BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

I don't know what happened to the Blackburn thread, but recently our lovely town made the national news for being the 'take-away capital of the UK' along with the embarrassing yet unsurprising statistic that 70% of people in the town are overweight/obese.

Poundland

Anyway, with that in mind I want to ask if there are any decent fish and chip places (take-away) around here any more - especially ones where the fish batter doesn't make up 50% of the 'fish' and especially ones where the chips aren't a soggy mess.

Edited by Husky
link

26 minutes ago, Husky said:

I don't know what happened to the Blackburn thread, but recently our lovely town made the national news for being the 'take-away capital of the UK' along with the embarrassing yet not surprisingly statistic that 70% of people are overweight/obese.

Anyway, with that in mind I was going to ask if there are any decent fish and chip places (take-away) around here any more - especially ones where the fish batter doesn't make up 50% of the 'fish' and especially ones where the chips aren't a soggy mess.

Hollytree chip shop is brilliant. Head and shoulders above every other chip shop in Blackburn.

If you want to venture out of Blackburn a bit then Clayton Street in Great Harwood is as equally good. You can sit in there too.

• Like 1

Thanks. I might have to give that one a try.

I just can't understand why there are so many terrible chippies around these days (had some terrible chips in Blackpool at the weekend too). Surely it's not that difficult to make fish and chips?

• Moderation Lead

Most seem to double up as Chinese takeaways these days so while the Chinese grub is quality, the fish and chips can suffer imo. That being said, my local Kam Po is great at both!

• Like 1

Many moons ago, while waiting to join the RAF I had a job as a van lad for Wadnos delivering consumables to chippies. frying fat, dried peas etc. It was brilliant, two free dinners a day, which to a hollow legged 17 year old, was heaven. I can't think a a bad chip shop that we ate in, but that might have been to the driver scheduling his deliveries around the good ones for the lunch-time drop. The good chip shops were the ones that used a lot of frying fat, the hotter the fat the better the chips, but it also meant that they had to change it more often.

My favourite one was out in the back streets of Blackpool away from the front - No idea where, I've tried to find it many times since, unsuccessfully. Blackburn was never on my round, so never discovered the best of the Blackburn chip shops. But I did used to like the chinese on Stansfield Street with their bullet peas. And the Hake Boat on the Boulevard, but that was a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Many moons ago, while waiting to join the RAF I had a job as a van lad for Wadnos delivering consumables to chippies. frying fat, dried peas etc. It was brilliant, two free dinners a day, which to a hollow legged 17 year old, was heaven. I can't think a a bad chip shop that we ate in, but that might have been to the driver scheduling his deliveries around the good ones for the lunch-time drop. The good chip shops were the ones that used a lot of frying fat, the hotter the fat the better the chips, but it also meant that they had to change it more often.

My favourite one was out in the back streets of Blackpool away from the front - No idea where, I've tried to find it many times since, unsuccessfully. Blackburn was never on my round, so never discovered the best of the Blackburn chip shops. But I did used to like the chinese on Stansfield Street with their bullet peas. And the Hake Boat on the Boulevard, but that was a long time ago.

Would that be The Cottage, Newhouse Road, Marton, Blackpool, FY4 4JH?

Sit of the article which was in the guardian I believe focuses on the "shops" which were in competition I.e burger chips for a £1.00. That's the issue, it's cheap disasterious "meat" which if tested would most likely pose a risk to health with minimal actual meet content. Fish and chips itself you know better what your getting but it's these cheaper take outs which seemed to garner more focus. Now how many of these takeouts are 4/5 (v.good/excellent) on the council food hygiene rating? I'm prone to the odd curry with the lads nights but in Manchester in the radius I am within there's only 3 out of 17 usually which have that standard whilst a few are under regular inspection having scored 1/2s. Is enough available online when ordering concerning there food hygiene? If customers took a tour of some of these places they'd be truly shocked.

I see the 'rail service' between Blackburn and Manchester is still appalling . . in fact it seems to have got even worse.

A 1hr 40min Rail replacement bus service to return later on? Really? It seems they've been doing that for around a decade already. WTF is going on?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I see the 'thought police' soon put the gagging order on the comments page. :huh:

It says '43 comments' - but they've vanished. The comments page is the only thing worth reading in that rag.

Edited by Husky

1 hour ago, Husky said:

I see the 'thought police' soon put the gagging order on the comments page. :huh:

It says '43 comments' - but they've vanished. The comments page is the only thing worth reading in that rag.

I read a few last night. A local paper shouldn't be a platform for the neighbourhood racists. Is Witton Park a known meeting place for the Klan?

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I read a few last night. A local paper shouldn't be a platform for the neighbourhood racists. Is Witton Park a known meeting place for the Klan?

I missed it. Can you give a summary of the comments.

As for the parks - well Witton is quite possibly a Klan meeting point and I suspect Corporation Park is still a Jihadi Terrorist Base

A town divided indeed.

• Like 1

Just now, Husky said:

I missed it. Can you give a summary of the comments.

As for the parks - well Witton is quite possibly a Klan meeting point and I suspect Corporation Park is still a Jihadi Terrorist Base

A town divided indeed.

Mostly about grooming in Rotherham, which had no relevance to the video of a young white lad making racist remarks to an Asian taxi driver and trying to punch him.

On 20/08/2017 at 18:54, blueboy3333 said:

Mostly about grooming in Rotherham, which had no relevance to the video of a young white lad making racist remarks to an Asian taxi driver and trying to punch him.

Did nobody quote the then MP for Blackburn Jack Straw? I'm sure he said 'vulnerable white girls are easy meat for horny Asian men' some years ago.

On 20/08/2017 at 00:13, blueboy3333 said:

That video is absolutely hilarious. The lads must be watching too much Conor McGregor :lol: I love how windy they are, one little weasel trying to encourage his pack to join in because he is scared he will get beaten up alone. I apologize to any weasels reading this who may be insulted by the comparison to that little scrote. The taxi driver didn't beat him up anywhere near enough. 

We have similar "packs" in Ireland. Not really race based though, anyone is fair game realy.  A few Bacardi breezers and they think the world is their Octogon.  If you caught one alone they would require an immediate change of underpants :rolleyes: :lol: but they are very "tough men" when they have numbers!

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

On 9 August 2017 at 22:09, Dunnfc said:

Sit of the article which was in the guardian I believe focuses on the "shops" which were in competition I.e burger chips for a £1.00. That's the issue, it's cheap disasterious "meat" which if tested would most likely pose a risk to health with minimal actual meet content. Fish and chips itself you know better what your getting but it's these cheaper take outs which seemed to garner more focus. Now how many of these takeouts are 4/5 (v.good/excellent) on the council food hygiene rating? I'm prone to the odd curry with the lads nights but in Manchester in the radius I am within there's only 3 out of 17 usually which have that standard whilst a few are under regular inspection having scored 1/2s. Is enough available online when ordering concerning there food hygiene? If customers took a tour of some of these places they'd be truly shocked.

Was " disasterious " deliberate ?  What a great word - a combination of disaster  and mysterious. I've fallen foul of a few of those takeaways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14 September 2017 at 21:23, Husky said:

Anyone for a Darwexit? :lol:

I hear it's the happening place these days.

Although I was born in Blackburn we left when I was about 5. Obviously I've been back to Blackburn hundreds of times to watch the Rovers but I'd never really been nearer to Darwen than Ewood Park. I had a small problem with my watch a few weeks ago so I looked around for a local watchmaker who was authorised to repair " Rolex ".

I noticed there was a watchmaker in Darwen called " Ian Walsh " who had the necessary qualifications. I dropped my watch off in the car so I didn't hang around the town but when I had to retrieve it the car was in the garage so I went by train. I got off the train and walked down the hill through the town to the guy's shop. He's on that curve facing the " Spitfire " in the little square.

What a really nice little town. I couldn't help but be impressed, especially with the " Weatherspoons " on the way down from the station. How long has that been open ?

I'd phoned a watchmaker in Cheshire that quoted me £125 to do the job, " Ian Walsh " did it for £50. " Rolex " would always want to completely service the watch no matter what the problem is. Last time I had it done it was about £550 ! He'll be getting my business in future.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces