BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

Personally, I'm sick to death of hearing and reading about folk with different opinions knocking spots off one another and attempted point scoring about attendance or not. For whatever reason Venkys don't appear to be going anywhere in the short term, either go to games or don't but stop bleating on about it whichever way.

At the end of the day the signings we've made are questionable (IMO) in terms of ability whether they're any good or not, even at this level.

What is important is that they show pride in the blue and white halves and at the very least work their @#/? off for 90 minutes.

After all that's occurred in the past 7 years, 1600 supporters made a 540 mile round trip today at great expense and have been sadly let down by an abject performance. They and we in general deserve so much better. I'm amazed the players didn't respond to that fantastic following. All the world loves a trier!

As many have said, it's a marathon not a sprint but surely to Christ we should have come out of the blocks all guns blazing today to throw down a marker. The fact we left Southend lucky to escape a 5-1 drubbing doesn't surprise me unfortunately but saddens me immensely and says a great deal about our playing stock and particularly their levels of motivation.

I so want the club to turn the corner and will support them home or away whenever I'm able. My heart says we'll do well this season based on the fact that we're Blackburn Rovers but my head sadly tempers that in so much as we'll never succeed whilst we're still a shambles off the field and history counts for nowt.

A bit of a rambling post I suppose but a strong centre half, character and captain in the Martin Keown mould is desperately needed to galvanise the team on the field. Someone to shake his fist at his team mates and shout "look like you want to play for THE Rovers!" and lead by example would make a world of difference.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Ok ...we ve just got beat ..only 2-1 ...away ..by a team who is tipped to be up there ..on day one ..with 45 games to go ..i take it our season is over ??

Yes, but it sounded like such an awful, disjointed performance with no momentum.

I don't think Rovers turned up. The fans did though!

9 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Ok ...we ve just got beat ..only 2-1 ...away ..by a team who is tipped to be up there ..on day one ..with 45 games to go ..i take it our season is over ??

It wasn't nessarily the score, the performance was a shambles from start to finish. That's the worry

10 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

No Its not but Darren rovers summary is right. We have been building up to this for 3 months, listening to all the positivity, mood of optimism around the Club yada yada.

TM goes on ad nauseum about the owners backing his plan and budget. He makes remarks about how well we have recruited and then they  cave in on day one because somebody was up and at 'em.  Its pathetic. Its not over of course its not- but the noise and sh1t that comes out of this Club aided and abetted by that puppet at the LT is never backed up by actions. Its always gonna do this , gonna do that, in it together blah blah when the truth is anything but.

If as Darren says we had a Jim Branagan out there today , half of these wouldn't have had the guts to go back in the dressing room after the game.

And that is what we are asking to see. When the Club is the shambles that it has been for 7 years and still is , the least you hope for is blood and guts commitment. Not having that on show is worse than the scoreline itself. 

TM ''We couldnt get our fluency'' FFS -no because we aren't good enough and don't bloody care enough . So you fix it Mowbray, its your job.

14 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

It wasn't nessarily the score, the performance was a shambles from start to finish. That's the worry

but first game ? ..granted 5-6 games into the season and cause for concern ..but day one ?

6 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

This is the point. A defeat is not the end of the world at this stage. But the performance was awful. 3-1/4-1 wouldn't have been unfair. 

There's a lot of work to do. The players should be good enough but today was a big reality check.

10 games in , lets see where we are , not convinced about a lot of things .......

I can see 2 scenarios promotion top 2 or we implode and are fighting for our lives again....

With owners anything can and often does happen.....

Anyone know of a modern day John Mc Namee or Tony Field ? 

Also the first thing we need is a bloody good goalkeeper !   Arise Sir Roger !

Just back home now and still can't fathom or understand the system(s) Mowbray played today. Some of the players looked bewildered too at times. I really believe that Mowbray is over complicating the game with systems that most of these players just don't seem comfortable with. By the way Southend played a simple 4-4-2 and were significantly better than us pretty much all over the pitch.

This league is much more than passing in pretty triangles in areas where you can't hurt your opponents. Players need to match the physicality, commitment and intensity of opponents first and foremost otherwise we will be at the wrong end of the table. Massive wake up call today to the management, players and fans who thought this would be a walk in the park.

That was just embarrassing, Ive never seen anything as bad as that Rovers performance. There is creativity missing in the team. We were playing long balls and just long balls from minute 1 until the end, no game plan AT ALL. We will struggle big time this season. 

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Just back home now and still can't fathom or understand the system(s) Mowbray played today. Some of the players looked bewildered too at times. I really believe that Mowbray is over complicating the game with systems that most of these players just don't seem comfortable with. By the way Southend played a simple 4-4-2 and were significantly better than us pretty much all over the pitch.

This league is much more than passing in pretty triangles in areas where you can't hurt your opponents. Players need to match the physicality, commitment and intensity of opponents first and foremost otherwise we will be at the wrong end of the table. Massive wake up call today to the management, players and fans who thought this would be a walk in the park.

You can count me out of fans that thought this would be a walk in the park. I'm sure there's many others too. 

You have to kick your way out of this league, and we dont have the players to do it. 

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Spot on summary. I listened to Radio Lancashire and we were outplayed for most of the game. Only one game but worrying nevertheless

23 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

2 defeats in a row

redundancies 

another month to sell

bonus for Suhail

I don't know whether I'm alone but I doubt it, you are really starting to get on my wick. We all know your stance, can you give it a rest please.

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

I guess when we got beat at home by Norwich 1-4 in the first game of last season, that was a good yardstick for how things panned out. I hope this match isn't. We will see.

Being favourites for champions is a terrible thing for Rovers to have on their backs. 

Venky's are a terrible thing to have on our backs. 

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A very accurate summary of where this squad is at. I would add that there is a complete lack of pace and the midfield players never got in beyond the ponderous front man (Graham). They rarely played through midfield but humped long balls either up to Graham or non-existent runners in the channels. The midfield thinks it's playing 5 aside football with intricate passing breaking down with poor control and surrendering to robust challenges. Whittingham looks like Murphy Mk 2.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Something that bothered me towards the end of last season particularly the Barnsley game & the home match after, tactics either very naïve or something the players just didn't get.  Every game we are wide open down Nyambes side not helped by the fact he's a bit raw and often caught too far forward from the back line when the ball is in the oppos possession in their half, other managers seem to know this and try and exploit it.

There's a touch of the Bowyer sit deep and let the other side have possession to Mowbrays game plans from what I've seen but I really hope with the fresh midfield recruitment we'd see something different.

Hopefully just first day nerves today but whether they play well or not the back needs tightening up from set pieces as that's how most in this league look to score against the so called better teams.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Something that bothered me towards the end of last season particularly the Barnsley game & the home match after, tactics either very naïve or something the players just didn't get.  Every game we are wide open down Nyambes side not helped by the fact he's a bit raw and often caught too far forward from the back line when the ball is in the oppos possession in their half, other managers seem to know this and try and exploit it.

There's a touch of the Bowyer sit deep and let the other side have possession to Mowbrays game plans from what I've seen but I really hope with the fresh midfield recruitment we'd see something different.

Hopefully just first day nerves today but whether they play well or not the back needs tightening up from set pieces as that's how most in this league look to score against the so called better teams.

I think most people who have a good grasp of the game could watch a match and tell you what formations the team's are playing. Today I hadn't got a bloody clue what ours was. We had no width whatsoever until Feeney came on which gave us some on the right but nothing on the left. The whole thing was as unbalanced and disjointed as it could have been which disappoints me nearly as much as the result.

19 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Possible he's a poor manager.. He took us down remember and left Coventry bottom of league one 

If your elevating the likes of David Lowe to first team duties then you ain't going to do much imo. Looks like Blackburn Rovers and their fans are being shafted once more.

How on earth he played Ryan Nyambe after that Carlisle friendly just goes to highlight what very low standards Mowbray and Venus can have.

Scousers out !

54 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You could tell from the team sheet that it wasn't a balanced side. I also made the same point earlier in the thread about Mowbray's pre-occupation with formations as if he's playing football manager,  yet when it comes down to it his teams can't even get the basics right. Patience will be short-lived if he performs as badly as today on a regular basis. That defeat is on him. He picked the players, picked the team and chose the tactics. Perhaps a bit harsh so early in the season but today was totally avoidable if he'd set the team up to be solid and not thrown the game away playing fantasy attacking football.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Agree with much of this.  Whoever thinks we will walk this League is living in dreamland.  Southend worked hard, had a team that knew what they were doing and in Kightly had the game's outstanding player.  Southend took the initiative right from the start and in many ways our 4-2-3-1 formation allowed them to do so.  We need to find a formation that suits the players and stick to it.  This is a tough, physical League and our players are going to have to up the tempo far more than they showed today.  On a different issue, I thought the referee was very poor - I just hope he is not representative of the standard at this level.  Hugely disappointing, but it's early days and these players need time to develop into a team but this is a massive wake up call for everyone - including the supporters.  League One is going to be far from easy.

First thing a PNE mate said to me was along the lines of if you think championship officials are bad wait till you see this lot.

A well drilled Phil Brown side that just finished outside play offs last year so no surprise they were tough really and i'm sure there's plenty worse teams there for the taking. I said in a post the other day that a few sides in this div seem to somehow afford the wages of some guys who've spent recent seasons at a higher level and still have ability, a comment that was dug out by a know it all as usual but looking at a team like Southend containing Kightly etc shows it clearly.

Archived