11 hours ago, skous18 said:

got 4 tickets for myself and some mates

id go with

Raya

Caddis Lennian Mulgrew Williams

Bennet Evans Whittingham Dack

Gladwin

Graham

Swap Bennet for Evans and put feeney on the wing or Bennet for gladwin and I agree. Bennett for me is wasted out wide bit like the cairney conundrum but for me ( granted without seeing dack and gladwin enough to judge) Bennett is our biggest threat and needs to be played centrally where his hard work, strong tackling and long range shots are most effective. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, philipl said:

I got the impression we were likely to be playing without wingers this season.

With Conway now injured, this is likely to be true, even if only for the start of the season.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya 

Caddis Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Whittingham

Bennett         Dack              Gladwin

Graham

Sadly, I think at least one of those two centre backs will have left the club by then.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya 

Smallwood Whittingham

Graham

On what planet is smallwood a better option than Evans?

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

On what planet is smallwood a better option than Evans?

Planet 'Injury Table' ;)

Personally rate them both about the same from what I've seen this preseason.

7 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

@sammatterface: Southend to sign a player that will "turn heads" this week according to manager Phil Brown.

To tell the truth I don't give a damn who Southend sign!

On 7/29/2017 at 17:50, chaddyrovers said:

My team for this game is

Raya 

Smallwood Whittingham

Graham

If Conway isn't fit that's the team I'd go with to

On 23/07/2017 at 09:17, philipl said:

OK might be a bit premature but two weeks from today we will have re-acquainted ourselves with a level of football we all hoped/believed we had left for good in 1980. Here's hoping for a repeat of 1979/80 and not a repeat of 1971/2 (remember that 7-1 hammering at Shrewsbury?). 

Frankly, I have no idea who the Southend players are and these days not much more of an idea about who is turning out for Rovers. 

Actually, that's not totally true. Southend feature Marc-Antoine Fortune whom I remember playing for Celtic against us in a pre-season friendly covered by Celtic TV in truly bizarre fashion with a geriatric pundit and a wee bairn of a lass. Fortune looked an absolute donkey that day against Premier League opponents so a repeat performance pulling kiddies trolleys on the sea front wouldn't go amiss, Another forward Simon Cox sounds vaguely familiar as does Theo Robinson whilst Anton Ferdinand has seen Premier League football somewhere as well as being well-related. Michael Kightley rings a bell from somewhere. The locals seem to rate midfielder Ryan Leonard as he has been their player of the season for the last two years running. For collectors of names, snooker star Stephen Hendrie is good on the cushes while they don't come more honest fish and chips than 'keeper Ted Smith. 

Roots Hall is a tidy proper looking ground with a capacity of 12,392 but might be a bit run down these days as there are plans afoot to move to a new stadium. Southend get reasonable gates at this level and I would be surprised if we take less than 1,000 so it could be a bit cozy and intense. They averaged 7,406 with a high of 10,321 last season. 

The boss needs no introduction being the old Notlobber Phil (aren't I gorgeous in my fake tan) Brown. Expect the half time team talk to take place on the pitch.

Southend started out as the Blue Boar pub team so that can't be bad and they play in Chelsea's hand-me-downs of all blue and white socks so it will be a first outing for our snazzy new old black and red stripes away kit.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jul/23/southend-essex-seaside-arts-festivals-seaside-family-holidays?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=236194&subid=572785&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

A pretentious guide to Southend in today's Observer which prompted me to write this... pretentious, moi? (I can write that without attracting abuse on here these days)

So how will we do?

Is Stan Collymore still playing for Southend these days? I'm afraid I might be a bit behind the times.

Are Match and Shoot magazine still going? <_<

41 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Christ you could almost be forgiven for thinking you'd dropped in on a Burnley forum there, crowd and away following obsessed.

What a bitter lot they appear to be but like one of them says 'welcome to div 3 lads' where the inbred we hate any other club who's ever been slightly better than us because we've always been pants mentality is still thriving since last time we were down there probably.

That was 37 years ago 'lads' not quite 3rd division fodder eh !

10 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

It's utterly bizarre this notion some people have as Rovers being "3rd div fodder" and "back where we belong". Since the first ever league 1888 have spent 5 or 6 seasons in the 3rd tier so hardly at our natural level (although I'll forgive other clubs fans as some of our own fans need reminding of this).

Also 90% of that seems to be about home/away following. For what it's worth I'd conceded our following is poor but I'd be astonished if we didn't sell 1,600 tickets to this.

As for the big club thing. Ha. Most Rovers fans revel in the fact we're a small club who have achieved big big things. The likes of Southend probably haven't played much in the 2nd tier let alone won anything. 

17 minutes ago, matt83 said:

It's utterly bizarre this notion some people have as Rovers being "3rd div fodder" and "back where we belong". Since the first ever league 1888 have spent 5 or 6 seasons in the 3rd tier so hardly at our natural level (although I'll forgive other clubs fans as some of our own fans need reminding of this).

Also 90% of that seems to be about home/away following. For what it's worth I'd conceded our following is poor but I'd be astonished if we didn't sell 1,600 tickets to this.

As for the big club thing. Ha. Most Rovers fans revel in the fact we're a small club who have achieved big big things. The likes of Southend probably haven't played much in the 2nd tier let alone won anything. 

It doesn't really help when local media and some supporters revel in and promote the idea that Rovers were a 'struggling' 2nd division club before Jack Walker came along. Its only going one step further for these other fans to believe we were a 3rd division club before Walker arrived. I think only twice in the decade prior to Walker's takeover did Rovers finish in the bottom half of the 2nd division with about 6 top 6 finishes. A different way to approach it would be to say Rovers had been knocking on the door of the 1st division for most of the decade and then Walker's money enabled us to take that final step to get up.

I'm not really interested in the financial/crowd aspect of the time as the vast majority of clubs in those days were struggling for gates/income in dilapidated grounds. Rovers certainly weren't alone in that regard. Even so-called giants of the game were getting low gates.

Utterly bizarre that some try to argue that a decline to the 3rd division is/was inevitable once Jack Walker's money/influence disappeared as we were a strong 2nd tier side before Walker was heard of around Ewood, and that's without the wonderful stadium, training ground and reputation he left us with.

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It doesn't really help when local media and some supporters revel in and promote the idea that Rovers were a 'struggling' 2nd division club before Jack Walker came along. Its only going one step further for these other fans to believe we were a 3rd division club before Walker arrived. I think only twice in the decade prior to Walker's takeover did Rovers finish in the bottom half of the 2nd division with about 6 top 6 finishes. A different way to approach it would be to say Rovers had been knocking on the door of the 1st division for most of the decade and then Walker's money enabled us to take that final step to get up.

I'm not really interested in the financial/crowd aspect of the time as the vast majority of clubs in those days were struggling for gates/income in dilapidated grounds. Rovers certainly weren't alone in that regard. Even so-called giants of the game were getting low gates.

Utterly bizarre that some try to argue that a decline to the 3rd division is/was inevitable once Jack Walker's money/influence disappeared as we were a strong 2nd tier side before Walker was heard of around Ewood, and that's without the wonderful stadium, training ground and reputation he left us with.

The fact is before Uncle Jack we'd been knocking on the door of promotion to the top division and had to endure numerous play off defeats. So this down on our luck plummeting down the divisions doesn't ring true. Championship (equivalent):

1984 7th

1985 5th

1986 19th

1987 12th

1988 5th

1989 5th

1990 5th

1991 19th

Enter uncle jack

1992 7th (promoted)

Oh and before Jack walker was a glint in the milkman's eye we had won 8 major trophies (2 top divisions, 6 fa cups). But if it in some way comforts some of our own fans and fans of other clubs to think of us as languishing in the bottom divisions before Jack came along then so be it.

I like the way they only look at last seasons crowds and followings and base their theories about our fanbase soley on that, very dingle/North End esqe.

Seeing as the home gates plummeted to their lowest ave in about 26 years on the back of the Venky / Owen Coyle factor i'd say an average away following of over 1000 is decent enough for a club that's been in complete turmoil and almost freefall for 7 years. Lowest ever turn out at Wigan and a poor one at Preston just confirms the mood of the fans.

Archived