BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It doesn't really help when local media and some supporters revel in and promote the idea that Rovers were a 'struggling' 2nd division club before Jack Walker came along. Its only going one step further for these other fans to believe we were a 3rd division club before Walker arrived. I think only twice in the decade prior to Walker's takeover did Rovers finish in the bottom half of the 2nd division with about 6 top 6 finishes. A different way to approach it would be to say Rovers had been knocking on the door of the 1st division for most of the decade and then Walker's money enabled us to take that final step to get up.

I'm not really interested in the financial/crowd aspect of the time as the vast majority of clubs in those days were struggling for gates/income in dilapidated grounds. Rovers certainly weren't alone in that regard. Even so-called giants of the game were getting low gates.

Utterly bizarre that some try to argue that a decline to the 3rd division is/was inevitable once Jack Walker's money/influence disappeared as we were a strong 2nd tier side before Walker was heard of around Ewood, and that's without the wonderful stadium, training ground and reputation he left us with.

Sure even Newcastle were known to have sub-10k gates at that time. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Suffolk Blue has us playing against Bolton last year to justify his point about our away followings. The dullard should realise that his own team played them twice last season in League One.

What a load of nonsense them lot are spouting. You wouldn't be far wrong from saying they sound a little jealous about our years at the top. We spent over a decade in the best league in the world while they've been etching a living away in the lower leagues for generations.

We are probably the biggest club to come to their cowshed in years so they should be grateful we are even bothering to come. There's nowt I can get in Southend I can't get in Blackpool: food poisoning, shocking ale and a set of clowns to keep me entertained.

More than fired up for this game after some of their 'unreasonable', 'arrogant' posters.

Isn't Phil Brown that mush who couldn't mingle it with the big boys a few years ago? Does he still wear that ear piece?

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Sure even Newcastle were known to have sub-10k gates at that time. 

Stoke v Rovers I went three seasons on the bounce when MacKay was our boss  and their home fans in the ground were c9k, 6k, 6k before you add on our contingent which as a matter of fact was roughly 5k, 1.5k, 3k. respectively.

West Brom, Leicester and the like often got similar home turn outs back then so I suppose that makes them 3rd division fodder with crap support before their respective benefactors arrived !

So much inaccurate crap gets put about regarding Rovers and in particular the fans even decades later just because we got up the establisments hooters in the mid 90's.  No doubt half of Southend was parading around in UTD shirts back then.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who thought we were languishing in the bottom divisions before Jack came?

That's seems to be a common opinion of fans of other clubs I've encountered over the years. Not from our own admittedly.

I once went to a friendly vs Oldham at boundary park (yorke and cole looked as miserable as humanly possible) and an Oldham fan described his memory of rovers as practically going out of the football league before Walker came along. Bizarre.  

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

That's seems to be a common opinion of fans of other clubs I've encountered over the years. Not from our own admittedly.

I once went to a friendly vs Oldham at boundary park (yorke and cole looked as miserable as humanly possible) and an Oldham fan described his memory of rovers as practically going out of the football league before Walker came along. Bizarre.  

Probably somehow mixing us up with the Clarets. They were once Burnley Rovers of course and it was them that almost did that of course.

Just had a read of their forum on the link. I think Leoblue is in for a surprise with his 500 prediction for our away following. Ive just read on the Rovers fans FB page that 1500 have already been sold.

I see the misconception about our 'small' away followings is being peddled on there. Under Mowbrays tenure in the final third of last season we consistently took 1500. If we do get off to a good start, combined with the novelty of new grounds, then these clubs will be in for a surprise re our away followings.

i know it's already been pointed out but one of their posters erroneously described us as 'division 3 fodder pre jack walker.' We hadn't been in division 3 for 10 years prior to jack, and only 5 prior seasons have been spent outside the top 2 divisions in our 142 year history! 

That being said I take their point about arrogance being displayed by some of our fans. I don't like to see it; it isn't so much on here but on various league 1 fans forums on FB. The likes of Southend are real and traditional football clubs with proper football fans; I have far more respect for them than the 'fans' of some of the premier leagues biggest clubs. I wish some of our fans, particularly some of the younger element, would treat this league with respect; karma has a wonderful way of coming back to haunt!

I have a feeling we are going to have to get used to it in this league.

Around half this famous old clubs long and proud history spent in the top flight of English football....over 70 years.

The most successful Town Club in the UK,12th most successful football Club in England.

So to fans of Southend or anyone else...that's not arrogance,it's fact and we stand proud regardless of what those two hats in Pune are doing to us.

6 minutes ago, david brent said:

Ive just read on the Rovers fans FB page that 1500 have already been sold.

I see the misconception about our 'small' away followings is being peddled on there. Under Mowbrays tenure in the final third of last season we consistently took 1500. If we do get off to a good start, combined with the novelty of new grounds, then these clubs will be in for a surprise re our away followings.

1,500 is a good effort with a week to go. Generally, I still reckon other than a few games (mainly local ones) we will not sell out the vast majority of allocations. These are the league one away allocations:

AFC Wimbledon 725

Blackpool 2,500

Bradford 1,840

Bristol R 1,100

Bury 2,000

Charlton 3,000

Doncaster 3,344

Fleetwood 831

Gillingham 1,500

MK Dons 3,000

Northampton 1,223

Oldham 3,750

Oxford 5,000

Peterborough 1,800

Plymouth 2,022

Rochdale 1,500

Rotherham 2,500

Scunthorpe 1,678

Shrewsbury 1,800

Southend 2,000

Walsall 2,000

Wigan 4,800

AFC Wimbledon and Fleetwood aside even the ones we do sell out will go deep into general sale. But as for the 500 prediction I'm sure we'll be nearer a 1,500 following than a 500 in most games this season regardless of form.

9 minutes ago, david brent said:

That being said I take their point about arrogance being displayed by a some of our fans. I

I agree on this. There's one on here who thinks we're going to "steamroller" the league, which besides being deluded is insulting to the rest of the teams. 

Some of those are just initial allocations, no?

Take Bradford; sure you can have one of the ends and up to half of one of the side stands?

But I agree, unless we are flying I can't see us suddenly taking 2/3000+ away every week, when we've generally had an 800 or so hardcore for non local games for years.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I agree on this. There's one on here who thinks we're going to "steamroller" the league, which besides being deluded is insulting to the rest of the teams. 

Agreed Jim.

Also on a footballing note they refer to Stephen Hendrie. I am not usually one to criticise former players however he was absolutely woeful for us! He offered nothing and seemed to be incredibly slow - the epitome of a player who has made it to this level because he is left footed! He played bereft of any confidence; maybe there were things going on behind the scenes?

I appreciate West Ham bought him for £1 million so somewhere previously in his career he must have shown some ability! 

Surely he must be the only Scottish Million pound full back (maybe even player) without a full international cap?! One for the stato's to look into! 

5 minutes ago, david brent said:

Agreed Jim.

Also on a footballing note they refer to Stephen Hendrie. I am not usually one to criticise former players however he was absolutely woeful for us! He offered nothing and seemed to be incredibly slow - the epitome of a player who has made it to this level because he is left footed! He played bereft of any confidence; maybe there were things going on behind the scenes?

I appreciate West Ham bought him for £1 million so somewhere previously in his career he must have shown some ability! 

Surely he must be the only Scottish Million pound full back (maybe even player) without a full international cap?! One for the stato's to look into! 

He had a good season at Hamilton I think and then West Ham swept him up for stupid money, even though in todays market it's probably the equivalent to a couple of quid. My university house mate is a die hard West Ham fan and he highly recommended him based on the assumption around West Ham fans they'd signed a good player. I think he flattered to deceive in the pub league SPL and when he came to a higher standard here found himself out of his depth. It says something when they simply released him after such an outlay - you'd have expected to see some sort of fee involved for the sum they bought him. 

For him to drop straight back to small time Southend says it all and I'd relish it should Feeney get against him 1 on 1. I'd expect to see a lot of crosses from that wing. I'd have loved to see Mahoney line up against him as I'd be expecting to see Hendrie on the floor for 90 minutes but hey ho.

On 29/07/2017 at 17:50, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya 

Caddis Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Whittingham

Bennett         Dack              Gladwin

Graham

No Nyambe?Thought you where a fan of his?I'd have Nyambe instead of Caddis

• Backroom
43 minutes ago, david brent said:

Agreed Jim.

When even a numpty like Coyle won't play you, you must be @#/?!

One way or the other, some posters on here or on there are going to be seriously eating their own words come Saturday evening! Too much confidence on both sides.

Graham to get 4, Nuttall to get 2 and then Whittingham to score a 45 yard free kick. He celebrates by taking Brown's ear piece and phoning him 11 ambulances for the beating his side has just took.

We take over the pier, Chaddy drops the 2p machine and puts it towards Omar Bogle and Tony Mowbray buys us all fish and chips. We get home in 5 hours as there's no traffic on the M1 and the 50mph speed limit on the M6 is taken away for 3 hours.

Wouldn't say I'm overly confident though.

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Some of those are just initial allocations, no?

Take Bradford; sure you can have one of the ends and up to half of one of the side stands?

Given Bradford's large season ticket holdings I don't think away clubs will be getting big allocations there. I think last season they moved the away end from the side stand to the shed-like structure behind the goal, which is only quite small and very primitive. I'd expect we'll get that stand as our entire allocation, which comes to about 1,800.

All in all I expect we'll struggle to fill the away ends at Charlton, Gillingham, Oxford, MK Dons, Peterborough, Doncaster, Wigan and Blackpool due to substantial allocations or distances. Of course if we're in 1st place then I'd expect us to go close to selling out the lot of them. Northampton, Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Bradford, Shrewsbury etc. I'd expect us to fill as the allocations there aren't massive and there will be a lot of interest in those fixtures as local derbies or new grounds.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Given Bradford's large season ticket holdings I don't think away clubs will be getting big allocations there. I think last season they moved the away end from the side stand to the shed-like structure behind the goal, which is only quite small and very primitive. I'd expect we'll get that stand as our entire allocation, which comes to about 1,800.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2017/july/bradford-city-v-rovers---ticket-and-travel-information/

You;re right, initial allocation 1217 to be exact.

Archived