BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

Well same @#/?, different players. Mowbray got everything wrong from playing an overly defensive team in a completely winnable game to continuing to play one up front which clearly wasn't working. Graham was useless and won't be playing Tuesday because he is still in Ferdinands pocket. He won nothing and seems more intent on putting the defender off, who won every header than actually challenging for one, dack was garbage, whittingham was anonymous as Samuel would of been if I wasn't constantly watching his atrocious movement and runs . Will someone tell nyambe that if he crosses the half way line he won't explode another who won't take any responsibility when going forward. Smallwood is a malnurished midget version of Jason Lowe who has no strength or ability. Chapman came on and for all his effort fell over the ball and made the wrong decisions in vital areas. The whole team performance bar Raya and mulgrew was as @#/? as that rat pit Southend fans call home.  We where out fought, out thought , out played . We created nothing and should have easily lost by a couple more. I don't usually get carried away and I thought we would lose but kick on and have a good season. This performance was so bad i am genuinely concerned where we go from here. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers just looked clueless at times. Lots of hoof ball and when we had the ball around the area, the players didn't know what to do with it. Scored from a set piece but didn't look like scoring otherwise. Played really well for the first 15 mins of second half but that was it. Defensive frailties and Samuel was awful at best!

It is so hard not to feel that any optimism has blown up in smoke after another abject perfomance that mirrored so many away performances like last season. The opposition goalkeeper barely made a save, we looked less fit than our opponents, we didn't look as hungry as our opponent, we didn't have the same heart as our opponents. Our players aren't world beaters, if they can't match the fitness, hunger or heart of the opponents I just can't believe we have the "ability" to see us to enough victories in this league for promotion, it is time to roll the sleeves up and get a few bloody noses!

It is so frustrating to watch players look so confused playing the formation that is being asked of them. It is even more frustrating that their first goal came from a set piece that Mowbray insists he drilled the players on in training as Southend have used it before, we are in this league now and its hard we have had our awakening now its time to damn wake up!

Just now, cesus said:

It is so hard not to feel that any optimism has blown up in smoke after another abject perfomance that mirrored so many away performances like last season. The opposition goalkeeper barely made a save, we looked less fit than our opponents, we didn't look as hungry as our opponent, we didn't have the same heart as our opponents. Our players aren't world beaters, if they can't match the fitness, hunger or heart of the opponents I just can't believe we have the "ability" to see us to enough victories in this league for promotion, it is time to roll the sleeves up and get a few bloody noses!

It is so frustrating to watch players look so confused playing the formation that is being asked of them. It is even more frustrating that their first goal came from a set piece that Mowbray insists he drilled the players on in training as Southend have used it before, we are in this league now and its hard we have had our awakening now its time to damn wake up!

I'm sick and tired of saying - " Lack of ability is forgiveable, lack of effort isn't " . When is that aspect of our game going to change ?

Today's fixture was a banana skin if I ever saw 1 the nature of this league is you have roll your sleeves up & battle, I've alluded to it many times in earlier posts. Tony needs to tinker with the physicality in terms of selection or further additions.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sick and tired of saying - " Lack of ability is forgiveable, lack of effort isn't " . When is that aspect of our game going to change ?

I just always think Rovers is a "steady number" for the players, extremely well renumerated, "crack pot owners" are to blame so players are never massively rounded on. You only have to look at those released last season only Akpan (Burton) and Greer (Kilmarnock) to my knowledge have even got clubs, the players aren't as good as what we like to think and add that to lack of effort ... it isn't pretty.

Just now, Bluebarley said:

Today's fixture was a banana skin if I ever saw 1 the nature of this league is you have roll your sleeves up & battle, I've alluded to it many times in earlier posts. Tony needs to tinker with the physicality in terms of selection or further additions.

How many of our players , if you were playing against them, would you be looking over your shoulder about ? How many would physically intimidate you ? I can't think of one who would do a John MacNamee on me.

Just now, cesus said:

I just always think Rovers is a "steady number" for the players, extremely well renumerated, "crack pot owners" are to blame so players are never massively rounded on. You only have to look at those released last season only Akpan (Burton) and Greer (Kilmarnock) to my knowledge have even got clubs, the players aren't as good as what we like to think and add that to lack of effort ... it isn't pretty.

It's the lack of effort I find unforgivable. I'd have told the coach driver to set off without the lot of them and left them to find their own way home.

7 minutes ago, cesus said:

As always under Vs a lot of that comes from having no proper board structure and no one with any power here in Blackburn. There's no one to answer to and no one putting the foot down laying down the laws and expectations just a puppet accountant who talks in platitudes as does everyone there then a hidden guy in the shadows who probably says nothing to anyone as he's more interrsted in protecting his own cushy little number that's several hundred levels above his station.

Ewood is definitely the cushiest number in football and it's doesn't take long for people to suss that once they are through the door.

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Haha.... An Oxbridge paper perhaps?

"Stoicism is taking it up the a***."

Discuss in the context of the writings of Zeno of Citium...

Reason.... I'm no philosopher but logic dictates 45 minutes will not sum up our season.

I am just as disappointed as you regarding the previous 7 years but alas, this is still my club and I'll "endure" whatever it throws my way! With a stoic attitude that won't be broken by negligent billionaires!

3 hours ago, alcd said:

Whittingham looks like Murphy Mk 2.

Really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, although I must admit I was a tad concerned about him barely getting a mention during pre-season on how he was performing etc. Hopefully he improves. 

9 hours ago, philipl said:

37 years unbeaten at this level as another Rovers record comes to an ignominious end under Venky's..

We still have one for them to acheive yet.....NEVER played in the 4th division.  Sure they will put a plaque on their office wall for that one.  One could see the body language of our players was all wrong today.  Heads down after the 1st goal, hands on hips well before the end.  Couldn't help but wonder how young Conner would have done coming on after 65 mins.

How bad was that pitch, seen their pitch in highlights and it eas bettrr th#n that, ball eould hardly roll looked like to me.  Wss it.done to stop us playing on the.floor like Moebary says he.wants, is it why we playedy so much long ball.  As I have already mentioned and so have many others the players just did not look up for it at all, and that is a big big worry.

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Something that bothered me towards the end of last season particularly the Barnsley game & the home match after, tactics either very naïve or something the players just didn't get.  Every game we are wide open down Nyambes side not helped by the fact he's a bit raw and often caught too far forward from the back line when the ball is in the oppos possession in their half, other managers seem to know this and try and exploit it.

There's a touch of the Bowyer sit deep and let the other side have possession to Mowbrays game plans from what I've seen but I really hope with the fresh midfield recruitment we'd see something different.

Hopefully just first day nerves today but whether they play well or not the back needs tightening up from set pieces as that's how most in this league look to score against the so called better teams.

No Bowyer was solid to the point almost boring. Said it before but what's happened to our strikers surely can't be Coyles coaching? They could play 180 minutes including Graham and never score. 

19 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

No Bowyer was solid to the point almost boring. Said it before but what's happened to our strikers surely can't be Coyles coaching? They could play 180 minutes including Graham and never score. 

To be fair to Coyle creating chances and scoring goals was never a particular problem under him, it was the fact that no matter how many we scored, we always seemed to let in one more.

It was only the first game yesterday but two things have me concerned already. You can excuse the team needing a little time to gel but if the players didn't look up for it that is inexcusable and inexplicable. If you can't be up for it on the opening day in front of a large travelling support, when can you be?

Secondly, if we are lacking creativity and failing to create chances and score goals, it is not that easy to just click your fingers and put it right. I always think it's easier to tighten up defensively than  to  conjure up flair and creativity which doesn't exist.

When the fixtures came out I bet Big Sam's apprentice was rubbing his hands in glee. Let then play their tippy tappy passing game, we will play a rigid 4-4-2, in your face football, get the ball forward quickly and play the percentages.

Over the last 6 weeks or so, all we hear on the official website is how player A cant wait to team up with player B because he's such a class player, can't wait to show the fans my qualities and then to top it all our latest signing (Chapman) reveals our master plan for the season: press the ball when we lose it, counter attack, stop counter attacks, control the game and wait for it...keep the ball on the floor. (very Keen and Coyle esque).

Message to the players:- Before you come out with all your positive mumbo jumbo clap trap, show us what you can do on the pitch - actions speak louder than words!

7 hours ago, cesus said:

Radio Lancashire commentary said that----we didn't look as fit as our opponents ( why not for God's sake.) and we didn't have any " fire in our belly".

In other words nothing's changed and we are starting another season with ground to make up.

6 hours ago, frosty said:

Really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, although I must admit I was a tad concerned about him barely getting a mention during pre-season on how he was performing etc. Hopefully he improves. 

Me too. Even in his heyday he wasn't the sort of grafting midfielder that gets you out of this Division. He used to be the sort of player that did the damage when the grafters had got the team on top. I suspected the " a season too far " syndrome when we signed him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Archived