BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

I notice Blackburn Arena is hosting a Pro Wrestling event in 2018 which will also be live on Freesports. Not WWE but certainly featuring people who have been associated with them plus notable UK names. Its not the first time a wrestling event has been held there. WWE (then WWF of course) did a show there in 1994 and apparently featured a match between Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels. Speaking of Michaels he's been said to be a Rovers fan and infact there is a video on Youtube of an interview at West Ham v Rovers in 1995. I'm not sure he actually is a huge fan as I've never seen him mention the club otherwise. He had family in England (lived in Reading as a kid for a while) so it looks like he had relatives here at some point. I'm guessing he may have been on a promotional UK tour at the time.

Wonder why more events don't seem to be held at the Arena besides the obvious? KGH has held wrestling events (though mostly those with people dressed up as WWE wrestlers and are about as simplistic as you can present wrestling) not to mention the other events hosted there. There's only been one concert (Status Quo over 20 years ago) apparently in the entire time its been open. I remember vaguely going there when I was very young. Knowing what I know now it was probably immediately after it opened. Also went a few times in the late 90's.

Never did learn to skate either. 

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, riverkiller said:

I believe that there was a Panorama program on telly the other night that was exclusively devoted to Blackburn. I didn't see it myself, however I am mildly surprised that it hasn't been discussed here. Why would that be ?

I didn't see it either. Will that do ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 hours ago, riverkiller said:

I believe that there was a Panorama program on telly the other night that was exclusively devoted to Blackburn. I didn't see it myself, however I am mildly surprised that it hasn't been discussed here. Why would that be ?

Possibly because almost everyone has been banned?

There was nothing on the first program in 2007 and then the updated program (2017) that anyone living in Blackburn 20 years ago couldn't have told you back then.

'Asian' population increasing tenfold, white or mixed schools becoming Asian, whites leaving (or dying off), pubs closing down and turned into Islamic centres, dying nightlife, state funding and building of more 'Islamic schools and mosques', segregation, blah blah! blah!

Available on BBC iPlayer for more of Trump's shithole evidence. LOL!

Edited by Husky

I am from, but don't live in Blackburn. Haven't done for 15 years. Thought this might be a place to come to to get some reaction to what is a sensitive issue. Just think it is strange that not one comment has been made.

Don't worry though, there are 15 pages of discussion on this on programme on pne online.

Edited by riverkiller

I didn’t know about the programme  but did watch it as a result of your post. I gather you haven’t watched it? I wonder why you would raise the topic?

Panorama didn’t cover any issues I wasn’t already generally aware of. Did the programme put the town in a good light? Possibly not.

I feel issues we need to address as a country, not just in Blackburn, were covered but not in any depth. 

The prime message which struck home for me was barely mentioned. Poverty, the terribly depressing state of the town and lack of opportunity. If we had governments prepared to tackle these issues with massive, long term capital programmes it would go along way towards alleviating these problems. None have the courage or foresight to do so. 

Solve these social issues and questions of segregated communities in small local towns might well disappear as wealth and opportunity return. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Integration is a two-way street to be fair. Just because communities are very one-sided, doesn't mean all communities aren't at fault.

White people move out of areas that are getting more of an Asian influence and Asian people move to areas where they know people. Hardly a shocker, is it?

17 hours ago, riverkiller said:

I am from, but don't live in Blackburn. Haven't done for 15 years. Thought this might be a place to come to to get some reaction to what is a sensitive issue. Just think it is strange that not one comment has been made.

Don't worry though, there are 15 pages of discussion on this on programme on pne online.

Best get back there then before you miss something important.

On 01/02/2018 at 13:05, Roving Mick said:

The other Blackburn End causing people to get annoyed.

Blackburn Bus Station Needs To Get Its End Away

Don't know the type face that's used but it looks modern in keeping with the new builds what is disappointing for me is that the council hasn't extended the open spaces into more green areas creating a town centre common area like Harrogate for instance. Add to this the two empty pubs and the Dhs place on the old coconut grove site depresses what should be a lovely centre.

The car parks on this land should go and be changed into an open grassed area to be enjoyed for all in the summer then the empty pub buildings might be converted into something more useful to these surroundings.

Some very limited short term damaging thinking from Blackburn council in authorising car parks on this land.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

No wrestling at Blackburn Arena next month as the company promoting it has folded. They were supposed to be running Manchester Arena tomorrow night and I was still 50/50 on whether to go last minute. Save the money I suppose.

I can't imagine this will encourage Blackburn Arena (or Silver Blades whatever they call it) to put more events besides ice skating/hockey on. Unless WWE ever ask them again they did hold an event there around 93/94. Probably makes far more sense for them to tour the biggest arenas in UK though.

Edited by Vinjay17

Apparently Blackburn is "enjoying" the fastest growth in house prices in the UK at 16.4%

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/16/london-slump-shrinks-north-south-divide-in-house-prices

This article in the I newspaper caught my attention, partly because it's Blackburn but also because of the general point surrounding the evolution of the high stree

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/british-high-street-optimistic-blackburn/

On 22/03/2018 at 08:24, Paul said:

Apparently Blackburn is "enjoying" the fastest growth in house prices in the UK at 16.4%

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/16/london-slump-shrinks-north-south-divide-in-house-prices

This article in the I newspaper caught my attention, partly because it's Blackburn but also because of the general point surrounding the evolution of the high stree

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/british-high-street-optimistic-blackburn/

Putting it into protective Blackburn had hit next to near rock bottom so to show an improvement is going to sound good problem is can they sustain it and go on from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Local firm SG aluminium just entered administration and is a company that has been around for a while. I remembered the name as one of the ex-directors of Rovers (Iain Stanners) previously owned the company. Made some money (not 7 figures or anything like that but still on noted in past club accounts) from the stadium rebuilding (not just Ewood actually but some other clubs too) as did Robert Coar and George Root. Speaking of Root he was mentioned in an article on the official site not long ago due to his position as secretary of the Community Trust. Pretty sure Coar is still around though he hasn't threatened to sue any fans lately.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16092462.33-jobs-lost-as-blackburn-firm-goes-into-administration/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Also saw an article complaining about Blackburn town centre Morrisons. Someone said they haven't been back due to a negative experience shortly after it opened. That was 30 years ago talk about holding a grudge lol. I have nothing on that guy!

Edited by Vinjay17

One of the main problems with Blackburn I feel is the closure of much of its heavy Engineering/Manufacturing,this for me has led to a massive atrophy of our local economy.

Yates and Thom

Philips 

Royal Ordnance

Cherry Tree Machine

Star Paper

Netlon

East Lancashire Coachbuilders.....and so many more.

Established,large employers of skilled men and women...never replaced.I have to travel outside Blackburn now for skilled employment,I do wonder sometimes what sort of future the young Kids of this town have,the vast majority probably not University material.

Without question has added to the degeneration of a once Industry-leading Town.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

12 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

One of the main problems with Blackburn I feel is the closure of much of its heavy Engineering/Manufacturing,this for me has led to a massive atrophy of our local economy.

Yates and Thom

Philips 

Royal Ordnance

Cherry Tree Machine

Star Paper

Netlon

East Lancashire Coachbuilders.....and so many more.

Established,large employers of skilled men and women...never replaced.I have to travel outside Blackburn now for skilled employment,I do wonder sometimes what sort of future the young Kids of this town have,the vast majority probably not University material.

Without question has added to the degeneration of a once Industry-leading Town.

You missed Clayton Goodfellow Ltd where I was a board member who were one of the best along with Foster Yates & Thom Ltd.

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Nothing biased then I'm sure...

Don't make sarcastic comments about what you have no idea about. Anyone who knew Clayton Goodfellow would tell you it was a superb engineering company,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Al said:

You missed Clayton Goodfellow Ltd where I was a board member who were one of the best along with Foster Yates & Thom Ltd.

Without question Al a great old Company.Was looking at some old photos on Cottontown....I believe they were commended for their production efforts during the War years.Made the Winching gear for the Mulberry Harbour D-Day landings!My Grandmother worked in the 'Bolt Shop' (?) during the late 50's

http://www.cottontown.org/Other Industry/Pages/Engineering-and-Electronics.aspx#5

Clayton Goodfellow

Walkersteel

Walparum

Blackburn now? too reliant on low paid service sector jobs and pound shops..and people wonder why it's a relatively poor town!