BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain

Do we have a club/team captain yet? If we do then I must have missed it being confirmed.

Now that Captain Marvellous has departed there is an opportunity to appoint someone on merit rather than sympathy/longevity.

Mulgrew seems the obvious candidate, followed by Graham. Lenihan would be a choice for some but I'm not sure he deserves his premature status as a mainstay (yet), more that there is nobody better.

The fact it hasn't been announced yet leads me to think that the future of those candidates is unclear. No Sh.. Sherlock(!)

That being so I'd be looking for some commitment ahead of the season starting and would be very tempted to give the arm band to Bennett. He is certainly someone who would lead by example but whether he has the presence of Mulgrew is debatable. But a bird in the hand is worth two on a transfer list...

What has 23 year old Lenihan with 63 appearances done to warrant captain of the club? I'm bemused. He doesn't even have 100 senior league appearances yet. Surely handing him captaincy is rather premature.

You have Whittingham, Mulgrew, Graham, Conway, Caddis, Evans (if fit), and Ward (dare I say it IF FIT) all vastly more experienced. I don't understand this rush to see Lenihan handed the captaincy. 

I don't understand the rationale in delaying naming a captain. All this does is fuel speculation about players being sold.

For me Mulgrew is the obvious choice with Bennett as vice captain.

59 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't understand the rationale in delaying naming a captain. All this does is fuel speculation about players being sold.

For me Mulgrew is the obvious choice with Bennett as vice captain.

I can understand the announcement being delayed until this week. If it isn't announced by the game, I will be getting worried. 

Agree with your 1 and 2 

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What has 23 year old Lenihan with 63 appearances done to warrant captain of the club? I'm bemused. He doesn't even have 100 senior league appearances yet. Surely handing him captaincy is rather premature.

You have Whittingham, Mulgrew, Graham, Conway, Caddis, Evans (if fit), and Ward (dare I say it IF FIT) all vastly more experienced. I don't understand this rush to see Lenihan handed the captaincy. 

Didn't I say Lenihan was premature?

Agreed about Whittingham. His vast experience puts him up there too. Good shout.

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wasn't specifically targeting that post at you but more the people that have been constantly putting his name forward.

I would say it is down to his aggressive and battling approach. I would put him down the list personally due to the lack of experience you touched on and the availability of better candidates 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Reports on Twitter than Mulgrew has confirmed that he wants to stay for the season 

No, no, no... You've got it all wrong.

Mowbray told Mulgrew he's not going anywhere so, as is always the unfortunate case in modern-day football, manager power once again succeeds over an in-demand player, and Mulgrew is just doing as he's told.

P.S. I'm going for a walk on the water with Tony later, want to come?

3 minutes ago, Phil T said:

No, no, no... You've got it all wrong.

Mowbray told Mulgrew he's not going anywhere so, as is always the unfortunate case in modern-day football, manager power once again succeeds over an in-demand player, and Mulgrew is just doing as he's told.

P.S. I'm going for a walk on the water with Tony later, want to come?

Sorry, I'm lost :blink:

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's suggesting that he doesn't want to stay but is doing as he's told, but presented it in an ironic fashion as to satirise the fact that modern day players always thrown their toys out of the pram in order to get their own way.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You must have missed a certain post insinuating that Mowbray has told Mulgrew (and Lenihan) that they are going nowhere and that's that.

Players have full power over their destiny if another club comes knocking. Assuming Mowbray isn't trying to kick either of them out the door all the way to Sheffield, which we all know he isn't, it's surely Mulgrew's and Lenihan's decision to stay if they want to, or to go - not Mowbray's decision.

Nevertheless, as I'd love to believe that there is loyalty among all players, that money isn't king, and that football is full of morally good individuals, I just wanted to set the record straight.

Archived