BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] When will the next general election be called?

With the Tories in complete disarray, the cabinet at war with each other, manifesto u-turns almost daily and the caretaker prime minister with little or no credibility......

When does everyone think we'll get another general election? 

Corbyn seems to think we'll see one within the year, I for one hope he's right, and with Brexit dividing the Tories still further I bet one or two Tory MP's are hoping he's right to.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope this year but have my doubts. I've heard a senior Tory speaking recently and in summary saying the party is too concerned by the prospect of a Corbyn victory to risk mortally wounding Theresa May.

For me the only possibility is for the is a government defeat in the Commons. Likely? I don't think so. 

Corbyn will win if there is an election. The country has finally had enough. Even got me out on anti Brexit marches!

• Moderation Lead

I suspect it won't be that long away, but I think election fatigue is a real thing right now and people have had enough.

What really is funny is some of the nonsense and basic lies written in the press at the moment about Corbyn and Labour, pretty embarrassing really. Only the most gullible on the planet would believe much of what is said. Though, I think a lot of people just have their prejudices and aren't into discussion, they just want to read things that confirm said prejudices, then not bother talking about it any more.

There are basic lies and untruths written about both sides.  It all depends what you read or who you listen to.  Both sides as bad as each other.

and Paul, you are on anti-Brexit marches but want Corbyn in power who has also said he will deliver Brexit.  Perhaps you should be putting faith in Vince Cable?

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Biddy said:

There are basic lies and untruths written about both sides.  It all depends what you read or who you listen to.  Both sides as bad as each other.

and Paul, you are on anti-Brexit marches but want Corbyn in power who has also said he will deliver Brexit.  Perhaps you should be putting faith in Vince Cable?

Well, yeah I don't doubt that The Guardian and The Mirror are as bad for that, but I rarely read them tbh. I was just citing recent examples of things I'd seen in The Times at my folks' and stuff in The Sun/The Mail/Express I'd seen when at the barber's.

1 hour ago, Biddy said:

Surely I can be anti Brexit and still support Corbyn? I don't know if Brexit can be stopped or not. I do though believe Corbyn represents a real opportunity to address many of the other issues we face. 

Just now, Paul said:

Surely I can be anti Brexit and still support Corbyn? I don't know if Brexit can be stopped or not. I do though believe Corbyn represents a real opportunity to address many of the other issues we face. 

Of course you can.  You just can't stop Brexit by backing Corbyn.

I think Labour are trying not to be toos pecific on tehir Brexit position. They don't want to alienate their core support who voted for Brexit, but they also had core support who voted remain.

From what I recall of what they've said on Brexit, they're opting to come out of the EU whilst safegiarding the rights of EU citizens working an dliving in the UK, maintaining free trade etc. Basically, we'd be members of the EU in all but name.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The country is bored of these elections and voting. 

Expect both sides know this now. 

After Corbyn u turn on university fees and May clueless leadership.

I wont be voting for either party at the minute 

You're scraping the barrel there Chaddy, I don't think Corbyn ever promised to get rid of student debt. It's a bit rich attacking Labour about U turns considering the Tories have abandoned their entire manifesto. 

1 hour ago, den said:

You're scraping the barrel there Chaddy, I don't think Corbyn ever promised to get rid of student debt. It's a bit rich attacking Labour about U turns considering the Tories have abandoned their entire manifesto. 

Didnt attack Labour tho did I?

I attacked all parties and its no wonder why people are so turned off by it and so disinterested by it

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt attack Labour tho did I?

I attacked all parties and its no wonder why people are so turned off by it and so disinterested by it

Is that because the Daily Mail has stopped giving you sound bites to recite?

'Corbyn isn't a leader'

'Corbyn just gives free stuff'

'Abbott is weak'

How have you suddenly gone from being stalwart against any form of Labour rule/die hard blue and all the principles they stand for to so apathetic?

If anything I think people are MORE tuned into politics now than ever as opposed to being 'disinterested' by it. The only people I have heard say are disinterested with elections/polls/referendums/politics in general are pro-Brexit hardline Tory fans; I wonder why the sudden 'disinterest' in choice? Hmmmm...

Andrew Marr has had a pop at both Corbyn and McDonnell in recent weeks over this false truth about Corbyn promising to get rid of all student debt at a cost of some £100bn.

What he said was he'd like to get rid of it and they'll look into it, I found myself shouting at Marr yesterday.

But he did say they'll get rid of tuition fees and that should be applauded, go on you JC, you just need an election win.

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My disinterested comes from the same old people not willing to work to together for the national good..

Bored of the same old stuff.

Ive stopped watching PMQ's now since Cameron went. Its boring.and just a shouting match

And it wasn't a slanging match with Cameron in? Come on...

I think you are on a constant wind up. You have to be.

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And it wasn't a slanging match with Cameron in? Come on...

I think you are on a constant wind up. You have to be.

Less off IMO.

wind up? Cos I had different opinions to other people but yet again certain people start with this cr#p

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Less off IMO.

wind up? Cos I had different opinions to other people but yet again certain people start with this cr#p

Your opinions are what the wind up is. How was there less of a wind up between Cameron & Corbyn than there is between May & Corbyn? In fact, Cameron was the master at putting JC down.

You can't possibly come to the conclusions you do without either being on a wind up or just plain delusional.

5 hours ago, Biddy said:

Of course you can.  You just can't stop Brexit by backing Corbyn.

That's true but I wish it wasn't!! I do feel it's important to make our voices heard and I haven't felt like this since I was a young man.

The sooner May is kicked out the better.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Andrew Marr has had a pop at both Corbyn and McDonnell in recent weeks over this false truth about Corbyn promising to get rid of all student debt at a cost of some £100bn.

What he said was he'd like to get rid of it and they'll look into it, I found myself shouting at Marr yesterday.

But he did say they'll get rid of tuition fees and that should be applauded, go on you JC, you just need an election win.

The reality is a huge chunk of this student debt will never be paid. It was never going to happen and is simply a method of appearing to cut educational costs. It's another ticking time bomb our governments have landed future generations with. 

I haven't followed this one but it might be very wise to write it off now rather than waiting 30 years. 

Tories will cling on for 2 years, get a hard Brexit squeezed through parliament by the skin of their teeth then will fall apart.

Unfortunately I don't think Labour will have done the sensible thing, which is to have appointed a more paliatable successor to Corbyn, like a Kier Starmer or Dan Jarvis.

The other issue around student debt is the interest rate is linked to inflation, Osbourne added 3% to whatever the RPI stand at in March, so many students are seeing 6% interest on current debt which is another scandal. 

Totally agree on student debt, the interest rate is a disgrace, as is the actual level of debt, most people will be stuck with it for 30 years, and a very large chunk will never be paid back. The repayment amount is set at around £900 a year no matter what you earn (once you reach the minimum threshold), so a lot of people who could afford to pay more won't, and more will be written off.

Graduates pay back their university costs over their lifetime in additional income tax, as they earn more (as a group). Anyone who thinks that students with no tuition fees don't already accumulate debts is wrong too, even without tuition fees many will have debts over 10k to deal with in loans, overdrafts etc.

As Theresa May goes on a summer walking holiday in the Alps, Jeremy Corbyn will be out campaigning, visiting 73 marginal constituencies he believes Labour can win in the next election, if he's right it would see him as PM with a 20 seat majority.

Enjoy your holiday Theresa, lets hope this walk has the same outcome as the last - A General Election :tu:

Tories don't like May and are livid with her for mucking up the recent election but they always stick together in times of crisis and at the moment their greatest fear is Corbyn in Downing Street.

I can't see an election any time soon. The Tories have the Commons majority they need to pass legislation after buying off the DUP at a cost of £100m per MP and there won't be any Tory backbench rebellions.

Incidentally, the £1bn DUP deal proves that the "magic money tree" does exist when necessary and shows also that the recent cancellation of northern rail electrification schemes on cost grounds was an act of pure political spite by the Tories,

Archived