BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2017/18

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dont know him at all. Only what ive read in newspapers online. No idea on how well hes done, his tactics, style of play or his management style

I read he's took them through the swedish leagues and obv the Europa league where he was unlucky against arsenal. I thought I saw you mention him for another job that came up not longer after they played arsenal but I could be wrong

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Apparently the ostersunds manager Graham Potter in line for the Swansea job. What you think of that move chadster

He's very tactically inclined, likes switching formations and using players in different positions to get the most out of them against various oppositions. Favors an attacking style of play with lots of possession, and he's had a remarkable record when it comes to giving players who are seemingly over the hill or have failed elsewhere second chances and turning their careers around. Östersund's results have waned so far this season, but that's likely mostly due to criminal charges being brought up against their highly influential (and possibly crooked) chairman. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I read he's took them through the swedish leagues and obv the Europa league where he was unlucky against arsenal. I thought I saw you mention him for another job that came up not longer after they played arsenal but I could be wrong

I remember him as a player for Stoke and WBA which I mention for either job as he was a former player. 

looking and reading articles he seems impressive and fair play to him going overseas to be manager and coach.  

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No surprise, but a terrible appointment nonetheless.

not an appointment I would have made. In don't understand the logic of appointing McClaren and sacking Holloway, but I don't understand why they sacked him. I would have for Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe. 

18 minutes ago, Commondore said:

He's very tactically inclined, likes switching formations and using players in different positions to get the most out of them against various oppositions. Favors an attacking style of play with lots of possession, and he's had a remarkable record when it comes to giving players who are seemingly over the hill or have failed elsewhere second chances and turning their careers around. Östersund's results have waned so far this season, but that's likely mostly due to criminal charges being brought up against their highly influential (and possibly crooked) chairman. 

thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Commondore said:

He has done very well there, but the championship is a huge step up. Brave move by Swansea. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

not an appointment I would have made. In don't understand the logic of appointing McClaren and sacking Holloway, but I don't understand why they sacked him. I would have for Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe. 

Yeah, doesnt look the best job, not a good squad, dont think theyve spent much money recently, can see them being near the bottom and with him in charge I wouldnt be surprised to see them go down.

Holloway is not a good manager, bar his time at Blackpool hes never impressed me really, popular more for his personality I think, that said I dont think he did that bad last season, maybe a harsh sacking even if he isnt the best manager to begin with.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yeah, doesnt look the best job, not a good squad, dont think theyve spent much money recently, can see them being near the bottom and with him in charge I wouldnt be surprised to see them go down.

Holloway is not a good manager, bar his time at Blackpool hes never impressed me really, popular more for his personality I think, that said I dont think he did that bad last season, maybe a harsh sacking even if he isnt the best manager to begin with.

what are the aims for QPR cos promotion for them has been unachievable last season

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Telegraph reporting that Stoke want Rowett as their new manager and are discussing compensation with Derby.

If Stoke do get Rowett then I could see Mick McCarthy ending up at Derby. Might be the type of manager they need after the last few failed promotion attempts. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Telegraph reporting that Stoke want Rowett as their new manager and are discussing compensation with Derby.

He's only been a manager since May 2012 and this would be his fourth job. He was unlucky at Birmingham to be sacked but he left the others of his own volition. He has had one promotion with Burton from League Two via the playoffs. I really don't get why his stock is so high.

• Moderation Lead

I think Gary Rowett is miles better than Garry Monk tbh. I really did never get the hype of the latter which he seems to believe far too much for me.

Rowett is decent, but I think the problems at Derby run deep and they seem to bottle it when it matters. As someone else alluded to, maybe someone like a McCarthy would be a good bet for them....

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He's only been a manager since May 2012 and this would be his fourth job. He was unlucky at Birmingham to be sacked but he left the others of his own volition. He has had one promotion with Burton from League Two via the playoffs. I really don't get why his stock is so high.

I've never got over his comments after we played them on a Tuesday night at their place and he had the brass neck afterwards to comment on Rovers turning up and putting loads of men behind the ball and not attacking them. His Birmingham side was one of the most defensive and negative teams we came up against over the last few years and for him to even think about criticising others for putting men behind the ball given his approach at home was bizarre.

A quick glance at some Derby forums and it seems a lot of their supporters aren't too keen on his approach either.

His highest finish in his career was last season with Derby in the play-offs and he's never won promotion. Yet he's hailed as some up and coming genius whilst Lambert is slated despite having won several promotions and managed at the top level for several years. Interesting.

On 18/05/2018 at 15:28, JHRover said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44171269

£90 million loss for the year and a wage bill of £112 million? Alright for some! Not a problem for the FFP gurus!

I've heard a rumour that our wage bill for the season just gone will be a staggering (IMO) 60 Million. So when people were touting Benitez as a challenger to Guardiola and Dyche for manager of the season what planet were they on exactly? 112 million in the championship? That is mental.

Just now, longsiders1882 said:

I've heard a rumour that our wage bill for the season just gone will be a staggering (IMO) 60 Million. So when people were touting Benitez as a challenger to Guardiola and Dyche for manager of the season what planet were they on exactly? 112 million in the championship? That is mental.

The irony of it all is that FFP rules were supposedly introduced in order to encourage sustainable spending and discourage clubs from gambling on promotion, however from what I can see the opposite has occurred. Clubs can still spend their way to promotion if they want, only they are under more pressure time wise. So nothing stopping Wolves from going and spending £40 million and getting promoted, on the contrary they have won all sorts of plaudits for doing it. Nothing stopping Newcastle coming down and blowing the division away with their £100 million+ wage bill and £50 million transfer spend, on the contrary Benitez is hailed as a genius and has everyone feeling sorry for him that he hasn't been allowed countless more millions in the Premier League.

Aston Villa get relegated yet go and spend fortunes in a bid to go straight back up. This is their 2nd crack of the whip having brought in people like John Terry on astronomical sums. Middlesbrough try to go straight back up so spend £50 million last summer and miss out on promotion. We can fully expect Stoke to do similar.

In years gone by the consequences of missing out on promotion after heavy spending were massive losses that would need to be plugged once parachute money ran out. These days the added pressure comes from potential FFP sanctions (as unlikely as they are given only half a dozen teams have received punishments). So rather than not spending as much clubs instead go and spend but perhaps even more to try and guarantee promotion. For those that it works for happy days as the worst they get is a fine which QPR have shown can be delayed and dragged along for several years, in the meantime they can have another few hits at promotion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DE. said:

If Stoke do get Rowett then I could see Mick McCarthy ending up at Derby. Might be the type of manager they need after the last few failed promotion attempts. 

think Rowett would be good appointment for Stoke. huge rebuilding job there 

I don't feel McCarthy would be the right fit for Derby. someone like Paul Hurst would be better choice IMO. 

Derby have confirmed that Rowett has sought permission to speak to Stoke. Sounds like he's off then as clubs don't usually release these sort of things unless the manager has told them he wants to go.

So much for 'the Derby way'.

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’d be waiting until after the play-off final...

Why? I reckon Hurst will move to Ipswich. 

Warne will stay at Rotherham..rather they win the playoffs than Shrewsbury

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Gary or lee

Gary

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why? I reckon Hurst will move to Ipswich. 

Warne will stay at Rotherham..rather they win the playoffs than Shrewsbury

Why? Because my opinion doesn’t match your opinion.

Harsh on Shrewsbury. They deserve it in my book. Football doesn’t work that way though.

50 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Why? Because my opinion doesn’t match your opinion.

Harsh on Shrewsbury. They deserve it in my book. Football doesn’t work that way though.

I was asking why? It was very genuine question. 

Can I ask why you think Hurst will go Sunderland instead of Ipswich?