BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

Really surprised at the pedigree and quality of some of their players. We've seen ourselves that having big names in the lower divisions isn't necessarily something to be fearful of, but it's obvious that this stands out as one of the tougher fixtures we're likely to have all season, on paper at least.

I'd probably take a draw, but a win would make a great statement of intent. 1-3 Rovers

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Really surprised at the pedigree and quality of some of their players. We've seen ourselves that having big names in the lower divisions isn't necessarily something to be fearful of, but it's obvious that this stands out as one of the tougher fixtures we're likely to have all season, on paper at least.

I'd probably take a draw, but a win would make a great statement of intent. 1-3 Rovers

Seriously I am not having this, we are now in div1 and people are saying they would take a draw? against Southend??

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Has there ever been a more grim looking opening day fixture? (in my lifetime)

Still can't believe we are on League One

Still welcome to the good old days forget about the game being changed this is just how it was y'know 40 years ago when men where men, agents didn't exist, players got paid minimum wage and fitness conditioning was a pint of bitter and  a pack of scratchings. Forget academies and training grounds this is real football.

19 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Seriously I am not having this, we are now in div1 and people are saying they would take a draw? against Southend??

This is what we must fear the most..an acceptance of utter mediocrity.

Winning EVERY game in this league must be the mantra,players and fans alike.

32 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

I'd take nothing less than automatic promotion. My point was more that this looks a much trickier fixture than most of us would've thought when it first came out (only Southend, who are they? etc.).

Opening day can throw up some strange results, we can draw this game and still get promoted mid April.

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Still welcome to the good old days forget about the game being changed this is just how it was y'know 40 years ago when men where men, agents didn't exist, players got paid minimum wage and fitness conditioning was a pint of bitter and  a pack of scratchings. Forget academies and training grounds this is real football.

Worse than that... another couple of years of Venkys, and League One 2017/18 could yet be referred to as the good old days!

2 hours ago, Blow-in said:

Perspective mate. We aren't going to go the full season unbeaten are we let's be honest, I remember on the first day last season Sheff united lost away at an average side and were the only team to let my coupon down for a good couple of hundred quid, they went on to win the league comfortably. We have the best squad in this league yes but Southend are one of the better sides in this division and going there on the first day of the season won't be easy and a draw wouldn't be a bad result in my opinion, It's the first game of the season, the team needs time to find its stride. There won't be many walk overs away from home in this league believe me mate. We should be looking to win this game of course but I'm not having it that a point would be a bad result. 

8 minutes ago, Butty said:

Perspective mate. We aren't going to go the full season unbeaten are we let's be honest, I remember on the first day last season Sheff united lost away at an average side and were the only team to let my coupon down for a good couple of hundred quid, they went on to win the league comfortably. We have the best squad in this league yes but Southend are one of the better sides in this division and going there on the first day of the season won't be easy and a draw wouldn't be a bad result in my opinion, It's the first game of the season, the team needs time to find its stride. There won't be many walk overs away from home in this league believe me mate. We should be looking to win this game of course but I'm not having it that a point would be a bad result. 

I am not saying I want to win every game. I am saying setting out our stall with a "I'm happy with a point against southend" in our first game is embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

I am not saying I want to win every game. I am saying setting out our stall with a "I'm happy with a point against southend" in our first game is embarrassing.

Southend are likely to be a top six side. I am sure Chelsea would be happy with a draw at Arsenal. We have to put things into perspective. Mowbray won't set his team up to sneak a point but come the end of the game and end of the season a point might well seem like a good result

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Worse than that... another couple of years of Venkys, and League One 2017/18 could yet be referred to as the good old days!

Nah that'll be the 2013/14 season B)

3 hours ago, Blow-in said:

I'm inclined to agree.

We will obviously win, lose and draw over the course of the season (hopefully significantly more of the former) but there is not one single team in this division I'd be happy to draw against before a ball is kicked.

I'm not being bolshy there's no duckeggs in that league most know how to scrap & when to. That's without being negative as I still maintain we will do well. Rolling back the years would like a Todd in there defending & a combative midfielder of a batty vintage.

1 hour ago, sweeneybrfc said:

Me and a few mates have crumbled to pre-season promotion optimism and are buying tickets for Southend today.

Anyone know how many tickets we've sold so far?

I phoned up and bought ours this morning. I thought there would be a queue at 9am given this new enthusiasm but straight through.

I asked how many were left and the girl said loads. Local games and east anglia on a Tuesday night aside I think we have a core following of about 1000 and don't deviate much from that. 

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:17, Mattyblue said:

Port Vale? Our first game after relegation in '99.

I think we drew that 0-0 followed by an away defeat 1-3 at Huddersfield. I was in Greece for both games, but managed to watch the Huddersfield game on TV. If I am not mistaken Marcus Steward got a couple. It was after that defeat that I knew we were in for a hard season.

I have no idea what the score will be, I can't even name our first 11 at the moment....... and I know nowt about Southend either, does Brett Angell still play for them?

I was going to go until I saw that smirking venky **** on the pitch at Barrow and I came to my senses.

I hope we win, especially for the travelling fans, but anyone who thinks this season will be a walk in the park is sadly mistaken.

Archived