BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

19 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I took that to be a joke by someone on their message board.

But it has made me wonder how many fans have actually joined the 1875 club? Anyone got any idea.

Presumably the main advantage of joining is for non season ticket holders who want to have a better chance of getting tickets for away matches. 

Thats why I have joined it ( and to not pay the extra £2 on match days). I haven't got a ST this season because of work but still hope to make most games. Over the season it seems well worth the £15 cost

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But even so 6th out of 20-odd teams was a strong effort. Not just once but 7 times in the space of 11 years between promotion in 1980 and the Dalglish/Walker promotion in 1992.

Regardless of how far off automatic promotion we were etc. that kind of performance over a decade is impressive, and makes a mockery of the oft peddled line about Rovers being a 'struggling' 2nd division club as though every season was a long hard slog against a drop into the 3rd division.

For a modern day comparison I'm not sure who in the Championship can boast such regular, consistent finishes in/around the top 6. I suppose Derby would be the modern day comparison, as for the last 4 seasons or so they have been in/around the play-offs regularly but haven't quite got over the line yet. Sheffield Wednesday have become the 'nearly men' in the last couple of seasons. I doubt anyone would describe those two clubs as 'struggling' 2nd division sides yet they occupy similar territory now to that Rovers occupied for the majority of the 1980s.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

We were a struggling second division side in that it was a perennial struggle to compete financially and that shows you how wonderfully well Bob Saxton & Don MacKay did. 

Certainly I have only come to appreciate Bob Saxton's efforts fully as the years have passed, rather like an album that was undervalued at the time but gets re-evaluated in later decades

Remember that there wasn't such a thing in his time as "making the play-offs" being regarded as a heroic near-miss and therefore a partial success  

As I mentioned earlier a final place of sixth, which may as well have been light years distant from the automatic berths, in 1985 was achieved against a backdrop of utter disinterest from the Rovers public with the final home game v Cardiff on a rainy Bank Holiday Monday played out before an all-time low league gate of 3,100.  

Just once under Saxton & once under Mackay we narrowly escaped the drop. 

At one point we held the distinction Ipswich hold today of being the most constant Second Division club.

But the fact that Ipswich's tenure is so remarkable in itself tells you that clubs don't stay even at what some regard as their "natural level" for any  permanent length. 

Sooner or later the laws of Football physics dictate you'll go up or down. Only 6 clubs of all the clubs that have ever been in the Premier League (plus relative newcomers Bournemouth)   Haven't been relegated from it. 

Ipswich at the moment are exactly us without the batty owners. Skint struggling to stay competitive, an owner not wanting to invest and decent players sold at a half decent bid.

On 24/07/2017 at 15:42, Blow-in said:

Seriously I am not having this, we are now in div1 and people are saying they would take a draw? against Southend??

I'm not having any of this div1 nonsense. 

We're in the 3rd division FFS! :o

I wonder will we go 1 or 2 up top on Saturday?

My team

Raya

Nyambe- Lenihan- Mulgrew(C)- Williams

Whittingham- Smallwood

Feeney   -        Dack      -         Bennett

Super Danny Graham

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder will we go 1 or 2 up top on Saturday?

My team

Raya

Nyambe- Lenihan- Mulgrew(C)- Williams

Whittingham- Smallwood

Feeney   -        Dack      -         Bennett

Super Danny Graham

Think that's probably going to be right, although personally I'd rather have Gladwin in for Feeney, with Bennett on the other side. 

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think that's probably going to be right, although personally I'd rather have Gladwin in for Feeney, with Bennett on the other side. 

Ya, I was thinking that. Feeney looks a good player, until he attempts to cross the ball, a bit of a limitation for a winger. However, we do need pace in the team and hopefully one of his crosses gets on Grahams head. 

On 30/07/2017 at 22:14, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

:lol:

Why spend hours travelling to the poor man's Margate to mix with a bunch of plastic cockneys when beautiful Blackpool is only 30 mins away? - Besides it's Rebellion Festival weekend - and if you prefer your music more like the weather (a bit wet) you can just pop down the road to Lytham Festival.

Southend I shall not be a going.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I was thinking that. Feeney looks a good player, until he attempts to cross the ball, a bit of a limitation for a winger. However, we do need pace in the team and hopefully one of his crosses gets on Grahams head. 

He's looked decent in pre season to be fair, and definitely agree about the lack of pace elsewhere. Maybe he'll come into his own at a lower level. 

Having said that, I don't think there's ever been another Rovers player who gets in a crossing position, and I don't feel any sense of anticipation whatsoever that there might be a goal off the back of it. 

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

He's looked decent in pre season to be fair, and definitely agree about the lack of pace elsewhere. Maybe he'll come into his own at a lower level. 

Having said that, I don't think there's ever been another Rovers player who gets in a crossing position, and I don't feel any sense of anticipation whatsoever that there might be a goal off the back of it. 

No, I watched a few pre-season games and the amount of times he put a cross over the bar or into the keepers hand was extremely high. Maybe he should aim to put it over the bar or into the keepers hand and see what happens. 

Other than crossing, his game is pretty solid. Like we agree on though, it's a bit of a problem for a winger! 

29 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Not interesting at all. They are obsessed with how many will attend the game and show very little knowledge of their own players, let alone ours. I would not like to be getting beat by teams like this. 

Raya

Caddis Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Evans Whittingham

Feeney Dack Bennett

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Ward, Nyambe, Smallwood, Tomlinson, Gladwin, Samuel

Had to put Feeney in because otherwise we are desperately lacking pace. For me, that has to be our next priority.

Squad looks very thin, not convinced we have any game changers on the bench.

Safe to say that if either of the centre backs dont start, they will be off and Mowbrays integrity will be very much in question.

Need to look to win, on paper there is no reason at all why we cannot. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Evans Whittingham

Feeney Dack Bennett

Graham

Had to put Feeney in because otherwise we are desperately lacking pace. For me, that has to be our next priority.

Safe to say that if either of the centre backs dont start, they will be off and Mowbrays integrity will be very much in question.

I think your selected team is missing something quite important in this league - a tackler! Bar Lenihan there isn't a tackle in that team! 

I think we need a significant element of aggression in this league particularly away at teams like Southend.

3 hours ago, des said:

a win a great start ,   a draw not bad and  if we lose need to do better lol

If we lose we can say loudly and proudly (on the positivity thread) - "the last (and only) time we lost to Southend was a season in which we were promoted" -

Get your excuses in early.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Evans Whittingham

Feeney Dack Bennett

Graham

Gladwin had a better pre season on the left and Feeney hasnt be brillant from the games Ive seen. 

Smallwood would start instead of Evans. Smallwood and Whittingham seems to have a good partnership abd contrast each other..

Archived