BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers best Foreign 18

glen9mullan

40 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Glaucoma?

Look at assists comparison, and I bet gamst pederson has a far better assists ratio than Tugay, yet his last 3 to 4 seasons at the club were met with boos, week in, week out.. Or has time now romanticised him too..?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

Look at assists comparison, and I bet gamst pederson has a far better assists ratio than Tugay, yes his last 3 to 4 seasons at the club were met with boos, week in, week out.. Or has time now romanticised him too..?

You're a busy boy today 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

i prefer flitcroft, batty, Sherwood, dunn, Atkins ffs!

What did we win with Tugay in midfield? Feck all. Theres a reason he remained at rovers you know..

We got to Europe you utter cretin. Only reason he never moved from us is that his age was a risk to other clubs, whereas he had momentum and fan adoration here.

Fergie said if Tugay was 10 years younger, he'd have been at Utd. That's more valid than anything you could say :)

Irrelevant troll.

5 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Friedel

Berg - Nelsen - Samba

Emerton - Tugay - N'Zonzi - Pedersen

Yakubu - Santa Cruz - McCarthy  

J.Jones, Gestede, Ooijer, Martin Olsson, Filan, Roberts, McCarthy

Formation is a bit gung ho, but this would be my 18! Based on Rovers achievements.

Career wise

Friedel

Salgado - Berg - Nelsen - Babbel

Emerton - Tugay - D.Baggio - Djorkaeff

Yorke, Santa Cruz 

Ooijer, Yakubu, Hakan Sukur, N'Zonzi, Neill, McCarthy, Nuno Gomes

No Nils Eric Johansen?

Not what I saw. That's the romanticised version of his game I read again and again. Nonsense.

Regarding Tugay; I recall an instance while at Brockhall, where I sat and watched him floating balls across the width of the pitch into a cooler box, time after time after time after time. The man was capable of doing things with a football that only the very best are, and not many in my time watching Rovers have been. He was a magician on the ball. Did he have an all round game, of course not. But he was something very special. And everyone knew it, and that's why people recall him so fondly, each with their own memories of his talents. There are numerous ex-players I have heard cite him as the best they ever played with. He was mecurial, he was enigmatic, he was on a different level and he was one of ours. To say he was responsible for conceding goals, is akin to looking upon the roof of the Sistine Chapel, and then complaining that the queues were too long. I'd humbly suggest that if you didn't get pleasure from watching Tugay with a football, you should explore another hobby. 

Here's a question for some of the older chaps. How was it Rovers ended up with players like Duncan Mackenzie rocking up for us in div 3. And the likes of Steve archibold and ardiles in div2? And in spite the Venkys could we attract a gem now?

I'm sure the old man said Archibold insisted on the number 8 jersey as we had a reputation for finishing number 9s careers. And Ardiles time at us was cut short by a hatchet job on him by Nicky Marker (who we subsequently signed) when he was at Plymouth. Don't know how accurate that is or urban myth.

14 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Regarding Tugay; I recall an instance while at Brockhall, where I sat and watched him floating balls across the width of the pitch into a cooler box, time after time after time after time. The man was capable of doing things with a football that only the very best are, and not many in my time watching Rovers have been. He was a magician on the ball. Did he have an all round game, of course not. But he was something very special. And everyone knew it, and that's why people recall him so fondly, each with their own memories of his talents. There are numerous ex-players I have heard cite him as the best they ever played with. He was mecurial, he was enigmatic, he was on a different level and he was one of ours. To say he was responsible for conceding goals, is akin to looking upon the roof of the Sistine Chapel, and then complaining that the queues were too long. I'd humbly suggest that if you didn't get pleasure from watching Tugay with a football, you should explore another hobby. 

I was happy watching football under Sam. Football is football to me. Its about getting the best results possible to boast of to less fortunates, as dingles were at that time.

What your talking about makes us sound like little old Southampton with Le tissier or West ham with Di canio. They never did nowt with them in their teams either!

6 minutes ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

I was happy watching football under Sam. Football is football to me. Its about getting the best results possible to boast of to less fortunates, as dingles were at that time.

What your talking about makes us sound like little old Southampton with Le tissier or West ham with Di canio. They never did nowt with them in their teams either!

I take your point, and a lot of the time I would agree. Winning is enjoyable, losing never is. Regardless, in 30 years time I imagine people will still be eulogising over something they remember Tugay doing, while a Big Sam 1-0 over Portsmouth will be confined to the history books. It's the old saying about 'Worth the entry fee alone', and the Turk really was. That's it. 

4 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

I take your point, and a lot of the time I would agree. Winning is enjoyable, losing never is. Regardless, in 30 years time I imagine people will still be eulogising over something they remember Tugay doing, while a Big Sam 1-0 over Portsmouth will be confined to the history books. It's the old saying about 'Worth the entry fee alone', and the Turk really was. That's it. 

I just view football differently to many then. I get @#/? off when players FCK up trying 'something differant', when a simple pass is on.. Others might praise it.

Just now, Saxo4eva42 said:

I just view football differently to many then. I get @#/? off when players FCK up trying 'something differant', when a simple pass is on..

I don't profess to speak for the many. Just how I saw it. We all have our own views. Oh, and Tugay never did 'FCK up' a pass in his life ?

2 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

I don't profess to speak for the many. Just how I saw it. We all have our own views. Oh, and Tugay never did 'FCK up' a pass in his life ?

He Fckin well did! Many a time! Normally right in front of his back 4! Heart in mouth every time he was last man! He had NO concept of 'get feckin rid!' At all!

2 hours ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

i prefer flitcroft, batty, Sherwood, dunn, Atkins ffs!

What did we win with Tugay in midfield? Feck all. Theres a reason he remained at rovers you know..

How many of these got a send of the way tugay had. How many had masks made for there last game. That tells you all you need to know about the genius that is tugay

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

How many of these got a send of the way tugay had. How many had masks made for there last game. That tells you all you need to know about the genius that is tugay

How many winners medals can Tugay show them with rovers?

Non of the players you mention retired as Tugay had incidentally, they transferred, acrimoniously in some cases..

The same as Gary flitcroft.

That may be the case but I struggle to see where your coming from. Even if he gave the ball away like you say, which I don't seem to have the same recollections as you to the extent your stating, the goals, the passes the swagger and control, how he made the game look easy was poetry at times. Characters like him are what make the beautiful game. To ignore all his qualities and highlight his " frailties" is strange and unfair. Alot of well respected names in football talk of tugays genius. Mark noble had him in his greatest premier league 11. I struggle to recall Gary flitcroft getting the same accolade's. Still I suppose he never lost the ball in front of his back four, although he never hit a 35 yard volley either. 

2 hours ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

Roque Santa Cruz my fav, Tugay responsible for as many conceded as scored.

There was no other defensive midfielder in the Premier League that could play like Tugay could

Peter Schmeichel.

I spoke to Sir Alex about him after the game and he was commenting on what a good player Tugay is. I told him that if Tugay was 10 years younger He’d be played for Manchester United and Sir Alex agreed. Given his ability he could play for anyone. The quality he could produce is as good as any I’ve been involved with.

Mark Hughes.

When I was at Blackburn I played with Tugay, the Turkish international who is without doubt the best player I ever played alongside in midfield. He was so incredibly gifted that I knew it didn’t matter where he was on the pitch, if I passed it to him he would a) receive the ball without getting disposed, and B) do something fantastic with it 

Robbie Savage

SR: For me, Tugay was the most creative and exciting player I’d played with. I look at Pirlo and the way he plays now, and he reminds me of Tugay so much. He didn’t necessarily have the most stamina or pace, but on the ball he was unbelievable; he always had time in possession. He was a genius and a really important player for Blackburn Rovers.

Steven Reid

“People say to me, ‘don’t you wish he was 10 years younger?’ My answer is no, because if he was he would be at Barcelona.”

Mark Hughes

“When I was a young kid I played against Blackburn, and he taught me an absolute lesson in how to play midfield.

“I was young and arrogant and I thought, 'oh he's got grey hair, I'm going to get in and around him', and he had me on a bit of string for 90 minutes. I'll always tell people about that.

“Obviously I love Steven Gerrard and I think Frank Lampard is one of the best goal-scoring midfielders the country has ever seen, but I'll have to go with Tugay.”

Mark Noble

Who was the best player you have played with?

I would probably have to say Tugay at Blackburn. He could put a ball on a sixpence, despite being a chain-smoker. He never relied on his pace though, he just strolled around.

Matt Jansen

He Fckin well did! Many a time! Normally right in front of his back 4! Heart in mouth every time he was last man! He had NO concept of 'get feckin rid!' At all!

Image result for keith andrews              Image result for tugay

Keith Andrews^                                    Tugay^

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

Look at assists comparison, and I bet gamst pederson has a far better assists ratio than Tugay, yet his last 3 to 4 seasons at the club were met with boos, week in, week out.. Or has time now romanticised him too..?

Of course MGP had more assists, he was a winger and set piece taker (albeit, as you you rightly say, an underappreciated one).

It's like saying that Scholes or Pirlo were less effective players because they set up fewer goals than Valencia or Camoranesi, apples & oranges.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Saxo4eva42 said:

Yes, it was awful when Tugay was instrumental in Hughes' management of our team to 3 cup semi finals and 2 European tours...

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Everyone's more or less agreed on the best players but that list provided by Glen contains some truly awful ones too, many of whom I can barely remember. 

If you stopped thinking about tax all the time you might do lol.

If we're going off all-time achievements, I'd have to pick:

Friedel

Salgado - P. Andersson - Babbel - Givet

Djorkaeff - Tugay - Ardiles - Duff

Santa Cruz - McCarthy

Subs: N.Gomes, Basturk, Baggio, Berg, Ooijer, Sukur, Vogel

Friedel apart, Domestic and European titles throughout the squad, and a couple of World Cups in there as well.

There's a case for Ooijer ahead of Givet (Though I don't think the former was natural left-back) and Kalinic might well be in contention in a few years.

Archived