BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I said at the start of the season that keeping hold of Graham was a necessity. Whilst I am disappointed at myself for changing my tune so quick (sometimes I think Rovers are experts at almost making a player sell himself: big up, bench, attitude problems, injuries, sell) I have the defence of seeing Samuel play. I am extremely impressed with him and more than happy if he was to lead the line.

We do, however, need back up. For all the praise Nuttall has received he is still a young lad. A 'plan c'. We need someone to share the workload for Samuel and keep him competing for his starting place. As the smallest squad in the league we can't afford to be losing a player like DG if nobody is lined up to come in.

I'd first see if we can't squeeze 1m for him out of QPR. They enjoy paying a bit of money and Ian Holloway strikes me as stupid enough to pay it. Should we do that we should bump our offer to 350k for that lad Henneghan, rising to 500+ on performance based results such as promotion or play offs, and look to spend the rest on a striker. This is, of course, providing funds are already allocated for a full back. We need one of them, either on loan or permanently. 

I can concur with this as I felt the same and i'm not entirely convinced it's all down to Graham sulking given Rovers previous for putting it all on the player for nearly everyone who's left since the Rao's and partnership took over. However Graham has form for going off the boil at Sunderland and when I read their forums before he came here I was a bit horrified then couldn't believe it was the same guy they were commenting on when I saw him steaming around game after game in blue & white.

Sadly he rarely resembled that player again once he came full time but he's plundered the goals and would continue to do so imo so they really need to get in a decent proven striker from somewhere and if Nuttal provides back up good stuff. Hopefully Samuel is going to prove the main striker but the lad rom Leeds isn't the answer and I think he's only here in a shop window job after Leeds who have nearly been as daft as Rovers quickly realised he isn't up to much after someone got him on their books for big money.

43 minutes ago, Athlete said:

And the dumbing down continues.. 

Anyone else get the feeling Mowbray is another Coyle successful once flopped every where since.. 

Game of opinions, but to be honest I think the difference between him and Coyle is like the difference between night and day.

not to worry, once this news reaches venky hq im sure they will cough up the rest, i remember when they told us all how they were willing to pay £5, £10 , £20 million on a player if required, when they were not 'leasing' them of course!

having seen Heneghan play on the telly a few times, i feel he would be a good signing, one of the most highly rated defenders in the SPL (yes i know)

he would also provide a buffer between Eliiott Ward and the starting line up, which can only be a good thing

Just now, Irishrover213 said:

If he goes we need two strikers to go with samuel and antossan. 

Unless Mowbray has the lads ready to sign I'd like us to keep a hold of him 

I'd like to see Nuttall promoted, Graham offloaded and an alternative striker brought in.

Ideally we could also do with some pace down at least one of the wings.

Motherwell fans have mixed feelings about Heneghan

Pretty typical comments... "He'd walk it in League One" to "I'd pay for his bus fare to England" type stuff.

Perhaps this is the most interesting comment: "Started reasonably well but then his form tailed off, only to pick up again when we switched to a back three."

Still, I suppose if Championship clubs are sniffing around him...

13 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Aye at least 1 with some recent goal scoring history not another one in ten or twelve type striker. Don't think Nuttall was in this seasons plans but if he can provide back up it's a great bonus although I do fear the club thinks it can get by with the people we have for a no 10 slot instead and Antossan will be the striker man already in to replace DG.

5 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

not to worry, once this news reaches venky hq im sure they will cough up the rest, i remember when they told us all how they were willing to pay £5, £10 , £20 million on a player if required, when they were not 'leasing' them of course!

having seen Heneghan play on the telly a few times, i feel he would be a good signing, one of the most highly rated defenders in the SPL (yes i know)

he would also provide a buffer between Eliiott Ward and the starting line up, which can only be a good thing

Best comment in a while

If we've become a trading club again looking to strengthen the squad with the right kind of players rather than a home to rubbish then that's fair enough a lot of others operate this way and we know damn well these lot won't cough for transfers so it's the only way forwards apart from mass loans which just didn't work last season.

If they are looking to end this window with a good profit again I think that tells us all we need to know, figures first, football second = same old same old,

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

You'll need to go to games to do that though Jal.

Video for now until there's an upward improvement. Didn't have a problem buying the under 23's ticket as they look a more stable bunch than the first team. 

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That was potentially a superb post. I was with you all the way down to the tenth stanza. How anyone could feel sorry for or show any sympathy for these cretins is beyond me. They haven't been sympathetic to the fans continually holding an olive branch , to try and rectify these " badly advised" decisions, they have showed nothing but contempt. They haven't shown sympathy towards the people that lost their minimum wage jobs through there decisions.  They weren't sympathetic  when they appointed coyle knowing our deep hatred of all things dingle. They don't deserve your sympathy. They may not be the personification of evil but they are still self serving cuntts

Excellent initial post from Eddie and also a very good riposte above.

Feeling "sorry" for them is not the right way to put it. If you take over a business and have no idea what you're doing and make an absolute horlicks of it then you dont deserve any sympathy. You should only get involved in a business if you either know what you're doing or at the very least put suitable people in at the coal face to run it for you.

My next comment may cause howls of protest but I do have a grudging respect for the way they have stuck with us and racked up huge amount of debt against their other assets rather than just cutting and running and leaving us high and dry to go bust as many thought would happen some time ago.

That said, that's all well and good but the only way they can come out of this episode in our history with a modicum of respect is to leave us the same way as they found us as a lower mid table Premiership Club and we're a very very long way off that. Even if that were to occur it would be hard to feel much gratitude towards them as for fans of a certain age the chance to see us continuing to compete or succeed at the top level would have been taken away, or vastly diminished.

So whilst Eddie is mainly spot on with his post, feeling "sorry" for them is definitely not the right turn of phrase.

55 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

I disagree- we need a defender above anything. I don't know how much longer I can put up with with Elliot Ward. The man's a liability. 

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye at least 1 with some recent goal scoring history not another one in ten or twelve type striker. Don't think Nuttall was in this seasons plans but if he can provide back up it's a great bonus although I do fear the club thinks it can get by with the people we have for a no 10 slot instead and Antossan will be the striker man already in to replace DG.

If DG does go we will need someone who will score goals.

Agreed I don't think he was Mowbrays plans but fair play to him if he can force his way in. 

Just now, scotchrover said:

I disagree- we need a defender above anything. I don't know how much longer I can put up with with Elliot Ward. The man's a liability. 

I do think if graham goes we won't get by with 2 senior strikers. 

If darragh stays ward will be back on the bench as cover. 

Would you give Wharton a go if darragh leaves 

I feel this transfer window has not been too bad for Rovers all be it hasn't ended yet! I think we will end up losing one of our more seasoned pros but at this level it's to be expected. Hoping we make a couple of more signings but if not then let's push some of academy lads into the spot light. We still have a decent set up in that respect, remembering when Southampton were down in this league, didn't end up too bad for them.

44 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd like to see Nuttall promoted, Graham offloaded and an alternative striker brought in.

Ideally we could also do with some pace down at least one of the wings.

Yeah not bad if that was the case as nutall has done well since he came in.

If he could provide cover that would be great as I feel graham will need replacing with nutall as 4th. 

I think he's brought in all he will in midfield. I was really impressed with Chapman on Saturday great pace 

36 minutes ago, Tony Rover said:

I feel this transfer window has not been too bad for Rovers all be it hasn't ended yet! I think we will end up losing one of our more seasoned pros but at this level it's to be expected. Hoping we make a couple of more signings but if not then let's push some of academy lads into the spot light. We still have a decent set up in that respect, remembering when Southampton were down in this league, didn't end up too bad for them.

Southampton didn't have d1ckheads at the helm.

Yeh we know where we are and why we're there but we need a solid, strong centre half (or 2). Assuming Charlie stays, we then have the option of playing him in a variety of positions dependant on circumstances, rather than out of position being the norm.

It will only prove to be a good window if Mowbray can get a consistent tune out of what remains from his dealings.

Archived