BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Southend v Rovers

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How hard is it to organise a good pressing game ? How much pure footballing talent do you need to press the opposition successfully ?      Bloody hell , just give me 11 fit lads whose hearts are in it and we'd win more ball back than our lot !

Yep. Totally. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, TBTF said:

No Pedro. We all get it that its early to be pressing panic buttons. But the alarm is that having had 3 months to prepare for this day , bring his squad together , recruit what he has called 'good players' and tell fans to enjoy our football-that we are so deficient in so many aspects from the first whistle .And a lot of those defects aren't in the category of simply a  bad day at the office. They are basics,  and in most cases things that should be a complete given not optional.

Its the managers job to get that right and rightly there are questions asked about it.

I don't think it is. It's hysteria.

New players are being added almost weekly, they aren't going to instantly gel but for some reason some people seemed to think they would. It may turn out that we are awful but one game in isn't the time to pass judgement.  I'm not panicking yet but pray we learn a harsh lesson, up the energy levels and add to the squad as we must get out of this division the first time of asking.

Finally made it home from the game, (stayed with a pal, didn't walk home). That side won't go up and it's not off the back off one game judgement.

New boys didn't really impress, with special mention to Samuel, who made Gary Flitcroft's debut look like a worldie.

Worryingly, we had them on the ropes for 15 after the goal and Mowbray's sub killed the momentum.

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

Finally made it home from the game, (stayed with a pal, didn't walk home). That side won't go up and it's not off the back off one game judgement.

New boys didn't really impress, with special mention to Samuel, who made Gary Flitcroft's debut look like a worldie.

Worryingly, we had them on the ropes for 15 after the goal and Mowbray's sub killed the momentum.

They remarked on the radio that Smallwood looked angry at his substitution, perhaps for this reason? They also stated that Evans subsequently didn't touch the ball for 20 minutes after coming on! 

Just now, Biz said:

They remarked on the radio that Smallwood looked angry at his substitution, perhaps for this reason? They also stated that Evans subsequently didn't touch the ball for 20 minutes after coming on! 

You're playing centre midfield and you don't touch the ball for 20 minutes ! Jesus wept, Stevie Wonder would do better than that.

17 minutes ago, Biz said:

Can't say I saw anything when I watched it, but Dack certainly wasn't happy to go off. Feeney was a bit more effective than Dack after he came on, so I don't think he can have any complaints.

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bloody hell , just give me 11 fit lads whose hearts are in it and we'd win more ball back than our lot !

I can think of one player on our books recently that had fitness and heart, and who could never be faulted for effort.

There was one small problem with him. The fans hated him because he didn't have the quality.

It's OK talking about heart and fight, but that's irrelevant, really. Quality is king, regardless of how moral we like to think we are.

For me yesterday is not the end of the world like all the fans are stating across social media or wherever. Did I want a win? Of course...But man there are 45 games we played one, we have never and I really can't think of too many seasons where we have started well. My criticism of yesterday was that it was the wrong formation and tactic to play with away from home and that the team has so many new players that looks like a team of individuals, not a team. 

I would have gone with....

--------------Raya---------

Caddis---Lenihan--Mulgrew--Williams

-------Smallwood-----Evans------------

Bennett-------Dack-----------Whittingham

---------------Graham---------

Bring on Feeney, Samuel to use pace on tired legs in the second half. But more importantly away from home you have to have to control the midfield on and off the ball. 

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Southend will beat

most teams at home

you will see... They got to top 6 last year and have got Kightly who I wanted here..

The problem is we aren't 'most teams'. We are probably the biggest club, have spent the most money, have the biggest wage bill and most importantly are under a greater urgency than anyone else to get promoted owing to these owners who will dismantle the club again if we miss out this season and sell anyone/everyone of value like they did in the Championship.

I don't really care whether Southend are one of the best or just a mediocre League One side. Our aim is, supposedly, to get automatic promotion this season and to do that we are going to need to beat top 6 sides away from home.

Southend might well beat most Lge 1 sides at home this season, but we are supposed to be the best, yet they made mincemeat of us.

Not a cat in hells chance of promotion unless something changes and quickly.

Just now, Phil T said:

I can think of one player on our books recently that had fitness and heart, and who could never be faulted for effort.

There was one small problem with him. The fans hated him because he didn't have the quality.

It's OK talking about heart and fight, but that's irrelevant, really. Quality is king, regardless of how moral we like to think we are.

In the immortal words of John MacEnroe. - " You Cannot Be Serious ". Look at the recent Rovers promotion teams. We had quality all right but we had enough players with heart and fight when the occasion demanded it. Did you never see Speedie, Kevin Moran, Flitcroft, Henning Berg etc play ?

Heart and fight comes in several forms out on the pitch. You never saw Eyal Berkovic diving into tackles but what you did get was a player who take the ball in any position and drive the team forward when the going got tough.

Quite agree. More worringly it was all of TMs "good players"he has just signed who didnt look up for it.........as only Raya,Mulgrew and possibly Bennett came out of the game with any credit.

One good suggestion-pick ALL of your signings that are fit,to play against Coventry Tony as we cant risk injuries to the few decent players we have left akaRaya,Mulgrew,Bennett and possibly Graham(a proven goalscorer when service is decent).!!

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Look at the recent Rovers promotion teams. We had quality all right but we had enough players with heart and fight when the occasion demanded it. Did you never see Speedie, Kevin Moran, Flitcroft, Henning Berg etc play ?

You've just completely proved my point by your own admission. Quality is king. It always has been and always will be. All of those players you mentioned were quality. They also happened to have fight and heart.

Aaron Mokoena. Not much quality, could barely kick the ball straight, but heart and fight. Appreciated, but never good enough for a top 6 team.

You said to give you 11 players with fitness and heart. That's no good if they're crap at football. Jason Lowe proves this. Always felt like one of the fittest players on the field. Did he have heart? I think he had more than most. Unfortunately, he was crap, so we all hated him. Your criteria of fitness and heart is nonsense.

1 minute ago, MGPensioner said:

Exactly

fed up of hearing fans making excuses as they dumb down their own expectations just to avoid criticism of the club.

lets be clear. this season the expectation is champions by a mile 

nothing less is success or acceptable

When was the last Rovers match you watched? On what realistic basis, from evidence on the pitch by your own eyes over the last year, hell, even the last 7 years, makes you think we have the right to expect to be champions?

None of us believe it, do we?! So why are you expecting it to happen? Get a grip on reality.

Just now, Phil T said:

You've just completely proved my point by your own admission. Quality is king. It always has been and always will be. All of those players you mentioned were quality. They also happened to have fight and heart.

Aaron Mokoena. Not much quality, could barely kick the ball straight, but heart and fight. Appreciated, but never good enough for a top 6 team.

You said to give you 11 players with fitness and heart. That's no good if they're crap at football. Jason Lowe proves this. Always felt like one of the fittest players on the field. Did he have heart? I think he had more than most. Unfortunately, he was crap, so we all hated him. Your criteria of fitness and heart is nonsense.

Mokoena would be MOM every week in this team.

4 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

I didn't say it was my expectation.

I expect a relegation fight... based on the things you menton.

Based on the @#/? spouted by the club that is the measure of if they are successful this season.

However some fans will make excuses for them and accept 4th, 10th, 17th, just staying up... as success

We ain't at the bottom yet and the ONLY thing which will stop it is if the owners FO.

FYI 2nd season NAPM after almost 40 years

16 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Exactly

fed up of hearing fans making excuses as they dumb down their own expectations just to avoid criticism of the club.

lets be clear. this season the expectation is champions by a mile 

nothing less is success or acceptable

Read what you posted. Your talking about other fans dumbing down their expectations. Whose expectation are you saying it is if it's not yours?

Ive never seen the club say they expect to be champions, let alone "by a mile"

You're having a bit of a 'mare on here today.

9 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

protests are pointless and don't work :rover:

Spot on MG. 7 years of sporadic protesting, and Venkys are still here.

Similar with NAPM. Venkys must be wondering how to cut the cloth in their multi-billion pound business empire.

You can't play against these people like this. They don't care. What is the point of people hurting themselves in the process? Venkys will eventually go at some point, but not soon, and not because of protests and NAPM.

9 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

As you typify what I mean... what is the club expecting this season?

staying up?

Promotion I would guess. If they finish 6th and go up and don't think there will be a major internal inquest.

22 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Similar with NAPM. Venkys must be wondering how to cut the cloth in their multi-billion pound business empire.

You can't play against these people like this. They don't care. What is the point of people hurting themselves in the process? Venkys will eventually go at some point, but not soon, and not because of protests and NAPM.

They'll go when they find another entity to use as a accounting tool in the corporation

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Southend will beat

most teams at home

you will see... They got to top 6 last year and have got Kightly who I wanted here..

Third game in last season they went to Bramall Lane and beat Sheffield Utd 3-0.

Not so much the result as the manner of it. Every team can lose a game but it was a pretty shocking performance - first game of season after relegation i expected a bit of blood and thunder, hard pressing and a glimpse of some slick interplay. Not non league lump it and pub defending whilst looking less interested and less fit than the opponents.

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Disagree entirely - I spoke to a current full time employee of the club and in their own words: "The club is only making 16k profit from a home game and Venky's are having the fund the gap". If you are doing NAPM to try and hit them in the pockets, it's working and they're not enjoying it. 

1 minute ago, J*B said:

Disagree entirely - I spoke to a current full time employee of the club and in their own words: "The club is only making 16k profit from a home game and Venky's are having the fund the gap". If you are doing NAPM to try and hit them in the pockets, it's working and they're not enjoying it. 

But it's got to hurt the owners. Does it?

I suspect it doesn't, despite that interesting info you have. Fan attendance is surely chicken feed for Venkys, nothing more.

If fans don't want to turn up in spite of Venkys, fair enough. Everyone has their reasons. I just don't think it affects Venkys in the way that people like to believe it does.

Reading 4-4-2's season preview on the way back up from the wedding it was interesting to note that Southend are big scalp takers in the division. They convincingly beat a number of the teams at the top of the division last year and have a bit of a rep for it.

It doesn't excuse the performance but perhaps it's not as much of a surprise or disaster as first appears. Still gutted by the result but even Sheff Utd got done by them last season so perhaps not as terrible a result as my initial reaction (Southend for goodness sake).

Still plenty of games to go but obviously this has to be an exception rather than a regular occurrence.

Archived