BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

32 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've been in football for a long time and, in reality with the league being 46 games, the best managers won't want their teams peeking until 6/7/8 or even upto 10 games into the season. 

Southend are one of the best teams in the league, sunny day, full house, big club coming to town...what motivation for the players. Plus they've lost their previous 2 seasons first few games.....it was 2-1, not a drubbing. Browny is a good manager, Mowbray not sure of his best team as yet......

Not worried. ....................Yet :brfc:

Exactly though I don't think we had the best preseason in relation to opposition we played, albeit this was a factor as I disagree about the fight commitment comments it was a dozy performance, mentally and physically slow.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was thinking this actually. Lenihan and Mulgrew are converted midfielders. Would the two of them be better actually in midfield? We are lacking an imposing centre half, no doubt. Think Kevin Moran, Andy Todd, Samba. Will Lenihan ever play midfield again? Him and Smallwood would be two battlers in there. As for Mulgrew, he converted to centre half very late and  while cultured, there are plenty of fortunes in the league I would imagine. We need a rough scrapper, simple as that 

I've said all week we need a proper centre half. 

Mulgrew could have been accommodated in centre midfield but we have brought a lot in to play there now. He's a better left back than Williams though.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

If we're going to offski anyone then I'd offski Evans and buy a centre-half. Mulgrew or Lenihan can then move into midfield. I'd actually be tempted to sign 2 combative experienced centre-halves and send Wharton out on loan.

To be honest I was thinking of Evans when I said that although I know he could be a good player in this league we need to build up from the back and there's quite a few options for midfield now including the 2 present centre halves. There's ward as well, not sure where he stands in all this but he's probably on decent wages.

Just now, tomphil said:

To be honest I was thinking of Evans when I said that although I know he could be a good player in this league we need to build up from the back and there's quite a few options for midfield now including the 2 present centre halves. There's ward as well, not sure where he stands in all this but he's probably on decent wages.

Yesterday was exactly the type of game where we needed Lenihan in midfield. He can get about the pitch, puts a tackle and can protect the back four. Not sure Whittingham possesses any of those qualities when we're under the cosh against a good team. Horses for courses you'd like to think.

Absolute shambles yesterday. Most worrying was the lack of passion and fight, as if they aren't playing for the manager and for each other, don't remember us having another chance after we scored the free kick. Horrible day.

The 2 full backs were horrendous, Caddis has to play v Doncaster and I'm not sure Williams is even good enough at this level.

Defensively shambolic, and we had our first choice defence out, why has Mowbray not got them drilled, both goals were amateur to say the least.

Samuel, albeit playing wide in a very strange decision again by the manager, was hopeless, really left a bad first impression, but why was he not put up front at any point when we was chasing an equaliser.

Smallwood was hopeless aswell, his passing was terrible. There was no movement at any point during the match going forward, we never looked like scoring.

Not good.

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yesterday was exactly the type of game where we needed Lenihan in midfield. He can get about the pitch, puts a tackle and can protect the back four. Not sure Whittingham possesses any of those qualities when we're under the cosh against a good team. Horses for courses you'd like to think.

Agreed and most away games probably need a big strong presence in the middle as on rough pitches and agricultural tactics it's mostly about winning the first and second balls rather than knocking it about in league one I reckon.

If you've got a flair player in there they always need a minder or two not a midget alongside them.

I wonder would it be fair to suggest that the players were suffering from some kind of 'my shyte smells grand' syndrome and weren't expecting to have to fight for it? It looked that way with a lot of 'em.

knock on wood that yesterday acts as a necessary wake up call rather than a marker for the rest of the season. Here's hoping.

4 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

My God do we need a response against Donny to calm the nerves.

Recent history tells us that, even if we beat Donny, we'll consider it "job done", with the next match being a rolling over effort.

I really hope I'm going to be wrong about that this season, but we are losers. Despite Mowbray who, let's not forget, has been a vast managerial improvement on what we've had in recent years, we are still declining.

It's horrible. Come on Rovers, we need to sort it out.

2 hours ago, den said:

I'm not really disagreeing with that Parson, - just that "this league being tough" shouldn't even come into it. It isn't tougher than the two leagues above this one, that's for sure. 

If we're losing games it's down to the players not being good enough. 

I think the leagues are tougher as you go down. We see very little physical contact in the PL, more is allowed in the Championship and so on. Several people around us commented yesterday on the number of physical challenges we lost or didn't even compete for. One example late on in the was when Mulgrew should have steamed in to a challenge in front of the Rivers fans. You could see the shock on his face when the Southend player thundered in and Mulgrew bottled it. I actually heard Mulgrew make some kind of pitiful pained noise but after semi hobbling for a few seconds he carried on. That is an example what I understand to be more physical.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I think the leagues are tougher as you go down. We see very little physical contact in the PL, more is allowed in the Championship and so on. Several people around us commented yesterday on the number of physical challenges we lost or didn't even compete for. One example late on in the was when Mulgrew should have steamed in to a challenge in front of the Rivers fans. You could see the shock on his face when the Southend player thundered in and Mulgrew bottled it. I actually heard Mulgrew make some kind of pitiful pained noise but after semi hobbling for a few seconds he carried on. That is an example what I understand to be more physical.

My reading of it is den's definition of tough is different to what you're saying. I took his comment as meaning "difficult".

Just now, MGPensioner said:

no proven striker still?

As Tyrone suggested earlier, you build a successful team on a solid defence. We have a proven goalscorer in DG, we just need to get the ball to him in the box. Yesterday we just lumped it to him 40 yards from goal by all accounts.

51 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'd be very surprised if an manager was happy with a poor start to the season. We didn't win until  7 or 8 games into last season and we went down.

Mourinho used to win the league with Chelsea by starting like a house on fire and never letting up. Fergie admitted as much on more than one occasion.

No point 'peeking' after 10 games if you've lost the first nine.

In what capacity are you 'in' football?

You kind of took my words out of context. I never said any manager would be happy to lose games. Mourinho and his money is no way to compare our situation. 

You mention Fergie, perhaps the best manager ever......some would say his teams didn't peak until after Christmas at the business end of the season. Fitness wise most professional footballers will be completely up and match sharp by game 10. Whether they win lose or draw in that time is another argument.

And it's none of your business what I do for a living  

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I am about to break my three Season exile at Ewood,I have my ticket for Donny.

To say I am now apprehensive and nervous about what I am about to bare witness to is an understatement.This side is Alien to me.

What made you change your mind?

52 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

If we're going to offski anyone then I'd offski Evans and buy a centre-half. Mulgrew or Lenihan can then move into midfield. I'd actually be tempted to sign 2 combative experienced centre-halves and send Wharton out on loan.

If yesterday was a true reflection of Whittingham's ability, I don't think we'd have any other choice than to play Mulgrew in midfield.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

If we bomb in the next few games like we did at Carlisle and Southend he will be gone.  His position would be untenable.

No point getting your hopes up. The next fall guy will be another doss loser who needs his mortgage paying. The band line-up changes, the recording studio gets a new lick of paint, the groupies are different...  but the song remains the same. 

It's like worrying if we'll be able to replace pee wee Herman with inspector clouseau at the controls of a blimp with the ass ripped out of it and a bunch of radioactive chimpanzees toting ak47s running amok with a job lot of marbles in the control room. 

Incoherent formation? Check

Lack  of fitness? Check

Lack of heart? Check

Signing dossers? Check

Shipping goals? Check

Manager not exerting a positive influence? Check

This nonsense has been going on for years. There's no point in hoping it will magically get better until Venky's go. It's a clear pattern. And a clear trend. There's no heartbeat left in the club because all the people on the inside who cared and who could influence it have been pushed out. Well keep on falling until Venky's go and if you believe otherwise then you're a fool to yourself

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolute shambles yesterday. Most worrying was the lack of passion and fight, as if they aren't playing for the manager and for each other, don't remember us having another chance after we scored the free kick. Horrible day.

The 2 full backs were horrendous, Caddis has to play v Doncaster and I'm not sure Williams is even good enough at this level.

Defensively shambolic, and we had our first choice defence out, why has Mowbray not got them drilled, both goals were amateur to say the least.

Samuel, albeit playing wide in a very strange decision again by the manager, was hopeless, really left a bad first impression, but why was he not put up front at any point when we was chasing an equaliser.

Smallwood was hopeless aswell, his passing was terrible. There was no movement at any point during the match going forward, we never looked like scoring.

Not good.

Unfortunately that's a very good summation. Not much more to add other than there surely has to be a big improvement next week. 

Archived