BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Doesn't necessarily mean much. It's xmas, wants to be closer to home while training? He was getting time here and it seemed like he was enjoying himself. Doubtful he would wear a rovers kit when training at boro lol. 

He is probably better than us right now but next season we might be at his level and with 3/4 guys in front of him at boro you never know.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Definitely. A good out and out winger not a right footed left winger for example. I'm growing tired of this coming inside business. It's fed all the way down to amateur level too and, as a defender, it's becoming very easy to defend against purely because of its predictability. It's much harder as a centre back when you're pulled out wide against a quick & tricky winger that can beat you on the outside and whip a ball in. 

January is always a difficult time to do any good business because teams are reluctant to see an asset go midway through the year. If we can get an out of favour player from the premier league on loan I'd be more inclined for that because we don't exactly have the money to pay inflated Jan fees.

Tired of Antonsson scoring are you?

On 13/12/2017 at 01:39, Fraserkirky said:

Lucas Joao not getting a game at Sheff Wed again. 

Would move Graham on, and bring Joao in and Chapman on a pre contract. Sign a winger on loan till the end of the season.

DG should stay,  there is fantastic camaraderie here now with DG, dack, Mulgrew, etc, why break it up and he is still a dam good player.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd like a Chapman style quick winger for getting at teams who " park the bus " at Ewood. Antonnson doesn't fit the bill in that respect. Neither really does Bennett or Conway.

It was the comment about wingers cutting inside which is how Antonsson is operating at the moment. Conwy's legs have gone but I agree we need another option for outwide on either flank

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

DG should stay,  there is fantastic camaraderie here now with DG, dack, Mulgrew, etc, why break it up and he is still a dam good player.

Agree about Graham. He was the first to celebrate Nutall's first goal even though Graham had just been replaced by Nutall

12 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Tired of Antonsson scoring are you?

Not at all. I mean in general I am tired of the in-thing being to put wrong footed wingers on either side. How that means I'm tired of Antonsson scoring is beyond me.

It wouldn't do any harm to have a left footed player to play on the left wing for when Antonsson isn't scoring. As Tyrone pointed out a winger coming on the inside does not suit when teams have parked the bus and is probably testament to our inability to break those teams down in the past.

I was just saying that, if/when we do look for a winger in Jan, I'd be looking at an out and out left footed/right footed winger to play on either side. Someone that is going to make the byline and whip the ball in.

Antonnson's goals have all come when he's come right off his wing and got into the box as an extra striker. I'm all in favour of that, that's how you get goals as a winger. When the ball is out on the other wing and it looks like a cross is on the way get in the danger area ASAP. One of my beefs with MGP was as time went by he did that less and less and his goals dried up.

What he can't do is pick the ball up on the half way line, run at the full back, skin him and get in behind their back four. Catch the opposition on the hop before they can all get behind the ball. Chapman was capable of doing that. If he's coming back soon, great. If he isn't , we need a similar replacement even if it's only a loan player.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Antonnson's goals have all come when he's come right off his wing and got into the box as an extra striker. I'm all in favour of that, that's how you get goals as a winger. When the ball is out on the other wing and it looks like a cross is on the way get in the danger area ASAP. One of my beefs with MGP was as time went by he did that less and less and his goals dried up.

What he can't do is pick the ball up on the half way line, run at the full back, skin him and get in behind their back four. Catch the opposition on the hop before they can all get behind the ball. Chapman was capable of doing that. If he's coming back soon, great. If he isn't , we need a similar replacement even if it's only a loan player.

We need a similar replacement to Chapman for the right too. Conway isn't the player to do that, Bennett can't play all the time and Samuel isn't a right winger. Who else do you play out there? 

It might be a useful experiment to try Nyambe further up even if only in U23 games. He has raw pace but is being found out defensively on occasion. If not bring a lad in to do that job.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Not at all. I mean in general I am tired of the in-thing being to put wrong footed wingers on either side. How that means I'm tired of Antonsson scoring is beyond me.

It wouldn't do any harm to have a left footed player to play on the left wing for when Antonsson isn't scoring. As Tyrone pointed out a winger coming on the inside does not suit when teams have parked the bus and is probably testament to our inability to break those teams down in the past.

I was just saying that, if/when we do look for a winger in Jan, I'd be looking at an out and out left footed/right footed winger to play on either side. Someone that is going to make the byline and whip the ball in.

When I played full back the one thing you didn't want was getting beaten on the outside. If you could show the winger inside and he went that way, great.  Job done, pass him on to one of the centre midfield players and watch him run into heavy traffic In midfield.

When was the last time you saw one of our wingers come inside and bang one into the top corner ? 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I played full back the one thing you didn't want was getting beaten on the outside. If you could show the winger inside and he went that way, great.  Job done, pass him on to one of the centre midfield players and watch him run into heavy traffic In midfield.

When was the last time you saw one of our wingers come inside and bang one into the top corner ? 

I don’t think you’ve mentioned that you’ve played the game before ?

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We need a similar replacement to Chapman for the right too.

Antonsson is our joint-highest scorer in the league this season. I very much doubt that Mowbray is going to be replacing him.

Interesting... We've got four players on 8 goals each (Antonsson, Dack, Samuel, Mulgrew). Goals coming from all over the pitch!

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We need a similar replacement to Chapman for the right too. Conway isn't the player to do that, Bennett can't play all the time and Samuel isn't a right winger. Who else do you play out there? 

It might be a useful experiment to try Nyambe further up even if only in U23 games. He has raw pace but is being found out defensively on occasion. If not bring a lad in to do that job.

Sorry to pick a hole in youe theory but the only problem with Nyambe playing further forward, his final ball when he overlaps is awful. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bennett last season v PNE but he didn't cut in, he came from a central position and it didn't hit the top corner. 

Conwy against Rotherham the other season

16 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Antonsson is our joint-highest scorer in the league this season. I very much doubt that Mowbray is going to be replacing him.

Interesting... We've got four players on 8 goals each (Antonsson, Dack, Samuel, Mulgrew). Goals coming from all over the pitch!

Chapman is our replacement for Antonsson on the left, or at least was before his injury. I meant we need a replacement player similar to him but for the right.

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Sorry to pick a hole in youe theory but the only problem with Nyambe playing further forward, his final ball when he overlaps is awful. 

Yeah, you're right. He needs to show more control in those areas which will hopefully come with age.

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Chapman is our replacement for Antonsson on the left, or at least was before his injury. I meant we need a replacement player similar to him but for the right.

Yeah, you're right. He needs to show more control in those areas which will hopefully come with age.

I'm a bit concerned if doesn't know how to cross yet, he never will. It's a technique thing. 

He should take some tips from Williams perhaps. He has our highest number of assists I believe 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm a bit concerned if doesn't know how to cross yet, he never will. It's a technique thing. 

He should take some tips from Williams perhaps. He has our highest number of assists I believe 

Thats an interesting stat if true. Wonder if someone can confirm who our biggest assister is - i would do it myself but at work.

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Nyambe will come good if given time but he has been lacking in lots of areas. His pace and strength have bailed him out of trouble a few times. I don't think Caddis will be a good level Championship RB so it's forward planning time in that regard.

Likewise, if that stat is true about Williams then fair enough but I don't think he's good enough either. Both full backs need addressing.

11 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think Nyambe will come good if given time but he has been lacking in lots of areas. His pace and strength have bailed him out of trouble a few times. I don't think Caddis will be a good level Championship RB so it's forward planning time in that regard.

Likewise, if that stat is true about Williams then fair enough but I don't think he's good enough either. Both full backs need addressing.

Ya, I agree on Caddis. It looks like League 1 is Williams level too 

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Thats an interesting stat if true. Wonder if someone can confirm who our biggest assister is - i would do it myself but at work.

As per http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-league-one-2017-2018/

League One + FA Cup + League Cup = Total

Williams 4+1+0=5

Bennett 3+1+0=4

Chapman 3+0+0=3

Dack 2+1+0=3

Graham 2+1+0=3

Antonsson 2+0+0=2

Conway 2+0+0=2

Mulgrew 2+0+0=2

Ward 2+0+0=2

Nyambe 1+0+0=1