BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anybody techy on internet issues?

Bit of a strange one really , I am not that clued up really when it comes to Internet and computering but I have a bit of a problem which when I tell people they look puzzled 

When I turn on my P.C. It knocks everyone else off the internet

we all have phones , I-pads etc  and the boy is never off his Xbox we have sky connected to Internet we have an Amazon stick and the my son as also got something he can stick into his telly that he can watch YouTube on etc and we can all use them together without any issues , but as soon as I put the computer on nobody else can access Internet , and the computer , in my opinion is really slow , we have SKY fibre unlimited , Is there  somewhere in my computer (Windows 10 operating system)  some kind off setting I can change or worryingly is something more sinister going on? The computer I have was only bought last Xmas and it was a  refurbished one

thanks

3 hours ago, den said:

Couple of things to try.

Firstly have a look in task manager if there's any processes running that look suspicious (google them if unsure).

Secondly, try re-installing the network adaptor on the laptop. http://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/7619/how_to_remove_and_reinstall_wireless_drivers_in_windows_8

See if that makes any difference.

Thanks ... I wil try this , but it's a desktop not a laptop .. Same procedure ???

On 22/07/2017 at 17:02, Bluebarley said:

Don't use Windows due to malware style attacks I use Linux as my OS. I suspect the router could be worth exploring.

I always wanted to move over to Linux but when I tried it briefly I found nothing really worked any more - live streaming etc. :wacko:

What you will need libav-tools:
1) sudo apt-get install libav-tools // OR
2) I do believe it is in the default repositories, search for it in your software centre.

Once that is done you only need a small script (please note I am not the original creator of this script, I have only added/modified it a bit):
Code
#! /bin/bash

INRES="1360x768"
OUTRES="1360x768"
FPS="30" # fps
QUAL="slow"

STREAM_KEY=$(cat ~/.twitch_key)

avconv \
-f x11grab -s $INRES -r "$FPS" -i :0.0 \
-f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse \
-vcodec libx264 -s $OUTRES -preset $QUAL \
-acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -threads 4 -qscale 8 -b 712000 -bufsize 8192k -minrate 5120k -maxrate 8192k -ac 2 \
-f flv "rtmp://live.NO/app/$STREAM_KEY"
Ok I will try and break down the script and explain a few things:
INRES = in resolution - what resolution should it record at? - Typically this should be the same resolution as your game/screen or close to it.
OUTRES = out resolution - what resolution should it give viewers? - This should also be close to what in resolution you are using.
FPS = Pretty self explainatory, this is the FPS which it will target for the rtmp stream.
QUAL = This one is very important and you will have to play around with it yourself depending on your hardware slow = more CPU usage, but better quality gain || fast = less CPU usage, worse quality - here are some examples of presets with avconv:
ultrafast | superfast | veryfast | faster | fast | placebo | medium | slow | slower | veryslow

Additionally, you can also get a list by doing so:
cat /usr/share/avconv/*.avpreset

STREAM_KEY = This actually just uses the command cat to grab the live_key from a file (which you must create), or you could simply put the live_key direcly inside the streaming program - up to you. Here is an example of the .twitch_key file:
live_0123456789_abcdefghijklmnp
To find your live-key go to: http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast OR http://www.NO/broadcast/adv_other for NO

Next up is the avconv part, really all you may want to change here are:
-threads how many threads does your CPU have? I have an quad-core processor so for me it is 4.
-qscale quality scale - I do believe this goes from 1-10 where 1 is the lowest quality.
-b audio bitrate.
-bufsize video buffer size.
-minrate minimum bitrate for video.
-maxrate maximum bitrate for video.
-ac number of audio channels.

Example of bitrate/buffer size: 1024k, 2048k, 3072k, 4096k, 5120k and so on. You may want to set a higher value if you have a high upload speed (I have 10mbit so I have set mine to 8mbit).

In advance sorry for grammatical errors, English is not my mother tongue. I might add/explain better and fix layout - right now it is really late though and I will go to sleep. There are several other guides out there that are based upon the same method as this, however some uses an old script which no longer works. This has been tested and works on Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

Also, please use the manual (search by holding shift and pressing /):
man avconv

Oh I forgot, you will need to give the script execute permissions:
sudo chmod +x SCRIPTNAME HERE

Hope it helps.

On 25/07/2017 at 00:36, Bluebarley said:

What you will need libav-tools:
1) sudo apt-get install libav-tools // OR
2) I do believe it is in the default repositories, search for it in your software centre.

Once that is done you only need a small script (please note I am not the original creator of this script, I have only added/modified it a bit):
Code

#! /bin/bash

INRES="1360x768"
OUTRES="1360x768"
FPS="30" # fps
QUAL="slow"

STREAM_KEY=$(cat ~/.twitch_key)

avconv \
-f x11grab -s $INRES -r "$FPS" -i :0.0 \
-f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse \
-vcodec libx264 -s $OUTRES -preset $QUAL \
-acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -threads 4 -qscale 8 -b 712000 -bufsize 8192k -minrate 5120k -maxrate 8192k -ac 2 \
-f flv "rtmp://live.NO/app/$STREAM_KEY"
Ok I will try and break down the script and explain a few things:
INRES = in resolution - what resolution should it record at? - Typically this should be the same resolution as your game/screen or close to it.
OUTRES = out resolution - what resolution should it give viewers? - This should also be close to what in resolution you are using.
FPS = Pretty self explainatory, this is the FPS which it will target for the rtmp stream.
QUAL = This one is very important and you will have to play around with it yourself depending on your hardware slow = more CPU usage, but better quality gain || fast = less CPU usage, worse quality - here are some examples of presets with avconv:
ultrafast | superfast | veryfast | faster | fast | placebo | medium | slow | slower | veryslow

Additionally, you can also get a list by doing so:
cat /usr/share/avconv/*.avpreset

STREAM_KEY = This actually just uses the command cat to grab the live_key from a file (which you must create), or you could simply put the live_key direcly inside the streaming program - up to you. Here is an example of the .twitch_key file:
live_0123456789_abcdefghijklmnp
To find your live-key go to: http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast OR http://www.NO/broadcast/adv_other for NO

Next up is the avconv part, really all you may want to change here are:
-threads how many threads does your CPU have? I have an quad-core processor so for me it is 4.
-qscale quality scale - I do believe this goes from 1-10 where 1 is the lowest quality.
-b audio bitrate.
-bufsize video buffer size.
-minrate minimum bitrate for video.
-maxrate maximum bitrate for video.
-ac number of audio channels.

Example of bitrate/buffer size: 1024k, 2048k, 3072k, 4096k, 5120k and so on. You may want to set a higher value if you have a high upload speed (I have 10mbit so I have set mine to 8mbit).

In advance sorry for grammatical errors, English is not my mother tongue. I might add/explain better and fix layout - right now it is really late though and I will go to sleep. There are several other guides out there that are based upon the same method as this, however some uses an old script which no longer works. This has been tested and works on Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

Also, please use the manual (search by holding shift and pressing /):
man avconv

Oh I forgot, you will need to give the script execute permissions:
sudo chmod +x SCRIPTNAME HERE

Hope it helps.

Yeah I thought that too ?

On 22/07/2017 at 07:33, AJW said:

Bit of a strange one really , I am not that clued up really when it comes to Internet and computering but I have a bit of a problem which when I tell people they look puzzled 

When I turn on my P.C. It knocks everyone else off the internet

we all have phones , I-pads etc  and the boy is never off his Xbox we have sky connected to Internet we have an Amazon stick and the my son as also got something he can stick into his telly that he can watch YouTube on etc and we can all use them together without any issues , but as soon as I put the computer on nobody else can access Internet , and the computer , in my opinion is really slow , we have SKY fibre unlimited , Is there  somewhere in my computer (Windows 10 operating system)  some kind off setting I can change or worryingly is something more sinister going on? The computer I have was only bought last Xmas and it was a  refurbished one

thanks

Any chance of a progress update? What was the problem if diagnosed?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question, sometimes my browser (Microsoft Edge, I had Chrome but I.T rang and told me off) thinks I am in France?

I often get adverts on these boards for say Abode Photoshop etc. which are in French and just now I went to a website and it defaulted the language to French.

Any idea's?

P.S: I'm not in France

You mentioned IT telling you off? Are you in an office? It could be to do with the network settings for your workplace possibly using a French VPN/Proxy network that could mean you're incorrectly seeing French versions of websites/adverts etc.

18 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

You mentioned IT telling you off? Are you in an office? It could be to do with the network settings for your workplace possibly using a French VPN/Proxy network that could mean you're incorrectly seeing French versions of websites/adverts etc.

Yer, it's whilst I am at work. I.T here don't like Chrome (annoying)

If they are using a FrenchVPN/Proxy network, I'm guessing I can't do anything to change the language?

Most websites have many different language options so where possible use the .co.uk/.com versions as these are United Kingdom/American domains so will use English, french versions of websites such as google/amazon etc will use .fr at the end instead. 

Archived