacement, it will send the wrong signals to the team and supporters about the intent of the club in 'bouncing back' from relegation. The mental fragility of football teams is well documented, and it is a fine line between developing a confident squad that knows and works for each other, or ending up with a rag-bag of individuals doing their best to shine independently (usually in order to look good in the shop window when the inevitable fire sale takes place). I think TM has the beginnings of a decent squad mentality with the players he has assembled, but the loss of a leader like Mulgrew might well undermine confidence and wreck team spirit.

Time to gird yer loins and hope for the best by the end of Thursday (or next Saturday if you are Appy Arry).

Given the 7 years of 'feck the fanbase' played by the Venky overlords and their minions, I'm expecting another sucker punch and the LT to crawl even further up the arse of whoever is really calling the shots at the club.

Venkys out! Backwards stawt!

:brfc:

Archived