BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Pedro said:

You keep Kevin Gallacher, I have Champions League winning manager Rafa Benitez in my corner.

To be fair, you've always looked past their mistakes and goals against column and championed Hanley and Duffy a number of times.  If you like or rate them, that's absolutely fine.  I am more a Samba/Nelsen man where the opposition was much better yet their class was unquestionable.  To state that Duffy and Hanley was the best Rovers partnership 'in years' must've been an exremely small amount of years

Where has Benitez commented on the combined merits of Hanley and Duffy? Links please.

From an admittedly failing memory, I cannot recall mentioning Hanley and Duffy together before. Please prove otherwise.

I wouldn't dispute Samba and Nelsen were a top notch pair but compared to the dross we've had a centre backs since that time Hanley and Duffy were an excellent partnership. 

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but surely the clause only kicks in if they sell for a profit?

I don't believe we will get anything from the Hanley deal,when sell on clauses are inserted it usually refers to a percentage of any profit made Newcastle will be making a 2 million loss on Hanley 

I'm sure to be honest 

No I don't recall anything on that. He was dogged with injury last plus Newcastle team was very hard to get into last yr. He only played a handful of games 

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Where has Benitez commented on the combined merits of Hanley and Duffy? Links please.

From an admittedly failing memory, I cannot recall mentioning Hanley and Duffy together before. Please prove otherwise.

You have, but with the greatest of respect,  I have far better things to do than link some stranger on the internet's quotes regarding something that barely interests me, especially when you seem much more serious about it than I ever can be.

It's only a difference of opinion and I admit, he did get better in his final season when he shed some timber - please can we leave it at that now? 

Just now, Pedro said:

You have, but with the greatest of respect,  I have far better things to do than link some stranger on the internet's quotes regarding something that barely interests me, especially when you seem much more serious about it than I ever can be.

It's only a difference of opinion and I admit, he did get better in his final season when he shed some timber - please can we leave it at that now? 

I don't think I have, and with the greatest respect, you need to check your facts before making random assertions.

You have made alot of posts on a subject that "barely interests" you.

Still waiting for the Benitez quotes. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't think I have, and with the greatest respect, you need to check your facts before making random assertions.

You have made alot of posts on a subject that "barely interests" you.

Still waiting for the Benitez quotes. 

Here you go. Now stop being a pedantic pain in the arse. The Rafa comment was me trying to be light-hearted about your childish response to someone not feeling the need to trawl the internet to substantiate what is only an opinion. 

Screenshot_20170829-210148.png

Screenshot_20170829-210202.png

Screenshot_20170829-210138.png

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

I wouldn't dispute Samba and Nelsen were a top notch pair but compared to the dross we've had a centre backs since that time Hanley and Duffy were an excellent partnership. 

Most of the time they played like strangers but Lambert got a tune out of them mainly imo because he tightened midfield up a bit (Lowe was out then wasn't he ?) and tried to force the opposition to go long which suited the giant craniums of Grant and the lanky tosser.

A bit too similar those two to form a great partnership and blatantly didn't get on on the pitch it was entertainment in itself watching them closely at times.

When he's fully fit and on his game Hanley is an excellent CB at Championship level and as den says he held his own in the Premier League in his younger days. If he is to have a downfall it will be due to his erratic off pitch lifestyle.

Duffy is a poor player imo end of story.

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Stockholm Syndrome.

When Venkys go we have to believe that we will be saved. Anyone who believes it's 'Venkys or bust' is just being negative. And defeatist.

When they do go, the fans are really going to have to step up and help though. It seems as though excusing Venkys slowly killing the club is just less hassle for some fans.

How do you boil a frog?

In a nutshell! Do we prefer to die quickly or slowly?

Another way of looking at it---the sooner we die, the sooner we rise again.

Will have to be faced one day.We will never prosper under Rao's.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15502372.Tony_Mowbray_still_looking_to_add_to_his_Rovers_squad_before_the_transfer_window_closes/?ref=mac

'First I've heard of it; - ToMo on Gally deal.

Sounds like he wants Graham to stay, although he's not likely to say otherwise. Mowbray also sounds like he sees Nuttall as an option.

I'm going to guess that it's Feeney he wants shut of.

33 minutes ago, JAL said:

Any chance of a swap deal for the dummy Ryan Nyambe ?

Thankfully not now that Ryan's got a nice long contract to remain at the club for the next few years.  He has the potential to be a pretty decent right-back which should make you happy!;)

15 hours ago, Stuart said:

Your point is a very simple one, very well made.

The fact that it is necessary to state it once, let alone four times (at this point - I've not caught up yet) - let alone have to defend your position re Venkys to other Rovers fans tells its own story. Personally I find it incredible.

Our rivals from the cobbled end of the M65 absolutely love Venkys. There's a reason for that. Or maybe we need them to remind us every season?

This time next year, Rodders...

I'm not saying that we won't be better off, but the reality is that, right now, we don't have any alternatives. 

There needs to be an aspect of realism to the criticism. 

They have made a complete mess of this club. Since they have taken over they have done everything wrong. Taken us from a reasonably comfortable premier league club to a league one club, and pulled it off faster than anyone could have imagined.

They don't know what they are doing. They've taken advice from all the wrong parties. They've shown complete incompetence followed by a lack of interest.

Those are the facts and I don't think that anyone on here disagrees with them.

HOWEVER. Right now they are actually spending a lot of money relative to our current league status. It will be difficult to find a replacement where that same level of spending will be maintained.

The supporters need to be hoping for some sort of change and, personally, my hope is that we can get up straight back up to the Championship and then get a bit more interest from the kind of owners we would want. I don't think there is much chance of a change anytime soon, but that's what I'm hoping for.

That hope doesn't mean that I can't see our current situation for what it is. We are now a big fish in a very small pond being supported by our owners. They may have been the cause of our demise, but it is not Stockholm Syndrome to now realise that we are dependent on them for the time being.

They are spending money, they are keeping the club running. For now, that's more than any other potential owners are offering.

I suppose my frustration comes from the section of our supporters who no longer see supporting the club (the club, not the owners) as their priority. Their priority is to not show support for our owners. I think it is a shame. I think they run a serious risk of not having a club to go back to. I see the kind of atmosphere we were able to create against Burnley and just wish we could have that every week, as, regardless of what is going on off the pitch, that would help us on it. 

The Raos are not the personification of evil. They are just a family who had no business being involved in football. They don't understand it. I feel sorry for them in the respect that I don't think any of this was malicious, just purely incompetent and they were taken advantage of by those in the football world who saw dollar signs flashing in front of their eyes. 

Right now though, in this moment view independently from the past, they are doing their job as owners. If we were to be sold and new owners came in and did exactly what they are doing right now, we would be quite content. 

This is off topic from the transfer discussion, and I don't want to take it back into the same old debate on ownership. 

Hopefully we sign another defender. 

Your post is generally well thought out but I cannot agree about them spending money relative to our status. Since July we have lost several big earners including Steele, Lowe and Henley with a saving of around £40k a week on their wages. The number of players out is disproportionate to the numbers in so there is another saving there. And if/when we ship Lenihan out the fee will probably cover our spending on fees for incoming players. They have reputedly spent £800k on business consultants to advise what? Close down Radio Rovers, reduce the quality of the match day programme, cut the hours of the ticket office staff? Nothing has really changed in the last seven years, the mistakes are still being made but now we simply don't have the profile in the media and most of the nonsense goes under the radar.

The Raos have pretty much killed this club so from a footballing perspective they are the personification of evil to me.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm not saying that we won't be better off, but the reality is that, right now, we don't have any alternatives. 

There needs to be an aspect of realism to the criticism. 

They have made a complete mess of this club. Since they have taken over they have done everything wrong. Taken us from a reasonably comfortable premier league club to a league one club, and pulled it off faster than anyone could have imagined.

They don't know what they are doing. They've taken advice from all the wrong parties. They've shown complete incompetence followed by a lack of interest.

Those are the facts and I don't think that anyone on here disagrees with them.

HOWEVER. Right now they are actually spending a lot of money relative to our current league status. It will be difficult to find a replacement where that same level of spending will be maintained.

The supporters need to be hoping for some sort of change and, personally, my hope is that we can get up straight back up to the Championship and then get a bit more interest from the kind of owners we would want. I don't think there is much chance of a change anytime soon, but that's what I'm hoping for.

That hope doesn't mean that I can't see our current situation for what it is. We are now a big fish in a very small pond being supported by our owners. They may have been the cause of our demise, but it is not Stockholm Syndrome to now realise that we are dependent on them for the time being.

They are spending money, they are keeping the club running. For now, that's more than any other potential owners are offering.

I suppose my frustration comes from the section of our supporters who no longer see supporting the club (the club, not the owners) as their priority. Their priority is to not show support for our owners. I think it is a shame. I think they run a serious risk of not having a club to go back to. I see the kind of atmosphere we were able to create against Burnley and just wish we could have that every week, as, regardless of what is going on off the pitch, that would help us on it. 

The Raos are not the personification of evil. They are just a family who had no business being involved in football. They don't understand it. I feel sorry for them in the respect that I don't think any of this was malicious, just purely incompetent and they were taken advantage of by those in the football world who saw dollar signs flashing in front of their eyes. 

Right now though, in this moment view independently from the past, they are doing their job as owners. If we were to be sold and new owners came in and did exactly what they are doing right now, we would be quite content. 

This is off topic from the transfer discussion, and I don't want to take it back into the same old debate on ownership. 

Hopefully we sign another defender. 

They got the club for a accounting tool nothing more nothing less.. Football isn't core business in their corporation it matters not one iota to the family they just take out and keep it afloat 

The Raos have let a certain wannabe gangster member of the venky clan play with it.. He's the one whose had his fingers burnt by cleverer charlatans 

Until they decide to go or somehow the FA do something this club won't progress 

So just let's try and enjoy the social aspect and 90 minutes of football every week 

Archived