BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

firstly Stuart, I am fully aware that Rovers have Cat 1 academy. 

I asked a simple question of whether Platt would be ready for league 1 in terms of the physical demand of the league? He has played in the 2 checktrade trophy games so far, so how did he perform in those games?

I like Travis, Doyle, Nuttall, Rankin Costello and Tomlinson a lot but you cant play them all. I've not seen Harper and Hart in all games their played. just seen Hart in his appreace against Rotherham

Far too people are very quick in players judging them either tagged as a failure and success after a couple of games. 

You say that, but instantly judged Smallwood, Samuel etc as successes whereas Gladwin etc are "its too early to judge." No balance.

Surely Platt is as ready as a Liverpool under 23 player is the point here.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, islander200 said:

Chaddy you yourself said you rated Platt and Wharton,you also want us to sign Downing on a permanent so where do you see this Liverpool player we are supposedly after fitting in?

Hopefully its just paper talk,but looking in its like Mowbray has written off our academy

Im not suggesting this Liverpool player. Know nothing about Jones. 

Think Downing has done very good since he came in. 4 games 4 clean sheets and 4 wins. Cant asked for me. Him and Mulgrew look good partnership. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You say that, but instantly judged Smallwood, Samuel etc as successes whereas Gladwin etc are "its too early to judge." No balance.

Surely Platt is as ready as a Liverpool under 23 player is the point here.

Smallwood has played more games than Gladwin. Very impress with Smallwood so far. Some people wrote him off before he even played a game. Were you one?

Is Platt ready? I didnt see him about Bury..what was his performance like?

On 22/10/2017 at 08:22, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers linked with Liverpool under 23's centre half Lloyd Jones in today Sun on Sunday paper

We're supposedly looking at him too - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-ready-sell-defender-lloyd-11198609

On another note, wouldn't surprise me to see Paul Gallagher head back to Blackburn in January, if you're looking for a midfielder.

He's been a quality player and good servant for us, but is struggling to keep fit now and isn't playing much under Alex Neil. He has 6 months left on his contract, and we were close to signing other midfielders in August, Liam Henderson (Celtic) and James Jones (Crewe), but the Henderson thing came up just a bit too late and Jones was carrying an injury. Both deals are supposedly due to be revisited in January though so if that happens I could see Gally becoming available.

2 minutes ago, north_ender said:

We're supposedly looking at him too - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-ready-sell-defender-lloyd-11198609

On another note, wouldn't surprise me to see Paul Gallagher head back to Blackburn in January, if you're looking for a midfielder.

He's been a quality player and good servant for us, but is struggling to keep fit now and isn't playing much under Alex Neil. He has 6 months left on his contract, and we were close to signing other midfielders in August, Liam Henderson (Celtic) and James Jones (Crewe), but the Henderson thing came up just a bit too late and Jones was carrying an injury. Both deals are supposedly due to be revisited in January though so if that happens I could see Gally becoming available.

Gallagher comes to every Rovers game he can get to & we're pretty short on midfielders so I wouldn't be surprised either.

7 hours ago, north_ender said:

I can't see that happening now we've signed Whittingham. Two ball playing non tacklers is one too many.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Rovers should be looking to Bring in the Bury left back in January .

I would hope he had been scouted  more before we just brought him in , if we still have any scouts left, but I to thought he would be an excellent addition based on one performance

31 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I would hope he had been scouted  more before we just brought him in , if we still have any scouts left, but I to thought he would be an excellent addition based on one performance

Don't think there are too many clubs that have agents that are independent of agents or connected to an agency these days.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Over in the Republic last week talking to a couple of Irish guys with sons in football and they both claimed that since the death of Rovers Dublin scout nobody now represents Rovers as a scout over there, this was their claim.

I see Adam Henley had a trial at Blackpool where GB decided to not sign him and he is still without a club. 

Does anybody else find it strange the amount of games he was given in the championship for a team pushing for promotion to not being fancied in a league 1 Blackpool squad by the same manager that kept picking him. He was awful for us granted but surly he is good enough to be playing bottom end of the league where in now. I think even Portsmouth turned him down after a trial too. 

Shame , he showed alot of promise that lad early on. I spoke to him on a family party one night whilst he was a rovers player just after he scored against Wednesday. You could tell how happy he was at getting his first goal. He said he had lost confidence due to an ankle injury . I'm sure he will turn up in the mls in a year or so. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I see Adam Henley had a trial at Blackpool where GB decided to not sign him and he is still without a club. 

Does anybody else find it strange the amount of games he was given in the championship for a team pushing for promotion to not being fancied in a league 1 Blackpool squad by the same manager that kept picking him. He was awful for us granted but surly he is good enough to be playing bottom end of the league where in now. I think even Portsmouth turned him down after a trial too. 

Shame , he showed alot of promise that lad early on. I spoke to him on a family party one night whilst he was a rovers player just after he scored against Wednesday. You could tell how happy he was at getting his first goal. He said he had lost confidence due to an ankle injury . I'm sure he will turn up in the mls in a year or so. 

He's currently on trial at Pompey according to LT article the other day.

Another that was earning and playing well above his station. These wages will now become a stumbling block unless he agrees to take a massive drop.

How many years did we call out for a proper right back? We needed one ever since Salgado was ousted, we had Henley and Lowe as our right backs through all that time. I think during the whole venkies reign we have not signed a dedicated RB until Caddis.

Henley had the cushion of a very good 5 year contract flung at him after he made a couple of first team appearances so I don't think that helped as it often doesn't with a lot of young players. He was another who very much took it all for granted for a while but it's turned around and bitten him on the ass now, hope he invested wisely.

Got to remember we were a Prem club when these lads were breaking through so you can imagine the kind of contracts they were on. Shame for Henley because when he got his head down and really tried it turned out he was made of glass, quick lightweight players often are but he had enough about him at first to turn into a decent championship/lge 1 right back.

If Adam had self belief he'd have been a premiership player by now. Sad to say but a lot of being a top player is to have confidence in your own ability. 

His lack of self belief allowed him to become a scape goat for other players and fans which lowered his confidence further. If we had a true leader on and off the field to protect him a little maybe he would have fulfilled his potential. It is the one reason why I'm weary of playing any of the young players now because we still have no leader who'll protect them when things go wrong.

58 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Henley had the cushion of a very good 5 year contract flung at him after he made a couple of first team appearances so I don't think that helped as it often doesn't with a lot of young players. He was another who very much took it all for granted for a while but it's turned around and bitten him on the ass now, hope he invested wisely.

Got to remember we were a Prem club when these lads were breaking through so you can imagine the kind of contracts they were on. Shame for Henley because when he got his head down and really tried it turned out he was made of glass, quick lightweight players often are but he had enough about him at first to turn into a decent championship/lge 1 right back.

Another element of young players failing is attitude. I remember Dunn becoming big time and wanting to be a playboy. He did it with the wrong manager and Souness bombed him after giving him a chance to change his attitude. Weak managers just allow situations to fester without dealing with them. I personally thought Henley was poor but the managers during his time couldn't have helped too much in my opinion. Whoever decided to offer him a five year deal cost this club a lot of money.

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Another element of young players failing is attitude. I remember Dunn becoming big time and wanting to be a playboy. He did it with the wrong manager and Souness bombed him after giving him a chance to change his attitude. Weak managers just allow situations to fester without dealing with them. I personally thought Henley was poor but the managers during his time couldn't have helped too much in my opinion. Whoever decided to offer him a five year deal cost this club a lot of money.

Yeah I know a few who know this lad well and far from being a bad sort I think he fitted the young footballer gaining money and losing focus tag perfectly. Then in the blink of an eye an injury becomes a chronic problem and it's all gone although I am surprised no one has taken a punt on him if he's fit enough to play now, think he was more interested in being a DJ or something though rather than grafting on a pitch everyday.

16 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Some good players over here going for peanuts. Worth a shot as it is much easier to relocate from Ireland to Blackburn,rather than from some where in central europe. I think Mceleney would be a good signing and could hit the ground running at this level. He is a hard working target man,I think we could do with a player like that. The league of ireland can be pretty physical ,so that could hold him in good stead as well 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some good players over here going for peanuts. Worth a shot as it is much easier to relocate from Ireland to Blackburn,rather than from some where in central europe. I think Mceleney would be a good signing and could hit the ground running at this level. He is a hard working target man,I think we could do with a player like that. The league of ireland can be pretty physical ,so that could hold him in good stead as well 

PNE have signed a few recently who seem to be doing well. As JAL said it appears we've not had much of a scouting presence over the water since the last one passed away. Hopefully that part of the club is back up and functioning.

I thought McEleney was a midfielder? Only going off those articles, mind, I've never heard of him.

Archived