BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great point. I'd forgotten Downing was only on loan. Signing him permanently and trying to offload Ward should be a priority.

Imo with the exception of Mulgrew most of our higher earners are our worst performers. If there is no movement either way it wouldn't be a complete disaster but, in an ideal world, having managed to shift Lowe in the summer, I'd be looking to move out one or two more of our underperforming overpaid players like Ward/Graham/Conway/Bennett/Evans and bring in people who put in a much better shift in in day in day out week in week out like Downing Smallwood and Dack.

Selling Bennett ,Conway or Graham in January would be a terrible decision. Thank God,I'm sure mowbray has more sense than that. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Selling Bennett ,Conway or Graham in January would be a terrible decision. Thank God,I'm sure mowbray has more sense than that. 

Depends who we can bring in to replace them. I like Bennett but if Chapman was fit would he be getting a game ?  I think Conway and Graham have had their best days. If Mowbray can recruit as well as he has with Smallwood, Dack, Downing etc I'd back him.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Imo Conway's finished. Bennett is completely ineffective, especially in home games, and if we couldn't bring in far better than Graham for the same or even far less in wages Id be very surprised. The only difficulty would be in shifting the useless dolloper out.

Game of opinions I suppose which makes it so great.

42 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great point. I'd forgotten Downing was only on loan. Signing him permanently and trying to offload Ward should be a priority.

Imo with the exception of Mulgrew most of our higher earners are our worst performers. If there is no movement either way it wouldn't be a complete disaster but, in an ideal world, having managed to shift Lowe in the summer, I'd be looking to move out one or two more of our underperforming overpaid players like Ward/Graham/Conway/Bennett/Evans and bring in people who put in a much better shift in in day in day out week in week out like Downing Smallwood and Dack.

Bennett won't be going anywhere considering he was just given a new contract

Just now, islander200 said:

Bennett won't be going anywhere considering he was just given a new contract

I know. Ludicrous. It would enhance his value though in the unlikely event anyone came in for him.

I know TM rates him and I know all five of those listed wouldnt be leaving at once anyhow but if the opportunity arose to offload one or more of them and replace with better Im just saying what I would do in January to strngthen us still further for the final assault.

58 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Imo Conway's finished. Bennett is completely ineffective, especially in home games, and if we couldn't bring in far better than Graham for the same or even far less in wages Id be very surprised. The only difficulty would be in shifting the useless dolloper out.

Game of opinions I suppose which makes it so great.

You may be in a minority of one with Bennett but I'd shift the rest of them if possible and look for better replacements. I'd also shift Caddis but that would mean a lot of recruiting in a difficult window. Nyambe I would keep a bit longer. He is young and might improve. And please don't bring Feeney back. He IS useless and always has been.

There was a story today that Devante Cole could leave Fleetwood for as little as 250k as he is out of contract In the summer , for that money we should be in for him , Not that I think we are particularly short on strikers at the moment , just I think he's a  cracking player who Imo  certainly could play a league higher 

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know. Ludicrous. It would enhance his value though in the unlikely event anyone came in for him.

I know TM rates him and I know all five of those listed wouldnt be leaving at once anyhow but if the opportunity arose to offload one or more of them and replace with better Im just saying what I would do in January to strngthen us still further for the final assault.

I agree with you that I'd be looking to move Conway,Ward and Evans on,I'd leave it till the summer though in the case of Conway and Evans.

Conway has been a good servant to the club but I think age and injuries have taken their toll.Evans has done nothing since he came and seems to be made of glass.He could be a decent midfielder but I question his motivation. 

I'd keep Bennett, although he doesn't create enough in my opinion his pressing and energy give something to the team.

4 minutes ago, AJW said:

There was a story today that Devante Cole could leave Fleetwood for as little as 250k as he is out of contract In the summer , for that money we should be in for him , Not that I think we are particularly short on strikers at the moment , just I think he's a  cracking player who Imo  certainly could play a league higher 

Sheffield United and another Championship club are in for him according to the paper so he would probably look to join one of those

8 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

My intent was sarcasm, with no malice intended. Another medium that doesn't work well written down.

I thought that your post was funny. A team now winning needs a complete overhaul.

It was a bit like Monty Python's "what have the Romans done for us" bit in the Life of Brian. 

Fair enough, no harm done ? caught me on a bad day that's all. Yeah don't think an overhaul is needed but do feel the squad needs a couple of additions as a bit thin in a few places. We've been really fortunate that Mulgrew hasn't been like Evans in getting injured regularly for example. There's a couple of places where an injury could really derail our season Imo - Smallwood or Mulgrew out and we'd find life a lot tougher. Guess that's the same for all teams but given it seems we can have a decent squad/budget would be good to make the most of it.

Just now, Blue blood said:

Fair enough, no harm done ? caught me on a bad day that's all. Yeah don't think an overhaul is needed but do feel the squad needs a couple of additions as a bit thin in a few places. We've been really fortunate that Mulgrew hasn't been like Evans in getting injured regularly for example. There's a couple of places where an injury could really derail our season Imo - Smallwood or Mulgrew out and we'd find life a lot tougher. Guess that's the same for all teams but given it seems we can have a decent squad/budget would be good to make the most of it.

Right at this moment we have  Evans, Whittingham , Gladwin, Chapman, Bennett, Lenihan all unavailable for selection on Tuesday. Yesterday Harper was unavailable. That's a lot more than half a team and they're all guys who can play in midfield. Most teams in this division would be absolutely sunk in that position. We've done well so far but we'll need a couple more starters in after Xmas I think.

A

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Right at this moment we have  Evans, Whittingham , Gladwin, Chapman, Bennett, Lenihan all unavailable for selection on Tuesday. Yesterday Harper was unavailable. That's a lot more than half a team and they're all guys who can play in midfield. Most teams in this division would be absolutely sunk in that position. We've done well so far but we'll need a couple more starters in after Xmas I think.

Agree about the starters but feel cm is still light. Lenihan needed in defence, Bennett and Chapman out wide. Evans is often injured and Gladwin... Meh. Even then Whittingham isn't really a fighter type and am yet to be convinced that either Harper or Evans are tough enough for the role. Hopefully either Harper or Tomlinson, who I know little about, can really step up and make the place theirs but it's a big ask for young players.

Also agree as is our squad is still strong for this division - hadn't realised we'd so many out but we are still putting out a decent team.

My views - 

Evans - good player when he's not injured but he's perpetually injured or being rested. Trouble with him and a few others  ( Graham, Conway, Whittingham ) is they struggle to play 90 mins regularly so you've got to waste a sub on them at some point in the game.

Whittingham - poor signing, we can't find a place for him in any system that I can see. I think we thought we  were buying the new Gordon Cowans but he's not mobile enough or combative enough for this league. Cowans could put a foot in if needed.

Harper - I know he's only a lad but apart from his size and athleticism I just don't see any X factor there at all. 

Gladwin- if he was fit he'd be my stand in for Dack on Tuesday. He doesn't seem to have settled at the club. Poor signing ?

Lenihan - Good cover for the centre halves and maybe even Smallwood if and when he's suspended again. 

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My views - 

Evans - good player when he's not injured but he's perpetually injured or being rested. Trouble with him and a few others  ( Graham, Conway, Whittingham ) is they struggle to play 90 mins regularly so you've got to waste a sub on them at some point in the game.

Whittingham - poor signing, we can't find a place for him in any system that I can see. I think we thought we  were buying the new Gordon Cowans but he's not mobile enough or combative enough for this league. Cowans could put a foot in if needed.

Harper - I know he's only a lad but apart from his size and athleticism I just don't see any X factor there at all. 

Gladwin- if he was fit he'd be my stand in for Dack on Tuesday. He doesn't seem to have settled at the club. Poor signing ?

Lenihan - Good cover for the centre halves and maybe even Smallwood if and when he's suspended again. 

I still think that Whittingham gets a bit of unfair stick.

Whilst he certainly hasn't been a class above like expected, he does add a nice balance alongside Smallwood, is composed on the ball, and it allows Smallwood to get about a bit more and press.

I like Evans but obviously his injury record is a joke.

I don't think thats a problem position bar maybe bringing in cover, should be well down the list of January priorities.

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I still think that Whittingham gets a bit of unfair stick.

Whilst he certainly hasn't been a class above like expected, he does add a nice balance alongside Smallwood, is composed on the ball, and it allows Smallwood to get about a bit more and press.

I like Evans but obviously his injury record is a joke.

I don't think thats a problem position bar maybe bringing in cover, should be well down the list of January priorities.

I'm still undecided on Whittingham, but agree that he brings more than some have suggested. Didn't help that he was earmarked as a potential Murphy mark II before we really got going. 

I'm surprised Tomlinson has not played more by now as he has looked decent whenever given a chance, and we haven't been blessed with players in central midfield. 

Long term he and Smallwood look like the ticket. If Willem can't step up we need another solid first choice there as Evans and Whittingham are not dependable, and Dack really is more suited to an attacking role.

Outside of CM we have good options across the team. Wouldn't say no to better full backs, but not a huge priority. To me it looks like we have a lot of decent wide players and strikers. Lenihan coming back gives us more depth at CB.

The club needs to know what the score is regarding Chapman. If he's not going to be back before say the middle of March we need another pacey winger.  I'm concerned about the lad, with injuries like that recovering mentally can take longer than the physical side of things. Especially with guys who rely on sudden bursts of pace.

We'll carry on struggling against teams that park the bus at Ewood because we have to play in front of their defence. We haven't got a Dunny or a Berkovic who can run at teams with the ball from the halfway line and draw out the defenders and we at the moment haven't got a player to get around the back of teams. Dack would be wasted in either of those roles, he's better off playing up with a lone striker as he does now.

Archived