BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMV, 442 is the way you muller this league.

Forget all the other sexy rubbish that Mowbray has tried and spectacularly failed with.

All that is needed is half decent, fit, committed and well drilled players. Enough witb physical attributes to ensure we don't get kicked off the park and a fair sprinkling of experience and quality.

Mowbray is operating in a difficult market but some of his signings stink - Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin, Antonnson all look like coming up well short of what we need.

Smallwood, Chapman and Samuel look good.

Jury is out on Dack.

I think Mowbray got his strategy wrong with his sexy formations and players who he thought would suit.

We will win matches but it does feel like we need a busy and fruitful few days to finish up with a squad offering enough quality and depth to ensure we are going to be there or thereabouts come January's window when we can kick on again.

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

It'll send the usual signal, the one most fans ignore for 11 months a year. After that month they've forgotten again!

One thing's for sure, winning well yesterday without Lenihan or Graham featuring means that the departure of either will be met with: 'well we don't need them anyway'. Losing both may be a stretch but I still say that the usual folks will say that it's a positive: 'getting them off the wage bill'.

If Venkys really want to upset people they will cash in on Mulgrew while his stock is high. But then: 'he's too good for League One and probably pushed for a move - nothing Rovers could do'.

This needs to be a promotion season, we have an old school manager who supposedly knows what he is doing. If we want to keep any player who is under contract then we should be doing.

I can see Lenihan, Graham and a late departure of Mulgrew, with Gallagher in and one other loanee.

Lets hope that Chaddy is telling me off for having an agenda come 1st September. I really want to be wrong about all three but my gut tells me that we need cash in the door.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

One thing's for sure, winning well yesterday without Lenihan or Graham featuring means that the departure of either will be met with: 'well we don't need them anyway'. Losing both may be a stretch but I still say that the usual folks will say that it's a positive: 'getting them off the wage bill'.

If Venkys really want to upset people they will cash in on Mulgrew while his stock is high. But then: 'he's too good for League One and probably pushed for a move - nothing Rovers could do'.

This needs to be a promotion season, we have an old school manager who supposedly knows what he is doing. If we want to keep any player who is under contract then we should be doing.

I can see Lenihan, Graham and a late departure of Mulgrew, with Gallagher in and one other loanee.

Lets hope that Chaddy is telling me off for having an agenda come 1st September. I really want to be wrong about all three but my gut tells me that we need cash in the door.

Usually when an important/popular player leaves there is a period of 'incubation' ahead of the move where the player in question is sidelined, marginalised, absent from action and then rumours built up that the player in question doensn't want to be here, is pushing for a move, threatening harmony in the camp, we can do without him, etc. etc.

All part of a process engineered by those running by the club to offload people who might not necessarily want to leave or might be popular with the fans.

Fortunately we don't seem to have seen such a process with Mulgrew or Evans, who I think are starting to prove their quality and importance to the team, but we are seeing that with Graham and Lenihan. Selling either will be easier for the powers that be now we've won a couple without them. 

If Mowbray has decided he doesn't want/need Graham then that's up to him but the question really needs to be why we are happy to offload a player who put 13 goals away in the Championship last season, a player Mowbray selected to play at Southend and Doncaster, when we've only got 1 permanent senior striker on the books and an unknown entity on loan from Leeds.

IMO it would be extremely risky in view of a lack of goals from midfield in recent years and it would be essential to sign a further striker. However I expect the 'solution' will be to bring in Nuttall purely on the basis of a good start in the U23s and hope that one works out. Chopping/changing/experimenting won't equal promotion. Need proven quality and depth throughout. 

If we're behind in a game in November and bring Danny Graham or Antonsson off the bench the opposition will know what they're up against. They won't if we don't have any options from the bench.

Lenihan's 'injury' very convenient and suspect and if Mowbray is paving the way for his departure with these comments then I'll be very disappointed in the manager considering his repeated 'bravado' comments over the summer claiming he was going nowhere when i think he's been primed for a sale for weeks and weeks.

I am honestly gobsmacked we've still not gone in, or been linked with, another defender. I'm starting to believe Mowbray is happy with the defenders we have. In which case he's a bit of a fool, especially considering he was a defender himself.

If the rumours are true and Graham is off I can't say I'd be too displeased. I am over the moon with Dominic Samuel and would prefer to have him over Graham. However, we'd still require a back up for Samuel (not Antonsson) and this would mean a fee involved. If it's true that Gallagher is coming the other way, who is by far better than any player we currently have at the club by the way, then it would suggest we wouldn't receive much of a fee for Graham, if at all.

This would then require further funding from Venkys. Or from the Lenihan sale. As we know we already need another defender before Lenihan leaves - so the question is, will the fee for him be big enough for two defenders + one striker? I'm not talking about nothing players either, these players need to come in and make an impact.

Or, I suppose, an even bigger question is will the fee for Lenihan not have already be spent on Dack etc? The coming days are huge and we will finally get the answers on whether or not Tony truly has tamed the owners' greed.

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I am honestly gobsmacked we've still not gone in, or been linked with, another defender. I'm starting to believe Mowbray is happy with the defenders we have. In which case he's a bit of a fool, especially considering he was a defender himself.

We had a bid for a guy from Posh accepted but he went elsewhere, someone on here said we had a bid for an Oxford defender rejected and Mowbray was in the LT the other day saying he wants a defender. It's hopefully top of his list because if he doesn't get one in it could feck up the whole season.

I'd be pleased if Graham was to go as he's not what the team / club needs, though we shouldn't be trading him for another ageing, slow player. The team is crying out for energy, pace, and desire in most departments. It is  the job of Mowbray to make sure each individual, and the team as a whole is 100% fit, committed, aggressive and organised with pace and energy. As Dyche has shown that will get you to top end of the championship, never mind this awful league.

2 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

We need a striker BB ?

Cant rely on Charlie all season

Otherwise your defender needs to be a 20 goal a season un

Charlie will get 20 before Christmas. We need a grizzly fecker next to him so he doesn't have to muddy his knees. The Prince of Ewood is too good for that.

I think it's 4 in 4 for Samuel;)

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMV, 442 is the way you muller this league.

Forget all the other sexy rubbish that Mowbray has tried and spectacularly failed with.

All that is needed is half decent, fit, committed and well drilled players. Enough witb physical attributes to ensure we don't get kicked off the park and a fair sprinkling of experience and quality.

Mowbray is operating in a difficult market but some of his signings stink - Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin, Antonnson all look like coming up well short of what we need.

Smallwood, Chapman and Samuel look good.

Jury is out on Dack.

I think Mowbray got his strategy wrong with his sexy formations and players who he thought would suit.

We will win matches but it does feel like we need a busy and fruitful few days to finish up with a squad offering enough quality and depth to ensure we are going to be there or thereabouts come January's window when we can kick on again.

If you were looking to play with wing backs would you chose to go with Caddis and Williams ?   You look at what players you've got pre season, decide what strengths and weaknesses they have, then you design your system to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you were looking to play with wing backs would you chose to go with Caddis and Williams ?   You look at what players you've got pre season, decide what strengths and weaknesses they have, then you design your system to play to their strengths and minimise their weaknesses.

That's the strange thing, if he wanted to play with wingbacks why didn't he sign wingbacks? He must have thought that Williams and Caddis were good enough, which they clearly aren't.

15 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

That's the strange thing, if he wanted to play with wingbacks why didn't he sign wingbacks? He must have thought that Williams and Caddis were good enough, which they clearly aren't.

I think he wanted to play 4-2-3-1 and has had a rude awakening. He's quickly realised Whittingham just isn't up to it and that he offers no protection to our vulnerable back 4  and that the formation also offered no protection to our FB's.  Hence, Bennett and Conway playing who both work hard.

Agreed,Mowbray has had to change tack quickly,which in fairness,he has done.

So you go with the best you can get within  tried and trusted formation-always remembering that injuries and suspensions can take their toll.

Wrap the quality in cotton wool for non-essential games if a tad injury-prone aka Mulgrew,Evans and Samuels(?).

Hence Whittingham and Feeney first names on the team-sheet for the Check-a-Trade nonsense against Stoke

Order of players I'd least like to see leave.

Mulgrew (think he'll stay, seems old enough to not want the faff and is playing for the shirt, didn't look like he wanted to leave yesterday when he put us in front. Twice. Irreplaceable at this level)

Lenihan (convinced he'll leave, shame. We need another centre half to replace him, Ward worries me)

Evans (good tidy player, really rate him when he's fit. Nobody to replace him in the squad)

Graham (has looked disinterested for a while now, what's gone/going on behind the scenes we'll probably never know. I feel Samuel is our main striker now).

Feeney (Can run fast. Idiot. Be glad to see the back of him)

Think that covers it? I know QPR bid for Bennett but I don't think he's going anywhere.

If Graham is going it needs to be soon so we can get some one else in quickly. Plenty of scorers in this division if you have a bit of money to spend.

Bodin at Bristol did well last season and has already scored a few. Josh Morris too.

17 hours ago, JAL said:

Any news on the poor Antonsson going back ?

Sums up modern fans. Lads played less than 3 games for crying out loud, you and those liking the post should perhaps get a sense of perspective! 

Jal, I'm suprised you didn't make some remark on his nationality! 

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

Sums up modern fans. Lads played less than 3 games for crying out loud, you and those liking the post should perhaps get a sense of perspective! 

Jal, I'm suprised you didn't make some remark on his nationality! 

You must have missed his 'foreign wankdog' remark in the match thread;)

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Looking at Mulgrew's reaction after hus first goal, seemed a bit muted to me and his hand slaps looked like I'll see you lads to me.  He's off I think.

His reaction to the second though... (photo earlier in the thread).

Not saying he won't be on his way but that's no measure.

What I would say was interesting was that there was no real fan interaction after the goals. They ran over to the family stand area but it was very much introspective between the players. It's a job to most of this lot.

Archived