BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder does he regret leaving now? Could have made some name for himself here 

His bank account won't be regretting it if rumours are true but yeah he must be a bit fed up after getting first team football to now be back at the level he was at.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Agreed. I always said that Arsenal or Liverpool (or staying here) would've been better moves as both those clubs needed centre backs at the time, but only Utd were willing to stump up that level of money.

Ferries shifting him round the team may have 'improved his overall play yada yada', but he needed to be a centre back fixture imo.

Jones was never going to reach his full potential as his body just can't cope with the physical demands of professional sport. He's broken down time and time again. We were lucky to get what we got for him before it became obvious that he wasn't going to ever be able to complete anything close to a full season. The maximum league apps he's ever had since moving to Utd is 29 in his first season there, since then it reads 17, 26, 22, 10, 18, 11. He's not Vince Grella, granted, but with that injury record he can never be relied upon in a long term plan.  

I wonder does he regret leaving now? Could have made some name for himself here 

From the footballers I know it works out something like:

30% - Money talks, will restrict their career, move abroad or play in a poor league if the money/contract length is better. Not interested in winning things. See Ekotto, Neill, Hoilett.

60% - A combination money/success. Want to win trophies and want to succeed but must be paid correctly. They weigh the two up, but would pick West Ham over Spurs if West Ham paid more. See Tevez.

10% - Want to be successful at the best club they can be / hometown club. See Le Tissier, Kane, Bellamy.

I imagine like most Jones falls into the 60%. It wouldn't surprise me to see him move to a Everton like club soon.

I would only have Mahoney back if we signed him permanently, I don't think he's good enough yet to justify a loan move but he might be good enough in the future. By the way, Chapman is twice the player but it unfortunately looks like he'll be one of those players that are too explosive for their legs.

Everton is a good call. Let's say the move happens this summer, he'll be reunited with Big Sam who got the best out of him, their defence are either 33+ or kids around 22 tops so someone who has experienced the highs of winning and the lows of injury and so on can provide some words of wisdom to the raft of young players that the Toffees seem to produce. 

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Everton is a good call. Let's say the move happens this summer, he'll be reunited with Big Sam who got the best out of him, their defence are either 33+ or kids around 22 tops so someone who has experienced the highs of winning and the lows of injury and so on can provide some words of wisdom to the raft of young players that the Toffees seem to produce. 

Why? He's one of the first names on the team sheet for Jose when fit.

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Lucas Joao not getting a game at Sheff Wed again. 

Would move Graham on, and bring Joao in and Chapman on a pre contract. Sign a winger on loan till the end of the season.

Weren't there some rumours flying around that Joao was a negative influence in the dressing room? I like him as a player, and think he has potential, but don't want to risk our current (great) team spirit by bringing him back if he's a sour grape.

Just now, Torgeir said:

Weren't there some rumours flying around that Joao was a negative influence in the dressing room? I like him as a player, and think he has potential, but don't want to risk our current (great) team spirit by bringing him back if he's a sour grape.

I'm not sure we need another striker unless one of the current 3 move on. It looks at the moment like we would normally play with one of the three up front with Dack in behind. I wasn't massively impressed with Joao anyway. He blew hot and cold too much. We need a quick winger first and foremost.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure we need another striker unless one of the current 3 move on. It looks at the moment like we would normally play with one of the three up front with Dack in behind. I wasn't massively impressed with Joao anyway. He blew hot and cold too much. We need a quick winger first and foremost.

Definitely. A good out and out winger not a right footed left winger for example. I'm growing tired of this coming inside business. It's fed all the way down to amateur level too and, as a defender, it's becoming very easy to defend against purely because of its predictability. It's much harder as a centre back when you're pulled out wide against a quick & tricky winger that can beat you on the outside and whip a ball in. 

January is always a difficult time to do any good business because teams are reluctant to see an asset go midway through the year. If we can get an out of favour player from the premier league on loan I'd be more inclined for that because we don't exactly have the money to pay inflated Jan fees.

24 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Definitely. A good out and out winger not a right footed left winger for example. I'm growing tired of this coming inside business. It's fed all the way down to amateur level too and, as a defender, it's becoming very easy to defend against purely because of its predictability. It's much harder as a centre back when you're pulled out wide against a quick & tricky winger that can beat you on the outside and whip a ball in. 

January is always a difficult time to do any good business because teams are reluctant to see an asset go midway through the year. If we can get an out of favour player from the premier league on loan I'd be more inclined for that because we don't exactly have the money to pay inflated Jan fees.

I couldn't agree more regarding this modern bullshit of wingers coming back inside onto their " good " foot most of the time. How many goals would the SAS scored if we'd have played like that and had Ripley and Wilcox coming inside all afternoon ?

I've played at the back. Two things kill you as a defender. 1)  Central midfield players getting away from their markers and carrying the ball into the last third therefore drawing you out of position. 2)  Wingers getting up the side of your back four and making you play facing your own goal.

It's  like  the problems we have we Raya and corners at the moment. We bring everybody back to defend corners so the six yard box is packed with bodies. Raya gets boxed in. Put one of the smaller forwards out on the half way line,  Chapman would have been ideal before he got injured. The opposition will have to pull at least one guy, more likely two, back to mark that  forward and that's three bodies out of the way.

Ideally, a pacey winger and a right back. If we can swing it, a big, dominating centre back too. But, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't sign anybody this January. We have a fairly big squad for this division and our youth seem to be able to make the step up when called upon, which is nice to see. Also don't think there's anyone obvious that needs shifting. Some may argue Graham, but I still think he has a big part to play this season. Makes a refreshing change.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bad news and good news....

I guess its to be expected if he's in Boro he's wearing their gear. I was under the impression he was doing his rehab down here though. There can't be that much difference between the two medical teams nowadays.

• Backroom

It's great for him and us(short term) ,but it means he will probably be there next season 

Not exactly, he's their player now till the end of the season it's in their interests to get him fit and open up all the options.

I think a new deal will be offered but think he'd sign here if we got promoted 

Archived