BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Backroom

Wonder if there is anything in this slightly cryptic tweet:

i would assume not as he's been injured and not a position we'd likely be looking at but the lad has talent somewhere!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have you not decided that already? 

If they fit in the team,they are good enough. They are bringing a lot to the table 

We'll need a grafting  winger on one flank and a flyer on the other if we do get promoted. 1 up front and Dack playing in behind. I don't see where Antonnson fits in to that way of playing.

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Definitely not? He is our joint top goal scorer 

That’s what I thought. Antonsson is nowhere near the finished article for me, and he has improved pretty much game for game.

I do have an affinity with hardworking players though, and he certainly possesses the attitude, effort and fitness that so many lack! 

30 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mceleney has signed for Oldham from Dundalk. We were linked with him. Apparently Byrne is going back to Wigan. He was only on loan at Oldham

Less foreigners more British is the way to go! ;) Byrne loan ends 1st of January. I'd be looking at Deguzman of the states (18), Lewis Morgan (18) or Harry Cochrane (16) for our next centre midfielder. All will be 10 million plus players in 5 years and available for less than 300k now.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I've never seen them play in the Championship so obviously not. How often have you seen both play?

I don’t think Dele Alli ever played in the championship, but he did fairly well in league 1.

Watt currently plays for Belgian 2nd division outfit, OH Leuven, managed by Nigel Pearson (wondered where he'd got to). Interestingly, OH Leuven are owned by King Power, who are also long-time sponsors of Leicester City. Perhaps Pearson is in their good books.

Was checking to see if Mowbray signed Watt for Celtic, but he was sacked 8 months before Watt signed for Celtic in January 2011. A written account suggests that Watt was due to come for a trial at Rovers (amongst others) before he signed for Celtic. This would've made Watt a Steve Kean target. Regardless, it never happened.

Seems like Watt is a raw talent that never had proper mentoring during his earlier years. He could've been some player with a proper manager nurturing him. I'd have him back at Rovers, and I reckon Mowbray could do well with him.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

We need pace, not piss heads.

Exactly. He's just another Ben Marshall, has something but his head is always elsewhere and recently the team spirit seems to be developing itself on the pitch not in the bars and clubs of Preston, Clitheroe and Manchester like under the last stable but holiday camp era.

Watt, Feeney, Joa - No no no lets keep moving forwards whilst we are not go back to tried and tested snowflakes.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

That’s what I thought. Antonsson is nowhere near the finished article for me, and he has improved pretty much game for game.

I do have an affinity with hardworking players though, and he certainly possesses the attitude, effort and fitness that so many lack! 

I like hardworking players too. The lad has a very good attitude and he's a very willing worker. It's just that not enough end product comes from all the running around in my opinion.  He has improved from the first time I saw him play but he really needed to. I wouldn't be looking to sign him if we get promoted. Leeds would probably want to recoup some of the fee they paid for him and I think that money could be better spent elsewhere. I E a good winger.

Talking about players in general the ones I'd be looking to keep are the players are who are shining at this level because one thing I've noticed is the level of ability in the next league up is definitely higher.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like hardworking players too. The lad has a very good attitude and he's a very willing worker. It's just that not enough end product comes from all the running around in my opinion.  He has improved from the first time I saw him play but he really needed to. I wouldn't be looking to sign him if we get promoted. Leeds would probably want to recoup some of the fee they paid for him and I think that money could be better spent elsewhere. I E a good winger.

Talking about players in general the ones I'd be looking to keep are the players are who are shining at this level because one thing I've noticed is the level of ability in the next league up is definitely higher.

Top end, yes- Middle to bottom, id say there are plenty of teams at this level that will be a similar opponent. 

As for Marcus - I think we agree on his level. I just think we disagree a bit on his potential. I also think most teams cut their losses if they can save on wages so I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see “undisclosed fee” and him join up in January.

We have been told by manager's past and present that the owners are more likely to spend money in the transfer market if the team is doing well so we will soon find out if that statement holds any truth.

There are bargains to be bought in this league,Dack being the prime example and we should be using our big club status to poach one or two of the better players who have the potential to play at a higher level.

I would sign Downing if the fee is reasonable but don't see him being a starter in the longer term,especially next season if we go up a league.Antonnson looks a lot better wide of a three,works hard and has improved but I don't think we would get away with playing him there in the Championship.The side badly lacks pace in attacking areas and I'd rather we used our budget to address that rather than signing Antonnson full time

Agree we should be trying to pluck the better players in this league while we are in a position of strength. Much better than picking up Championship rejects who were deemed not good enough at their previous clubs. Pick up the hungry ones from down here that have ambition and want to play at a higher level.

As for Tony Watt, he did look good is spells but from what I remember he had a bit of an attitude the last time he was here and took an age to get fit (if he ever did get fit). Talent is there but he is another that comes across as not really bothered about his future and is picking up a wage while enjoying the party lifestyle.

Quite happy to sit this window out with no ins or outs.

Squad has very decent depth for League 1 and players are due back from injury and suspension although more suspensions and injuries are pretty well certain.

Lenahan coming back could be huge and having Chapman back for the run in is the biggest deal we could clinch.

10 hours ago, Biz said:

Top end, yes- Middle to bottom, id say there are plenty of teams at this level that will be a similar opponent. 

As for Marcus - I think we agree on his level. I just think we disagree a bit on his potential. I also think most teams cut their losses if they can save on wages so I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see “undisclosed fee” and him join up in January.

Leeds Utd let him go because he didn't perform at that level. He is 26 now and he has found "his level". He is an average player that has benefited from some poor defending.

I'm happy with his contribution to the goals scored but in general his play, from holding it up, to taking players on, passing the ball etc has all been disappointing. If we are looking at the future we need better quality in that area. Championship defenders won't be so easily lost at the back post week in week out.

Archived